1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

!

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by GatorDeb, Jun 7, 2011.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

I really did write a subject, "Help me with a beginner lifting routine!" Don't know what happened to it.

145 lbs, 5'4" female, just had my body fat done with an impedance machine and it's 29.XX" and it also gave me LBM and water weight and other info. I want to do it again in 6 weeks. What's a good beginner's program that WILL give me results in those 6 weeks? I will be training with 500-1000 caloric deficit a day. Not optimal, but there will be some results. I'm at the gym daily. Is it better to go through a whole body circuit once 3X a week, do chest/back, biceps/triceps, legs/shoulders split? How many reps and sets? Pyramids? How long a day, how many days a week?

They calculated my RMR at 1300-1400 and if I just have light activity, sitting, walking to work, etc, at ~1800-1900 calories per day. Do you think this is accurate?

Thanks! :)

#1 GatorDeb, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

What are your goals? I am assuming fat loss while maintaining lean mass?

BTW -- You should probably have a more descriptive thread title than an exclamation point .... people will be more likely to click on your thread if they know what the topic is. :)

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Don't forget to account for your workouts when calculating your calories. If you end up working out 3 days a week or more for around 45 minutes, I would think 2000-2200 calories would be maintenance level at that point. If 29% body fat is correct you are near the top of the healthy range for women, and I wouldn't cut more than 500 calories from that or you risk feeling fatigued all the time among other things.

I would suggest that you get a caliper, too. Impedance tests are not very accurate in many cases. You can get a decent caliper at most nutrition and supplement stores for around 10 bucks. Then it is just a matter of learning how take measurements with it.

Since you are already in the healthy bodyfat range, I would also recommend doing a good bit of heavy lifting since you are going to want to keep as much muscle as you can. I would suggest the big compound lifts to get the most bang for your metaphorical buck. Check out Starting Strength from Mark Rippetoe or Stronglifts 5x5 for some ideas.

The big thing to me is being consistent and it also can help to keep your workouts simple. A few lifts a few days a week can go a long way. Whatever you do, do something! :lol:

:gl:

I assumed the same thing...

#3 FatLenny, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011