1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

300 Barbell Bench club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by Merk, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Merk

Merk Satan is my spirit animal

Well lets see what you boys got! I'm benching 255 lbs for 3 sets of 5-6. I'm pushing for 300, who's with me? I need another Club sat for my signature :lol:

Lets DESTROY this!

#1 Merk, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I'm in. I'm quite a bit behind you....my last two workouts that included BB Bench looked like this:

Feb 13 lifts:

BB Bench Press
    185 x 10
    205 x 6
    205 x 4
    185 x 7

Feb 20 lifts:
    BB Bench Press
    135 x 10
    135 x 10
    185 x 8
    205 x 6
    205 x 5
    205 x 4

But can ya hear the footprints!? I'm going to try and catch you!! :spaz:....:lol:
    I got 225 3 times a few weeks ago. I'm guessing my 1RM is somewhere near 245...I'm thinking it will take me all year to get there...

#2 digitalnebula, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

If you are doing 255 for 6 reps, you probably already have 300 -- which, BTW, given that your body weight is only 162 pounds, that is pretty damned good -- You are only 24 pounds away from double your body weight!!! Now, that would be a nice thing....I've always wanted to hit twice my bodyweight, but I've never been able to do it. Maybe someday....sigh....

4. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy
    Bronze Member

Merk-
    This should be no problem for you! You are probably at 290 right now. My guess is: you'll be benching 300 before April rolls around!:tu:

5. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy
    Bronze Member

Michael-
    I don't think it will take you the full year to get there. Due to your height, I'm guessing you have long arms - just like I do. Work on your form, and also try to hit your triceps really hard. You WILL get 300!

Good luck to you and Merk! I am going to enjoy following this challenge guys!:tucool:

6. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Thanks Iroc.
    The long range of motion is a bit of a handicap...but I don't want that to be a source for any excuses...
    I got my dipping belt last week and have begun incorporating weighted dips back into the program...(the gym I go to sucks...they don't have one...:rolleyes:)
    I think that bringing my overall shoulder girdle stability and strength up while increasing the power in my triceps should get me there.

Posting my deadlift workouts on the 350 thread keeps me pushing the envelope and I think it has helped me progress...I think having good coaches like you, Merk, and the boys will keep me progressing...:tucool:

Cheers.

7. Merk

Hey man, you'll get there for sure. Time and patience

8. Merk

LOL, your trying to catch me and I'm trying to catch IROC. Too funny.

9. Merk

Lets hope I'll be benching that by April, seems I will be dieting sooner than I wanted. See I have to qualify for the INBA Natural Universe comp in Nov, the only comp I can hit before then is the one in Toronto...which is in August #$%&! :mad: So I'm looking at starting my dieting fairly soon, ugggh.

Now as for my 1 rep max, I did 300 before, but I was 185 lbs and geared for powerlifting. I haven't tried since then, so it should be interesting to see if I can bench it again at 160 lbs.

10. Merk

See I always get told its because I have these little T-rex arms I bench so well.

I tend to laugh when I hear that...and get a little pissed off. I personally feel I earned it through and through regardless the length of my arms. Sure I have a shorter way to go, but hell I started at 110 lbs on a machine bench press. Every pound I added I earned, I pushed for it, I OWNED IT!

Either you have the power to do something or you don't. In such cases you don't have it you have to train for it, you have to earn that shit.

FYI I'm not hating on you bro not at all, I'm merely ranting about the subject. Not AT anyone in particular.
    So please don't take it personally, really.:tu:

11. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

I definitely don't take it personally...:cool:
    That's why I followed that with: "but I don't want that to be a source for any excuses."

Either you can lift it or you can't...period. Guess what, I'll lift it. :neener:
    Just not sure when.

12. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Merk, I have been cutting since November. You can add pounds to the bar and cut. I am living proof my man...I have been setting some PR's recently as I have been shaving off the BF...Be sure you manage your diet and don't get in a big hurry about dropping the BF for your comps...It should not adversely effect your strength until you start dropping under 10%...

13. Merk

I totally know that dropping BF and gaining mass is obtainable, its a matter of proper dieting for sure. I mean I have packed alot of mass since this summer and I dropped a TON of fat, over 25 lbs of fat. Best shape I have been in in A LONG LONG TIME. I'm going to be starting my competition diet shortly. So I can drop fat at a NICE slow pace so I don't lose any muscle. I think my phase one will be dropping any dairy (which for me is only the milk in my cappucino in the morning and Polski Pressed Cottage cheese), also doing some carb cycling again. Should be fun :p

14. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy
    Bronze Member

I agree with you about the weighted dips - they are a must for increasing your bench press. I've found that I actually get more out of dips when I do them with a reverse grip.

15. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy
    Bronze Member

I guess if you're trying to catch me, then I'm just going to have to make sure I stay on top of my game!:D Just kidding buddy! Right now I only do a couple of sets of bench press per week just to try and maintain. I'm hoping to get those certifications I was telling you about before summer rolls around - and then I can shift some of my attention back to benching.

16. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Interesting. Kinda makes 'em into a super-pushup...I'll have to give these a try.
    Seems like the change in angles would put an outward pressure on the shoulder...Have to try them with weight assist at first to get the feel. But I always like trying new exercises! :nod:

17. Merk

I best get my ass in gear before you start getting super serious about your bench again :lol:, I'm getting curious about that certification as well, another plaque one the wall so to speak.

18. Merk

The reverse grip is amazing, a little awkward at first to get used to, but once you get the hang of it, your off to the races, seriously

19. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy
    Bronze Member

In all honesty, if I was only allowed to do one exercise for chest/shoulders/triceps - it would be reverse grip dips. That's how much I believe in them! I know everybody responds differently to certain movements - but I've made incredible gains off r/g dips! Good luck Michael!:tu:

20. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy
    Bronze Member

Merk-
    If you're serious about the certification, shoot me a PM sometime and I'll give you the details. I'll also tell you more about the training I do for those events. It would be super cool to have our names on that list together!:nod: