1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

500 lb BB Back Squat Club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Bsheller, May 13, 2008.

1. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

Well, I passed 400 on the squat and I'm sure there have got to be a few others around here that have or are ready to hit that milestone so lets get rolling to 500!

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah my 1RM squat is unknown, but I have done 420# pretty easily. I'm not actively aiming at 500#, but since my deadlift goal this year is 550# I would expect to move that squat towards 500#, possibly most of the way. On the other hand, I'm going to concentrate on the deadlift at the moment.

3. Brutus

Brutus Active Member

Seems like very few replies, so I guess I'll try and get to this milestone by say...4th of July 2009?

4. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

A 500lb squat is a damn good one. That would be awesome if we got a few people reaching this goal....

5. Brutus

Brutus Active Member

Well, hopefully I'll be there before too long. I'm currently approaching 400lbs rather quickly after a month of lifting, so in another 14 months I don't think 500lbs is TOO unreasonable. Then again, I've only been lifting for about a month....

6. betastas

betastas Well-Known Member

If you don't mind gear then I'm there. Otherwise, I have much work to do. A 500 raw at my BW would be world-class.

7. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

I use wrist straps when I max out so gear is in. I try to do my reps without them to increase my grip, but for a max, the straps come on.

8. betastas

You're talking about straps on the DL, right? It would be pretty insane to use straps when squatting. :lol:

9. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Glad you cleared this up I was so confused.

10. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

Well it appears I wrote that in the wrong thread :lol:

11. Brutus

Brutus Active Member

Yeah, any sort of gear is out of the question for me, especially considering I own none.

12. betastas

I'll still try to get 500 raw, but I don't see it happening until I hit a solid 82.5 kg instead of my current mid-range weigh-in. That would probably be a year away at the best estimate though.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I was just going to remark on that.

Dunno what I could squat suited. I know my brother got some extra pounds on his squat with a suit, but I think being old is sort of like being permanently suited - my hips are pretty stiff and resilient as it is.

14. betastas

It would be an experience for sure. I think you'd find the experience to be pretty enjoyable. You tend to enjoy things that are awkward and difficult, and half the fun of a squat suit is just getting it on (the other half is taking it off). You can always find gently used second hand suits on powerlifting forums if you're interested and don't want to shell out for a brand new one. I'm using a second-hand suit myself.

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yeah but can I get one in the right colors?

[​IMG]

16. betastas

That's what singlets are for!

17. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Zen, that shirt still gives me nightmares.

18. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

There was a guy at my gym squatting 495 pounds this morning. He had an entourage, including a trainer. I was in awe.

19. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hah! I just got back from this little soft ice cream stand up the road. It is a county landmark. This year they started selling t-shirts in several colors that commemorate their 1953 origin. Mine? Pink, of course.

Yesterday as I came back from fencing, we went past a cyclist wearing a team CSC suit - I live on a bike route which is popular with serious cyclists around here, so it's not uncommon to see that. The guy looked a little old for the current crop of elite cyclists, but he was going pretty fast. The thing that caught my eye was not that he was wearing the CSC team suit, but that it was really hot pink. CSC is usually white shirt and black shorts. But this was eye-popping. Possibly even past the Stade Francais standard.

I've looked around online but I can't find any examples of CSC in pink. There is a breast cancer charity ride called the "Tour de Pink" but those suits are not what I saw.

By the way the Stade Francais home, away and alternate jerseys are out for the new season.

Home:

[​IMG]

Away:

[​IMG]

and in case that is ruled too similar to the home teams' colors, the alternate:

[​IMG]

As one that works for me pointed out - he can't imagine they will ever have to wear this. Nobody else wears anything even remotely similar to their away.

20. Dalton

Dalton Active Member

I'm some where in the low 400s, and still very new to weight lifting (overall I've been lifting for 7 months, which includes three months of good lifting ending last June, a complete break up until this September, and then intermittent and poorly executed work outs up until the last week or two), so I'm hoping to hit 500lbs before TOO long. I'd like to get it before October 20, 2009 (17th birthday), and I think it's very possible, but I don't have any actual idea. Regardless, a 500lbs squat would make me a very happy man.