1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

300 Barbell Bench club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Merk, Feb 21, 2008.

1. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

I couldn't agree more! R/G dips will definitely boost your bench press numbers!:tucool:

2. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, for benching the opposite applies. The longer the lever the weight is placed on the more force is required to move it. It doesn't really have much to do with distance travelled as you are moving your arm on a pivot so everyone is going through the same ROM.

I have long arms and it sucks. But at the same time the same force is generated for lifting lower weights so it should have exactly the same affect on muscle development.

Talking about my shitty bench numbers I really should set up my own challenge. The 175 club! How embarrassing? :cry:

3. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

Well my man, I totally understand what your saying and I do know that what you are saying is quite correct.

My point was is I am sick and tired of hearing people use that excuse as a cop out as to why they cannot bench alot. Shit it isn't like I woke up and could bench 255 lbs free weight in sets or anything. I started out as a lanky, 115 lbs, little bitch that could only bench 110 lbs on a flat bench press machine back in high school.

I bench what I can because I earned it, regardless of my height. Same with someone that is 6'8 that has 5 foot long arms that can bench 500 lbs (if there is such a person :p), its because they earned it, pound for pound.

There is nothing worse that sitting down to a bench, benching a shitload. Then have someone sit down and try and bench it, can't, and then give that piss poor excuse just to make themselves feel better.

Fuck it pisses me off alot...well whatever makes people sleep better at night I guess.

PS~ Be damn proud of being able to bench 175 my man, there are alot of people that wish they could bench almost half that, seriously. Time and patience will get you a heftier bench :tu:

4. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Merk-
    I think what all this comes down to is "form". I've always noticed that the guys with the longer arms have to work on their form a little bit more than the guys with shorter arms. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because with longer arms - the elbows tend to flare out a bit more. As far as strength goes - I don't know that longer arms really matter. Either you're strong or your not! Keep at it brother!

Woodan - I agree with Merk about your bench press. A lot of people would love to be able to bench 175! I've been following your journal, and I think you are definitely on the fast track to making some huge gains!:tucool:

5. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to take anything away from your achievement, for sure. Just as I'm not trying to use this as an excuse. I can't bench much because I'm weak.

All I'm saying is that if there are 2 people that both bench the same weight the guy with the longer upper arms is putting in more work. You can't argue with science.

6. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm in the same boat you are -- I'm about 25 pounds away from 2X bodyweight. I'm hoping that within the next 6-8 months I can hit it though. :nod:

Yeah, but keep in mind, the world's best bench presser right now is Ryan Kennelly (hit 1050 pounds, shirted), and he is 6'2". I think bench press is harder for really tall people, but if they put on enough muscle, they can throw up some very impressive weights. Woodan, if I recall, you are going on a bulk soon? If so, you will see BIG gains in your bench press strength if your routine/diet are in check.

7. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've upped my intake and decide to go with WS4SB rather than 5x5. I just completed the max effort upper body day and my bench was a whopping 2x65kg. Oh well...

8. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

I've learned a few tips and tricks over the years for a better bench, that I'm sure not everyone knows, like keeping your shoulder blades pressed together, arch your middle back as much as you can (while keeping your ass on the bench), etc.

Honestly about this longer arm topic. My point to it all was that merely I am tired of listening to people use that comment as an excuse as to why they cannot bench peanuts. I understand it is or may be a strong factor why people with longer arms cannot bench as much as someone that has shorter arms and the same amount of mass or whatever.

But why the need to express it? because some short ass out benched you? pffft, please. Instead of hating and being jealous. Take that energy and focus it on a bigger bench. I don't hate or feel envious of anyone that can do things I can't. I tend to use it as motivation to get to the same point they are, you know?

Anyways, whatever.

9. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Thats me...:o
    (I have an 84" wing span...and some flarin' ass elbows)

10. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I guess it's because there seems to be the most talked about exercise.

"Oh, you work out? How much do you bench?"

Other than people on forums like these I've never heard someone say:

"How much do you deadlift?"

Blah... People make a big deal out of it as if it's the only exercise. I guess that's why people with longer arms defend against it. As they are at a disadvantage, in terms of weight, from the outset.

I watch that the video of that guy benching over 1000lbs and his arms are short regardless of his height. The bar moves about 5 inches from his chest. Not that I'm trying to take anyway from that. I mean, 1000lbs! When I bench the bar moves about a foot and half.

11. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Actually, this is starting to annoy me now but for quite the opposite reasons. I actually don't care that much about the numbers I bench. It doesn't define my masculinity like it seems to for short people. It's quite easy to prove that longer arms require more work to move the same weight. Just use one of these:

[​IMG]

12. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that is also because he weighs about 330 pounds -- If you weighed that much, your arms too would appear "short" because of the size of your torso. Kennelly also has perfect technique....He arches, and benches pretty low (almost to his stomach), thus reducing his range of motion substantially.

I think longer arms do make it a bit harder to bench big numbers, but, once you put on some mass, your numbers will go up by alot. Hell, I'm not even that tall (6 feet), but if I were to drop to say, 170 lbs (I'm currently 230), my bench press would easily drop by 150 lbs or more.

A good example is Will Smith. He is 6'3", with long arms, and does not have a body generally suited to bench big numbers -- Yet, while training for the movie I, Robot, he put on considerable mass, and his trainer claimed that he was able to bench 385 by the end of training. I would guess that if you were a solid 210-240 pounds, that you could be pushing similar numbers.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You can always answer with: "Lots. How much do you dead?"

I mean yeah, it doesn't sound impressive to say I only bench 275#. But when you consider that a lot of the guys in my gym can't squat or deadlift that, it's enough not to get hung up on.

By the way you seem to think that a guy with long arms does more work in the bench. Well long arms just encourages you to get a wider grip to reduce the travel of the bar. You can also develop your chest both to help out with the wider grip, but also to reduce the travel of the bar. Heavy competition bench pressers have big chests even though they don't use the pecs a lot directly. But for every two or three inches you pack on your chest, you reduce the distance you have to lower the bar by an inch.

The final reason to develop the chest and pecs a lot is to balance out having huge lats, which you do use directly in the bench press. Nobody with a small back has a big bench.

14. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Ben Wallace is 6' 7" 240# and is supposed to have a 460# bench press.

In my gym one trainer Kenny is 6'2" 230# and benches just over 400#, another trainer Mike O is 6'3" 235# and benches well into four plates (I don't actually know but it's definitely more than 425#).

In the bench, the penalty for long limbs can be minimized by technique and training. Unlike the squat, where it just really sucks to be tall. :tucool:

#34 zenpharaohs, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  15. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I decided to max out on bench today to see where I stand. I surprised myself a bit...an excerpt from my fitness journal:
    Feb 27 lifts:
    BB Bench Press
    45 x 15 (Warmup)
    95 x 15 (Warmup)
    135 x 15 (Warmup)
    185 x 5 (Acclimation set)
    225 x 1 (Acclimation set)
    245 x 1
    265 x 1
    225 x 5

The most I have done since my near-death car wreck was 225... To my surprise I ripped the 245 and was on the fence as to whether to try 255 or 265...I tried 265 and BARELY got it. I told my spotter before I started that if he touched it too soon I was going to castrate him...good thing I did. It took me about 4 seconds to totally lock it out...My ear lobes felt like they were on fire when I finally racked it. That is my indicator of absolute max effort...for some it is certain veins or a certain face color. For me...its ear lobes....

265 is my current 1RM. no doubt about it. If a hummingbird took a dump on the bar I probably would not have gotten it....

35 to go...

16. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Since I started with flat bench last week, I started with incline this week.
    Nothing to report as far as upping my number, but thought I would post what I did for main and secondary exercises for my chest day today...

Forgot to try the reverse grip dips...damn it!!! :mad:

March 5 lifts:
    BB Incline Press
    45 x 15
    95 x 12
    135 x 10
    165 x 8
    185 x 5
    185 x 4 + 1 forced rep
    135 x 8

Dips
    +25 x 10
    +35 x 10
    +35 x 7
    +25 x 6

Do other folks have a large gap between their flat and incline presses?
    My gap is about 40 lbs....seems like a lot...on the order of 20% less...

17. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

This is totally normal. I never max out on inclines, but I typically drop the weight by 50 - 60 pounds when I do inclines versus flats. It also depends on how steep of an incline you are doing.:nod:

18. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

It is not unusual for the difference to be like 30%

19. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Again, nothing to up my number, but got some good volume...

Taken from March 12, 2008 exercise log

BB Bench
    45 x 15
    135 x 12
    185 x 5
    205 x 5 x 5

Dips
    BW x 15
    +25 x 10
    +35 x 10
    +35 x 7
    +25 x 8

20. squatguy20

squatguy20 Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHOPW3nUnI8

Right, I'm nearly there at ~275# bench (calculated from 112kg(246lbs) x 5).

25 (estimated) pounds to go....

Got to aim for 115kg(253lbs) x 3 on sat, then 115kg x 5 on tue.

#40 squatguy20, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008