1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

500lb back squat club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by gazareth, Jan 14, 2010.

1. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

The challenge is simple:

Squat 500lbs or 227.5kg to IPF-legal depth (below parallel / so that the top of the knee goes below the hip/thigh crease) in no more than a belt. Knee wraps / squat suits are not allowed.

At the moment my best lift is 396lbs (180kg) but am pretty sure I have 190-200 in the tank, so I'm approaching 450lbs.

My goal for the year is 210kg, but if I stay injury-free then there's no reason I can't get the big 500 in 2010.

2. cajunman

cajunman Well-Known Member

If that is in the 90kg class, I can think of a few reasons why I might bet against you (at least for a 2010 lift). Now, if you intend on emulating the great Paul Anderson (or the lesser known Hugh Cassidy) and eating your way through sticking points, then your odds are slightly better...:gl:

3. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Yeah, I concede that if I drop bodyweight it will take me longer, but I will do it. I'm carrying a lot of fat so I'm pretty sure I can shed a fair bit of fat before I start to lose strength.

One day (in many years!) I hope to have a pop at the GBPF unequipped squat record. In the 90kg class, it's 250kg (550).

4. cajunman

Oh, I think you can do it, I just don't think one year for an unequipped squat to go from 400 to 500 in the 90kg class is realistic.

I'll give you my take, FWIW: a well-rounded unequipped lifter should have his total shake out roughly 35% SQ, 25% B, 40% DL. Seeing where your over-unders are should tell you (confirm) where your strengths and weaknesses are. In some cases you may just be freaky strong in one lift - a Karwoski squat, a Celli bench, a Peoples deadlift - OR, if you are not blowing minds with your overs, you may need work on your other lifts.

So, going to a 500 squat means your total should be somewhere over 600kg. Even if you just did Smolov for a year, your DL would increase as well, so you're looking at a 90-100 kg gain on your total even if your bench stagnates. Add in that a 500lb unequipped SQ in the 198s will put you on the medal platform in most countries (top 3 finish NOT number one, and that has the caveat that your other lifts are not shite) and I haven't seen too many people strike from 100 pounds away the year before.

210kg is a realistic goal for 2010. 500, or the British record, will be a longer haul (IMHO), and steel yourself for that. :tu:

5. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Thanks dude. I guess I'm partly just so encouraged by the progress of the last year or so. 12 months ago I was struggling through sets of 5-6 with barely 100kg and was dreaming of a 300lb squat :)

Going on the %s you posted, mine are about right - I would have thought that my bench was worse than that. I go in the middle of the order for squats and deads but am one of the first out for bench. I guess most others must have spent too much time on their bench press as youngsters or something :whistle:

6. cajunman

Ah yes, the most heartbreaking moment of every lifter's life is the realization that the early gains are over, you're no longer in the linear range of progress...:cry:...:mad:...it can make you :confused: as well...for a 90kg 400-500 raw squatter: I've seen guys put 50 lbs on the lift in a year, I've seen guys spend two years to gain 10, some plateau for years then have a breakthrough burst, you never know which it is until you're in the middle of it - and then you just have to slog through to the goal. :tu:

If your numbers are pretty well proportioned, and you can maintain that balance, when you hit a 500 squat you should have a 350ish bench and a DL approaching 600 - that's right outside elite numbers - some big picture to think about! :gl:

7. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

424 @ 219

8. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

9. MT77

MT77 Active Member

10. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Those are Ironwork II Olympic Weightlifting Shoes.:lol:

I tore my hip flexor a year ago in April, so I like to keep things narrow or else it hurts like hell.

I would add more than 30 pounds if I made those changes. My buddy who uses a powerlifting stance did it for 8 reps. Strong mofo, yet I deadlift more than him.

11. MT77

MT77 Active Member

Squatted 500 + spring collars today with a belt, and Inzer power pants. So not quite raw, but definitely not in a suit / wraps / etc. Getting close. Walked out, competition depth, with commands.

12. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Looks like there are some with unfinished business here.here's to hoping I don't add to that pile. I'm in for this without strict regard to time frame.

Just hit 400 recently and would like to see 500 by 2015 at the very least, but I may have a shot in just a year. 500 pound squat near my 40th birthday next June would be a banner accomplishment.

Here we go.... :eek:

13. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

500 is a certifiable beast squat! :nod:

Good luck sir!

14. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Thanks. :)

410x1 today.

1 step closer...

15. petvan

petvan Active Member

my chicken legged 6'4 all legs frame got up and down on 245 today ;-) pretty sure I can do more than that, but man am I on my toes coming up.

I have decent flexibility (I think), but can't get the weight back.

Def not built for squatting and 500lb is realistically never going to happen..

16. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Ten months later....

Probably not getting this by June. Sitting at a PR single of 420 right now. Maybe in 2015 if all goes well.

17. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

+4 months...

Hit 422x3 last week with at least one rep in the tank. That should weigh in around 465-475 for a 1RM. Getting closer... Crossing fingers and working hard to get there by 2015(3-4 months left to add another 30-40 lbs).

:jumping:

18. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Pretty good estimate. Tested my max last week and got 470. I may have another five pounds I there, too.

470 Squat