1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

4 months of diet and exercise and no weight loss.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Unfit, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Unfit

Unfit Active Member

Okay I went from eating, well not the worst you've seen but not good either. McDonalds and Pizza a few times a week. Didn't really eat healthy food or my fruits and vegies :P.

My exercising habit as a freelancer who works at home were non-existent. I mean I'd sit in my seat all day on my computer. All day unless I was on the couch or in the bed. I'd rarely go out. I'm a real homebody.

Got to the point where I was so out of shape heart palpitations happened one night that kept me up. At 245 pounds 6 feet tall I finally decided to take exercise seriously and eating healthy seriously.

So I made a new plan. I'd walk/job mostly.
    I started off slow. 30 minute walks. Evolved into 40 minute walk/jogs. Evolved into what is now about an hour and a half of walking and jogging. I'm pretty limited to cardio because there's no close gym.

I eat much healthier. Probably not as much as a health nut but a LOT healthier than I used to. When I snack I snack on fruits and veggies. I've found some meals that are easy to make and taste decent yet are real healthy. Blablabla. Besides "cheat" days like birthdays or holidays I've eaten... well IMO pretty freakin' great. And I've only had like 3 cheat meals that maybe consisted of a milk shake in these 4 months :P.

So anyways. I think I've been doing pretty good. Normal almost every day exercise of like 4 miles. Eating pretty darned healthy.

The results are mixed.
    I've lost... I'm not sure. 4 months of all of this for like 2-4 pounds?
    The heart crap stopped real fast though. Haven't had an issue. I'm in better shape and don't get winded immediately anymore.

But seriously, I keep going on that scale... it's always the same. Kind of depressing. 4 months? Kind of hoping I just have a giant benign tumor in my stomach or something. I know it can be a slow process but I feel like I should be seeing more... working myself to death here.

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I have been recomp'ing for 2 months....and have only lost 6 pounds....

The scale doesn't tell the whole story.

If you want to know what is going on with your body....progress-wise:
    1. Track your daily food intake
    2. get some bodyfat calipers
    3. take body fat and weight weekly

I *seriously* doubt you are going sideways.....:nope:.....if you are doing what you wrote.....

The only explanation for no scale change while eating healthy and killing it in the gym is one of two things:

1. You are doing an incredible recomp where you are directly trading fat for muscle.....meaning you are eating precisely maintenance
    2. You are not really watching what you are eating and the scale is wildly erratic....and you happen to weigh in the day after you ate a bunch of garbage.

3. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Do you look different in the mirror? Do your clothes fit more loosely?

If not, then you're doing something wrong. While it's unlikely, it is possible to gain weight while eating fruits, veggies, and lean meat.

If your body isn't changing (i.e losing fat while keeping muscle) then you need to seriously investigate not only WHAT you are eating, but HOW MUCH you are eating.

You say that you're eating "healthy" food, but besides fruits and vegetables you didn't give any insight into exactly what you're eating. What do you consider healthy food? It could be that you think you're eating a lot healthier than you actually are.

Post the food you eat on a typical day (for example, tell us the ingredients in the meals you like to cook that you mentioned) and maybe we can figure out the root of your problem.

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Come come now!........:confused:

Never let it be said that you need a gym or you can't get in shape.

There are bodyweight exes galore.......almost zero equipment required.
    And the equipment that you MIGHT need can usually be found around the house.

I applaud your decision to motivate.......greatly

Walking and/or jogging is good .....but it's only going to get you so far......as your body adapts to it and becomes more efficient the less impact it will have.

There is a law of diminishing returns on that kind of exercise.

But the more actual muscle you have the more calories you will burn, even at rest.

Don't think that you can't build muscle with bodyweight exercise.

You most certainly can.

There are various levels of BW exes......some much harder than others.

Many people that I've seen post barely get through level 1 of the body exes out there...and these people are the ones that claim it doesn't work.

Ignore them.

5. tedpod

tedpod Well-Known Member

you should post a sample of your daily diet for us to look over to ensure there's not something you're overlooking