1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

53" HDTV for sale...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Dec 2, 2006.

1. JKulp42757

JKulp42757 Well-Known Member

Have you been to a Best Buy that has a Magnolia Theater? My local Best Buy has one, and they have several 67-73 inch displays running 1080p feeds and Blu Ray movies...it's stunning!

http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat96200050037

2. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

Hey John,
    What are you doing for the audio portion of your new setup?
    I'm just curious.

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I'm pretty well covered there, so I didn't need any new audio equipment. Here's what I'm currently using:

- Yamaha HTR-5760 7.1 A/V Receiver
    - Marantz MA6100 Monobloc amp
    - (1) Axiom VP150 center speaker
    - (2) Axiom QS8 surround speakers
    - (2) Axiom M3 rear surround speakers
    - (2) Seattle Sound floor-standing mains
    - (1) SVS 20-39CS Subwoofer

4. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

NICE!

I must say John.. You have a SWEET set up! :tu:

5. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:doh:
    Knowing someone with the unit is definitely the way to go. Although I never thought of bringing the DVD player into the store with an HDMI cable that would certainly be better than anything they have. Although I haven't seen the new set ups for the 1080p movies (DVDs, do we have a name for this yet) hopefully it improves the feed they send to all the monitors for better shopping.

I'm amazed upscaling from 480p to 1080p works. there is no new information right? they're just adding pixels, although I guess there could be some blending algorithms they run on the image like when you change image size in photoshop.

How shocking is the difference between the 480p and the upscaled to 1080p image, I mean when you look at it.

Yeah, so when can we come over :D

6. Blob

Blob Well-Known Member

I have a Harmony remote (not as nice as the one that John is getting) and it's great. The first universal remote I've seen that is truly flexible enough to handle most everything you'd need it to do. The macros you can design are really cool. For example, one button turns on my TV, Satelite box, and turns on my AV receiver and switches it to the TV input! Another button switches everything over to DVD input.
    I don't have a HDTV, but I've been looking at the JVC LCOS sets - very nice! Maybe I'm paranoid, (and uneducated about them) but DLP technology seems a little scary to me. Somethign about all the moving parts, like "millions of tiny mirrors" and color wheels, but isn't that millions of things that can break?

7. peter_jam

peter_jam Well-Known Member

Was the no burn-in the feature that made you go for a DLP instead of a plasma? Personally, burn-in really scares the crap out of me, I try to be really careful with what I view in my living room set.
    My bedroom tv is a CRT, which means no chance of burn in, but it's also HD ready. Since here in Mexico no one broadcasts HD yet, I really haven't been able to see what all the hype is about. I'm planning on getting a xbox 360 in the next few days, the fact that all of the games are now in H.D. is what made me want one. I hope that I'm pleased with the experience. I'm a huge movie freak, and quality is everything for me.
    Oh, and for anyone thinking about calibrating their sets, you should listen to John and everyone else who recommends it. When I calibrated my TV I was amazed to see the details I was missing. It takes some time to get used to the decreased brightness, but its really worth it. I personally recomend AVIA for you calibration needs.

8. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

John, make sure to get an extended warranty on the DLP screen WITH free bulb replacement(s). I've heard the bulbs don't last the 20,000 hours they claim. Some TV (JVC LCoS, I think) had the bulbs go at 900 hours on average!

Good call on passing on the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players for now. The format war is a lose-lose situation for consumers and producers. Give them time. If I was to place my bets, it will be on HD movie downloads, a la iTunes. Maybe 720p to start, then upgrading to 1080p later. As we've found out, bandwidth is cheap, fast, and getting faster every year. Hard drives are the same!

Edit: Oh yeah, get a Wii, its really fun and gives a good workout at times! (480p only though)

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Exactly. :nod: Of course DVDa are only encoded at 480 lines of resolution, and that can't be changed, but the upscaling algorithms are very good at interpolating the "missing" information when it converts it to 1080p by looking at the surrounding pixels.

I, too, am surprised at how well it works!

I don't want to overstate it, so I wouldn't characterize it as "shocking", but to my eyes the difference is significant--particularly on large displays.

It's not nearly the leap in quality that, say, VHS compared to DVD is, but perhaps Laser Disc to DVD is a fairly good comparison. DVDs upscaled to 1080p certainly approach HD quality, especially on titles with reference transfers, such as the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (extended editions), but HD has more detail that discerning viewers can easily pick up--especially on large displays and projector setups.

That played a huge part in my choice. We were very careful with our current television, but Lisa likes to watch a lot of 4x3 material and after a while that takes a toll on sets that are subject to burn-in problems. The TV I'm selling has minor burn-in from the 4x3 material, and that was with both of us being ultra-careful to never leave it on a non-widescreen channel when we were not actively watching something.

It will be very nice to not have to worry about that anymore. It also makes me more apt to buy a PS3 and play games on it.

I also use AVIA, and it's excellent. I'm thinking about having a professional ISF calibration done this time, since DLP sets do not change color rendition over time, nor do they need convergence adjustments.

Samsung doesn't claim these bulbs last that long. I think you may be thinking of LED DLP televisions. The bulb in the set that I'm buying is expected to last 6,000-8,000 hours. That should be good for a couple years of heavy use, and new bulbs are easy to change and are only a couple hundred bucks (prices are always dropping, too).

Most extended warranties that I looked at only cover the lamp if it fails before the rated lifetime of 6k hours (there is a counter in the service menu). Still, I will probably pony up for a 4-year extended warranty towards the end of the manufacture's warranty. :)

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I messed with the Harmony remote all weekend and it totally rocks. Here's a more detailed review I wrote this morning.

11. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

Great Home Theater set-up you've got going john!

My girlfriend and I just got our first home and have been putting together a theater room as well.
    We went with Pioneer plasma, and are still saving for the surround sound wet-up :tucool:
    (we don't watch sports or game on it, and always stretch the littel 4:3 that we watch, so I am not worried about burn-in)

quick question - I noticed you have a leather sectional - how has it held up to the dog claws?
    I have leather and no dog, but have been considering getting one...

Also - I ordered the harmony 550 (haven't got it yet) but hopefully I am as happy with it as you are the 880!
    (I know it doesn't have the rechargable battery or motion sensor, but I think it'll do ok fo us)

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Hey SCHTEEVIE, good to see you around again! :tucool:

The dogs' claws were a big concern for us, too, but in reality it's not been a problem at all. We try to keep them trimmed, but a couple of times their claws got pretty long and still no problems. They are both allowed to get on and off the couch freely, and one of Turtle's favorite pastimes is to take a big leap from the seats over the back of the couch, so it's been well tested. :)

13. SCHTEEVIE

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've been out of the loop a while - this was "get the first house year"
    and it pretty much destroyed all sence of normalcy and routine in our lives... but It's been almost a year, and "most" of the renovations are done!
    I managed to stay consistent with working out through most of it, but there were a few months that the gym just didn't happen.
    Anyway - I am back, and this is my "one stop shop" for fitness info :bow:

Good to hear your dogs haven't killed the leather.
    A friend of mine has trained his dog to deal with a "dremel" grinder for triming the claws - this both keeps then trimmed and rounded so sharp edges are removed.

Anyway - I think if I get a dog I'll try to train it to stay off the couch in the theater room - I was lucky enough to be able to have a dedicated room for my office/hometheater in the house; and working in the film/TV industry allows my to justify it all as a tax write off! :claphigh:

Here are some shots of my HT room in progress - still need some final touches including surround sound (as seen by the dangling speaker wires, and empty spot for the receiver)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Wow - awesome room!! It looks high-tech, but cozy. You must love being in there. Great computer set-up, too.

I love home theater pictures. :)

My new TV will be here in mere hours--maybe as early as noon. :spaz:

15. SCHTEEVIE

Thanks John!

Yeah - I love my "man cave" - one of my girl friend's co-workers coined that name when she saw it, and I think it fits :madpimp:
    As much as it is the ultimate play room with a plasma HDTV and both a mac and a PC; it is a great place to get my work done - when I am editing, I can sit a client on the sofa watching the plasma, and show them something I am working on from the mac.

I'm looking forward to your report about your new TV - and maybe some updated shots of your HT set-up? :cool:

Anyway - I had been away for a while, so from an objective person that was around right from the beginning, and then skipped a bunch of time in the middle - congratulations on all your recent success and the amazing physical progress you coninue to make - it is truely inspiring!

16. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

So far so good! :tucool:

I'm still playing, but here's a quick shot I took after I calibrated it. It's running in 1080p mode. :eek:

new_tv.jpg

HDTV is even more amazing. :)

17. SCHTEEVIE

WOW.
    That is an SD DVD upressed?
    It looks great!

I am also impressed with the viewing anlge - When I was researching last year, I couldn't find a DLP that had a good viewing angle
    - but that looks great off the "sweet spot" axis!!
    :tu:

What do you use to calibrate? DVE or AVIA?

18. SeanB.

SeanB. Active Member

Nice setup. I have the Harmony 659 - an early predecessor to the 880. I'm thinking of upgrading as mine isn't responding very well anymore. What's the battery life like on the 880 - how long will it go between charges?

19. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

:nod: :tucool:

The horizontal viewing angle is excellent out to around 140 degrees. Vertically there is far less play, but that's not a problem unless you have lots of people standing over the TV looking down. Even then it's quite watchable, but just not as bright.

AVIA. But I'm probably going to get DVE as well, as it seems more suited towards digital televisions.

I wish I could tell you, but I return the remote to the cradle each night. I can say that on most nights it's still got all 3 bars, and even after a very heavy day of use the lowest it's been is two bars.

20. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

HDTV -- 1080i source, upconverted to 1080p...

new_tv2.jpg

new_tv3.jpg