1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

-30lbs by July challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by nomadsails, Feb 1, 2008.

1. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hey everyone,

For those that didn't see, I'm getting married in July and want to be 30lbs down.

Planning on accomplishing this through improved diet, weights 2-3x/wk, and cardio 3-6day/wk.

Anyone else want to join me for the fun?

2. Croz

Croz Active Member

Well, I've bombed every other challenge like this, but that doesn't keep me from trying. I'm in!

July what? The first?

My weigh in today, 2/1 is 239. My goal weight for this challenge is 209.

3. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Alright. I am in and subscribed.

Current:
    2/01/2008 - 255.6 lbs
    2/08/2008 - 254.4 lbs. Not was I was hoping, but that just means I need to stay on course keep chopping that wood. At least it is movement in the right direction!
    2/16/2008 - 251.6 lbs - 2.8 pound loss. My goal is to be under 250 by next weigh in.

Cumulative Pounds Lost:
    2/08/2008 - 1.2... I will do better.
    2/16/2008 - 4 Pounds

Goal:
    7/1/2008 - 225 lbs

Means:
    Improved diet - quality carbs, proteins and fats, minimum one gallon of water a day.
    Weights - 2-3 times a week
    karate - 2-3 times a week
    Cardio - at least 3 times per week.

It's doable, I just have to do it.
    I will check in with weekly (Friday) weigh ins here. Diet, exercise and random thoughts, rants, woes will be recorded in my journal.

#3 cnjlakes, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  4. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

July 7 is the wedding, but since today is Feb 1, lets make it July 1.

cnjlakes, what kind of karate do you do?
    vbmenu_register("postmenu_571777", true);

5. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Shorin-Ryu. I keep meaning to learn more about the history. I know that it originated in Okinawa and the weapons (not doing weapons yet) originated from farm implements, but that's about it. I have only had about ten lessons, but thoroughly enjoy it! It's an amazing 55 minute workout!

6. Necross

Necross Active Member

I'm in :nod: My weight-ins are on tuesdays. Current Weight is 188.2 lbs.

July 1st Goal: 158 lbs

7. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Shorin ryu . . . never heard of it. I'm involved in some traditional Japanese JuJitsu.

If you haven't checked it out already head on over to e-budo.com It is one of the best martial arts forums on the net and is a wealth of information.

You could also probably find some more info on your art there or find someone who knows more about your history.

8. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

as i've blown the lose 20 by feb for sure, i'd better get on this wagon! :D

9. Necross

Necross Active Member

When does the challange close? Is there a date by which all participants have to post their entry?

10. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Anyone can join whenever, even if they have more or less that 30 lbs to lose. I'm going to try for 30 by July and my wedding. It's a good goal for me and 6mo seems reasonable. But any are welcome to join me on this journey.

As of now I have been without any real diet to speak of for the past few days as I'm sick and doing new job orientation in the ER so I may or may not be able to get much of anything done for about the next week. Not sure how much my weight is either and since I still am taking fever meds no gym for me until 2days without any fever.

11. Necross

Necross Active Member

Weighed in today at 188.4lbs. So that means my weight will be ~158lbs when I complete this challenge :nod:

12. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hey ya'll, just figured I'd check in and see how everyone's doing.

So far I've taken up running and dumped a good chunk of the crap in my diet. Weight pending.

13. euan

euan Active Member

Count me in!

Current weight: 223lbs
    Goal weight: 193lbs

14. Croz

Croz Active Member

I also blew the '20 pounds by 2/29' challenge. I'm having a minor surgery tomorrow that will keep me out of the gym for 3 weeks, but I'm hoping to get my diet in shape and still lose some before I can get back in on 3/7/08.

15. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

Newbie here, but I'm in! :) I'm only just beginning to refocus my weight loss efforts. Currently doing Taekwon-Do 3 times a week and sporadicly doing cardio other days; plan is to switch that up with 3-days Taekwon-Do, 3 days weights+cardio.

Currently 264lbs, so if I lose 30lbs by July (when some friends are getting married), I will mouth-kiss all of you LOL

cnjlakes: a friend of mine is a black belt in Shorin Ryu - it is indeed one of the original forms of Karate (Shotokan being the other), originating from Okinawa. It has beautiful forms :)

Cheers all!
    Mark

16. probelia

probelia Active Member

Hello Everyone,

Another newbie here!. I started my transformation on January the 1st and I'm certainly up for this challenge. My target is 154lb and I'm currently around 203lb mark. I was hoping to be down to my target by September so this challenge is exactly what I'm looking for.

When I started on Jan 1st I was 224.5lb. Since then I've ate very clean, dranks loads of water and consumed about 6 small meals per day averaging around 1800-2200 cals with a 40/40/20 split or close enough.

I walk 5 miles per day on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On a Tuesday and Thursday I'm aiming to be able to run the 5 miles, but at the moment I do half running / half walking. Monday through Friday I lift weights, each day focusing on a different muscle group ( 12, 10,8 reps at same weight).

On Saturday I do 10k on the elliptical (I've started to time myself and hope to get that under 30 minutes) and then whatever weights exercises where tough earlier on in the week, I do repeat them again ( big believer in turning a weakness into a strength. Pun not intended).

Finally on Sunday I rest and try on all the clothes that I haven't been able to fit into in a while.

I weigh myself every morning, although I only note down my weight every Tuesday. As of now, I'll check in on the thread at least every Tuesday and probably a lot more.

If anyone is interested I posted the results of weeks 0 -6 in the media section under a thread called probelias progress.

Heres to 30lb by July and some hard work:tucool:

17. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

I'm in. It'd be nice to see the other side of 200 again. I haven't been there since high school.
    Starting weight - 226
    Goal Weight - 196

18. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Well all, here's my update:

As of Valentine's Day I weighed 219 and some change. That's around a 6lbs loss, maybe more as that was mid day after lunch.

I have started trying to up my running and in a different vein I'm going to do a body weight program for the next 8 weeks that I dug up from the rosstraining.com forums, it is actually from Men's Health with the link being here:

http://bellyoff.menshealth.com/SNC/ViewItem.aspx?itemGUID=3c7210f6-3f16-4e2c-9528-1f2775dc857f&pguid=f11af873-2ef5-4d59-802c-892406ffe605

Go to the bottom and check out the "Download All Workouts" thingy. It is a pretty big pdf but it is actually a great bodyweight program.

I'm opting for bodyweight over weights here because working in the ER is beating up my body pretty bad and I know from past experience that doing bodyweight stuff will strengthen your stabilizing muscles much more and that is a bigger priority for me than looking buff. After doing 2 months of bodyweight training I upped my squats by 90lbs and used less effort than I did for my previous weight. I also have a small back injury I am trying to rehab that I would rather be gentle on for a bit.

So far I'm on track to be around 30lbs down by my wedding and I couldn't be happier.

Also welcome to the new comers! Glad to see new faces! Also thrilled to see so many martial artists. TKD and Karate are great exercise with an intense class!

So everyone knows I am just going to be implementing smaller changes to achieve my goals over time instead of trying to do a concrete diet/workout program because those just don't work for me. If you are like me, cool. If not, there's more than one way up the mountain and I hope you have found the best for you!

19. Mahke

Mahke Active Member

Morning all!

Thanks for that link, nomadsails, looks like a solid workout (from my limited experience:)), will be handy for those mornings I want to do something but can't get to the gym. Frankly, I need a lot of hand-holding, so this is ideal :lol:

I'm also travelling for 3 weeks in April/May so this is ideal.

20. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

Great job! :claplow:

Seeing a lower numberr when you step on the scale is a great feeling! Throughout the week, during the many times that I'm tempted, I just think of weigh day. That gets me right back on track!