1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

300lb Barbell Squat club.

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by user786, Dec 23, 2007.

1. fullpen

fullpen Active Member

245 x 5 x 3, estimating one rep max at about 270 to 275 lbs. good god if only my bench press would go up this fast.

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Your bench press is based on little bitty muscles. Squats and deads are not.

#82 zenpharaohs, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  3. Rise

Rise Active Member

i tried for 300# yesterday. I wanted to see what it felt like. I was able to squat out 285# once (which took quite a bit of effort, almost didn't make it) and figured, why not see what 300 is like? So I loaded the plates up and was like "woah, that's a shit load of plates" and it just looked intimidating. 45#,45#,35#,2.5# on each side + 45# bar = lot o' weight for me. It's actually 4# more than 2x my bodyweight which I found out when I weighed in yesterday at my normal weigh in time.

so did I make it?! no. :doh: I loaded it up, set up the safety bars 1 notch higher just in case (I've never actually failed on a squat before, so I didn't know the best place to put them) and I proceeded to psych myself up as much as possible while a girly love song played in the background @ the gym. I lifted the weight off the rack and took a step back and just held it for a few seconds taking some deep breaths and went for it. down I went, down, down, down– CLANK!! and on the safety bars it rested.

Oh well, good try. I'm glad I know what it feels like, and I'm glad to know where I'm at with my squat. This was my 1 RM warm up which I just made up as I went:

Squats:
    warm up @ 135lbs.
    5x205#
    3x225#
    1x245#
    1x265#
    1x285# (barely)
    0x300#

4. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Way to go on the 285!!! You are knocking on the door....

On the 300, some guys do heavy walkouts for that reason. They want to get the feel of it...Mastover talks about this from time to time... I have never tried it myself.

5. Rise

Rise Active Member

what does the walkout consist of? I mean I really just stood there for 5-10 seconds before going down, and only a step or 2 back.

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Load up the bar with a heavy weight.
    Unrack it.
    Get back to squatting position.
    Stand there with the weight on your back for a while.
    Return to the rack and rack it.
    You don't actually attempt any reps.

A good walkout for an attempt at 300 would be something in the 350-400 range.
    Gets you used to having heavy weight on your back (training the CNS for heavy lifting, pushing, pressing) and psyches you up for the 300 in that it feels "light."

You are ahead of me on the squat, but when I get closer, I'm going to give it a try....

7. fullpen

fullpen Active Member

255 x 5 x 2, 275 x 1 x 1!!! Pretty close!

Plus I deadlifted 325 x 1 x 1 a little later on, more than double my body weight!

8. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Last week's squats (not the squats listed above) turned into front squats as a finisher because some moron was doing curls in the squat rack...

But today, I got to start with them and had my best squat workout to date:
    Squats
    BW x 10
    135 x 10
    185 x 5
    225 x 5 x 5

Two weeks ago, the 265 was not max effort. I felt I had just a little left in the tank.
    This week's 5x5 makes me feel that I'm within striking distance. If I am feeling good next Friday, I'm going to max out again and take a run at it...

9. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It's good to bend the knees slightly during the hold. After about a 7-10 second hold, I rerack and go for the actual lift within 30-60 seconds (45 usually) -- otherwise the effect is diminished. I use about 120-140% over my max, which is around the range you specified.

#89 chicanerous, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  10. fullpen

fullpen Active Member

270 x 5 x 3, this was a very, very intense workout! i nailed them home and felt damn good about it. i am positive i can squat 300 next week.

11. user786

user786 Active Member

:tu::tu:Nearly there!!

12. user786

user786 Active Member

todays squats

60kg x15
    100kgx10x10x10
    120kg x 3 last rep was struggle!!( NEW PERSONAL BEST!!)
    100kg x10

13. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

March 28 Lifts:
    Squat
    45 x 10
    95 x 10
    135 x 5
    185 x 2
    225 x 1
    255 x 1
    285 x 1 - New PR - w00t!
    305 x 0 - :doh: - had to try it though...
    225 x 6
    225 x 4
    225 x 4

Getting closer...

14. user786

user786 Active Member

Good Work:tu:

is it quite scary failing at the bottom of the squat? its a situation i havent been in ...do u just drop the bar on the saftys in the powercage and crawl out??

15. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Thanks man!

When I missed it, I just dumped it on the crash bars in the squat rack. In order to get more comfortable with testing your limits, you can "practice" missing with just the bar...:nod: That way, you don't freak out and hurt yourself with 300lbs on your back... I do the same with anything overhead. (Snatch, C&J, etc...) You can get in some weird positions with the barbell over your head. :lol:

Analysis of my miss:
    (I always do full squats....:D)
    - At the bottom, I have issues with ROM on my jacked up ankle. It can make my heel want to come off the ground...:(
    - Coming out of the hole, I extended my knees a little too quickly and my hips got behind me
    - In combination with my ankle, it made for a bit of a goodmorning coming out of the hole
    - The weight got in front of my feet and it was over
    - I bent my knees, ducked, and just got the bar to the catches as quickly as possible without trying to bear any of the load with my back.
    - I would rather dump a bar than risk injuring myself and a spotter...I have never really trusted the chest-spot required on a squat. I have had it a few times and it seems to mess with my center of gravity because of the sudden change in the bar in relation to the center of my feet.

After a miss, I usually end up on all fours under the bar and back out of the rack.

16. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Assuming you fail because of a lack of strength, if your safeties are set up correctly, you don't drop anything. At your bottom position, the bar should be very close to the safeties (e.g. an inch away), so you just allow yourself descend a bit deeper than your target depth to rest the bar on them. This is one of the reasons why it's good to have a bit more flexibility than you need. Regardless, you need to watch your spine. If you can't make it back up, don't panic. Keep your spine in good position, your body tight, and bottom out.

If you go to anatomical ATG, it can be a bit more complicated. However, most recreational deep squatters don't go this far -- they go to the "limit" of their flexibility, which usually is not developed to the anatomical maximum, so there's still a little leeway. As much as I like deep squatting, even I wouldn't advise developing your flexibility to this point unless you're a competitive weightlifter; you won't be gaining anything by going to the absolute limit of your structure.

You really shouldn't fail because of bad form (e.g. the bar gets way out in front of you or you lose your balance backwards). You want to avoid these situations if at all possible. As you're squatting, it should be clear that your form is going to suffer severely well before it actually happens and you should have had sufficient time under near maximal weights to know what the potential problems are going to be. With that said, it does happen occasionally, so the best thing is to be mindful of your spine and go with instinct, as digitalnebula did above. If you spend enough time around iron, the body should know what to do when it really needs to get out of harm's way.

Sorry, just thought I'd jump in here with my perspective... :) (I keep doing that. :o)

#96 chicanerous, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  17. user786

user786 Active Member

Thanks Guys Very imformative.

18. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

April 4 Lifts:
    Squats
    BW x 15
    45 x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    245 x 5
    245 x 4
    245 x 4
    245 x 4
    245 x 4

I did not get my 5x5 but this session was intense.
    Be back in a couple weeks. I'll be in Orlando next week...I am deloading the weights while I'm there.

19. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

I put up 285 last night for a personal high. Wasn't the prettiest form but I did it.

20. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

A week off and I'm still sick...a step back this week
    not to mention I have already done two squat variations this week...
    April 18 Lifts:
    Squats
    45 x 15
    95 x 10
    135 x 10
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5 - Form a little sketchy on the last couple so I stopped.