1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

400 lb barbell squat club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Azure, May 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Azure

Azure Active Member

I'm going to create this for all the members that are above 300#, but below 400#.

I'm at 270# now....but according to my calculation, my 1RM is 314#.

So I'll be at 300# soon enough, and on to joining this club.

2. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Currently:

330 pounds for 1 rep

*I am not a big fan of squat numbers because so many people don't go parallel, but I can assure you that 330 squat was done with my hips breaking parallel.

#2 Pete5, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 9, 2008
  3. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

I hit 375 two months ago, its about that time and I'm feeling 405, maybe even tomorrow. Video will be on its way!

4. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

5. new_grounds

new_grounds Active Member

Nice job man! and on your bench too.

6. squatguy20

squatguy20 Active Member

Mine is somewhere between 300lbs and 400lbs, I know this because I can rep 310lbs.
    I'm doing a deadlift routine atm, so I'm not aiming for new Squat PR's just now.

7. Azure

Azure Active Member

I'm in officially now.

Hit 6x300# today.

I love squatting.... :tu:

Just to add....6x300# gives me a 1RM of almost 350 lbs.

I'm almost progressing too fast. :D

8. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

That sounds about right... Back when I was doing 3*5 i started my sets with 285 to 295 to 305 and my 1RM came out to 345... since then my rep sets moved up and up and up, and now I'm starting my 4*5 sets at 325 and hit 405 for my 1RM so you seem like you're on pace to hit 405 by the end of summer or beginning of fall.

9. Brutus

Brutus Active Member

I'm getting close. When I started about a month and a half ago I was at about 315lbs, 325lbs at the very most, and I'm up to 365-375lbs now. I think I'll be in the 400lbs range maybe by the end of June. I'm up to five sets of five with 280lbs now.

10. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Got 350 today, raw, no belt.

11. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

You should probably have a belt on pete.

12. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Why?

13. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I've heard people say this before and I see no reason to wear one if it isn't needed. It just acts as a crutch and takes away the job of some of the stabilizers. My core is strong enough that I won't fold like a table when performing squats, good mornings, deadlifts, etc, so I see no need for one. It's kind of like, why would you use straps if you didn't need them?

14. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

I suppose its just what I was taught and never really questioned it, its never caused any harm so I just take it as something I should do. But you two are right, if its alright without it, then its alright without it.

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's a little worse than that. Studies show that back injuries increase among people who habitually use the belts. Remember how they used to hand out free belts to guys working in warehouses? And now they don't? It's because of the big injury studies done by insurance companies. My brother the powerlifter has been working in warehouses for decades, and he lifts enough on the job that he doesn't train his deadlift at all in the gym. He used to always wear the belt, but has transitioned to a lot more raw lifting.

As far as I know, there is no reason to wear the belt for normal training, and only use it for a few heavy lifts and in competition if you do use it.

If I was going to use the belt in competition I wouldn't only use it in competition - you need to learn the equipment before the competition. But I would certainly avoid always wearing the belt. Frankly I think guys who wear a belt for curls look even stupider than guys doing curls without belts...

But since I do not compete, I use no belt.

16. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Understandable though. "Dinosaur training methods" and ideas are passed down over the years such as the belt theory. Same reason we run repeat 200s in track that haven't, and will never make us faster. It's the only thing people have ever been taught and they implement these methods/ideas without questioning why. That's a whole other topic though.

17. Bsheller

Bsheller Active Member

I only put a belt on for deadlift, squat, and clean... and pete, I think you're right, its just been handed down... and repeat 200s? I'd have hated your track team. The longest we got with repeats were 100s and 80s...

18. Brutus

Brutus Active Member

Hm, when I did 365 I also used no belt or wraps of any kind. And I don't suppose I'll wear a belt when I do 400lbs, or even 500lbs.

19. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

The point of repeat 200s is probably not to make you faster, it's to make you better at the 200, at least that's how I use them.

20. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Yeah, especially repeat 400s. I don't blame my coach, he's actually really cool and understanding. They're just probably the same methods they also used in high school.
    I don't know. I've been watching a ton of complete speed training videos. Latif pretty much said repeat 100s, 200s, 250s, 400s, etc will not make you faster due to form breakdowns as you fatigue and you will tire a lot faster. He said you should be resting one minute for every ten meters you run and speed training is 30-50 meter sprints with full rests. You have to build from the ground up. Block starts have plagued me all season - I stand up way too early, get way behind, start catching people but it's usually too late.
    BTW, this article completely changed my viewpoint of the 200 meter dash. This guy knows his stuff.
    http://www.athletesacceleration.com/200metertraining.html