1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

50% Protein, too much?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Telecide, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

Hi, I'm kind of having a nutrition dilemma and I figured I'd seek some input from you good folks. I'm down to around 205 from 240 something. Wanna get down to 175 or 185 (I'm 6'). I've found that if I'm over 1500-1800 cals a day, my weight loss slows to a crawl or stops entirely. But I'm trying to get a gram of protein per pound to support my weight training, which I do three times a week for about an hour each. I mostly eat chicken breasts with some kind of vegetable. On lifting days I'll split a yam and have one half before a workout and one half after (about an hour after my pwo shake).

Anyway, trying to keep my cals low and protein high I end up some days getting over 50% of my cals from protein, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is optimal for my situation.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Your post is confusing. What are your goals, and what is your current macro intake? Please let us know your current training and cardio routine.

3. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

Goals are fat loss, and getting stronger. Like I said I'm around 204 now. Want to get down to around 175 depending on how much muscle I end up with.

As far as nutrition I only track total cals and protein. So in a typical day I may have around 1700 cals and 190 grams of protein in the form of chicken breasts, egg whites, shakes, with the occasional steak or fish mixed in. I try to have vegetables with every meal, usually broccoli or peas.

Hit the weights mon/wed/fri, doing kind of a modified Starting Strength routine split into two workouts.

Workout A

Bench 5 sets
    Flys 3 sets
    Deads 5 sets
    Lat pull downs 3 sets
    Bent over rows 3 sets
    Dips supersetted with sidebends 3 sets
    Crunches 3 sets

Workout B

Squats 5 sets
    Shoulder press 5 sets
    Lateral raises 3 sets
    Bent over lateral raises 3 sets
    Preacher curls 3 sets
    Calf raises 3 sets
    Cable torso twist thingy (not sure of the real name) 3 sets

I usually start out with pretty moderate weight and try to be as explosive as possible and work my way up to weights that I can lift for 5 or 6 reps. Sometimes I'll try power cleans instead of Dead lifts.

On tues/thurs/sat I'll run. I usually try to get a good mile time in, then do hiit, using this 10-20-30 training regimen i stumbled across.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120531102205.htm

The cardio I'm doing pretty much to get improve my cardiovascular health, not as a fat loss strategy per se.

But really my question has to do with, given a calorie deficit, what is more important to maintain: a gram of protein per lb of body weight? Or a proper ratio of macros, which would probably mean less protein over all.

Thanks.

4. mastover

I really can't say for sure, since I am not familiar with your bodytpe nor do I have any pics, but as a general recommendation from the info you've provided, I would keep protein at around 1.25 - 1.5 grams per pound of body weight and at least a minimum of 1 gram per pound of bodyweight on non-lifting days. If you tend to be more endo/meso oriented, then I'd keep a higher ratio of healthy fats and make sure your carb sources are mostly from cruciferous, high fiber green veggies on non-lifting days. On Training days reserve your starchy carbs for pre and post workout.

5. Telecide

Telecide Active Member

Thanks! That sounds pretty close to what I'm doing. I used one of those electrical impedance bodyfat things the other day and it said I was around 22% if that matters. I may have to take some pics. Is there any upper limit you would put on % of dietary calories from protein, or is just about the total amount relative to body weight?

I guess if I had to categorize myself as one those body types, it would endo (or whichever the fat one is). Although it doesn't feel like I put on muscle especially fast. On the other hand, I've never done a straight bulk. I'm always trying to lose weight when I'm heavy into lifting.

#5 Telecide, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. mastover

Electrical impedance for BF is wildly inaccurate. Only a 7 or 9 site hand held caliper will yield more accurate readings. (by a competent personal trainer). If you feel you are more of an endo body type, then I express my opinions on this body type here:
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=52054&highlight=endomorphs

7. Telecide

Telecide Active Member