1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

-30 lbs by september challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by nomadsails, May 15, 2007.

1. Azaroth

Azaroth Active Member

Bang pow zing prang.

One month of re-energizing my metabolism done. Plateau undoubtedly broken. Weight stayed stable (flucuates between just under 218 to just over 223.. so about 221).

I gotta say that I feel fatter though. Thing is that I look fine in the mirror.

Anyway, whatever.

Lowering my calories slowly but steadily starting tomorrow (and starting cardio again... ugh.. at least it's summer now). Then I'm going to hold still when I hit about 2000 calories a day, and work my way back up.

I'm not sure I'll be down to 190 by september doing this, but at least I won't plateau out one month in. Slow and steady wins the race.

2. fitnessdave

fitnessdave Well-Known Member

Great to hear you are still around in this challenge. I haven't had enough experience yet with hitting the plateau, but that may be what I am experiencing now. That is awesome you upped the calories slowly and remained a constant weight.... now with your cardio and slowly lowering calories again I bet you put up some good, consistent numbers.

You are right, slow and steady does win the race... I'll have to remind myself to have that mentality more often... I think we all should remind ourselves of that.

Keep it up!

3. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Agreed.

Welcome back Azaroth!

As of now I've dropped my workouts significantly from around 2hrs per day to no more than 40. Diet is where it is going to make the difference long term, not the gym. At the recommendation of Mastover I've dropped workouts to weights every other day and HITT (20) every off day with a mandatory day of rest.

My diet hasn't been great this week and I seem to be fluxuating within 219 a bit but can't seem to crack it this week. Knowing what I know, I think that in any case my goal for 2 weeks from now is 215 and 210 in 4 weeks.

I'm thrilled to hear about everyone's progress! And though we all seem to be backing it off a bit I think that -30 by september should still be possible.

#43 nomadsails, Jun 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  4. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Here's the weekly update for me (moved to Sat from now on due to schedule):

217.2 lbs. -2.1 lbs this week, -8.6 lbs toal

The week went okay. After advice from Mastover and some research myself I've altered workouts dramatically. Diet is getting tweaked every few days. Progress is starting to show on the pics though an inspection is needed. I was worried that I hadn't made any progress lately but comparing my 4/27 pics to this morning's solved that problem. Diet wasn't great but I appear to be supporting ~2lbs loss per week and I can see in the mirror I'm at least maintaining the muscle I have and probably adding.

I'm thrilled that everyone is still in and making progress.

I've got a camping weekend planned 6/22-6/24 so if I can hit 214.0 by then I'll take the weekend completely off training and not worry about my diet either.

5. jennifer123

jennifer123 Well-Known Member

Hey Nomad, congrats on the pics. I am glad to hear you are hangin in there (lol). I did my weigh in on Friday and I have lost another 3lbs and I can tell I am keeping my muscle because I have been following up my weight workouts with the proper nutrition. These last couple of days since my last weigh in I feel like I have hit a point where I am just dropping weight like its nothing. I did a HIIT workout (wind sprints) on Friday after my weigh in and WOW!!! The next day I felt as if not only I had done weights (which I had not), but like I could really see a change in the mirror. When I looked in the mirror today it really motivated me. I have my "skinny jeans" layed out on the couch for me to see every day. I am guessing it will take about 2 more HARD CORE months before I can fit into them. So a challenge within a challenge for me is to be in my skinny jeans BEFORE school starts in the fall.

What has everyone been eatin lately? Anyone have any suggestions about food that they have found that they really enjoy that will not break our diets?

What kind of workouts have you all been doing?

So glad this thread has become a front runner in the challenge forum !!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!! I will meet you at the finish line (LOL).

6. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

My diet has been mostly protein shakes (with/without berries/cherries/natural peanut butter), deli sandwiches at the school cafeteria (wheat bread with turkey/roastbeef/swiss, all the veggies/toppings I want, and mustard), and recently Irish beef stew.

Here's what I've been doing for workouts (all are 3x10):

M: squats, deadlifts, leg extentions, leg curls, calf raises
    T:20 min HITT
    W: db bench, incline bench, flyes, front/rear/side raises (deltoids)
    Th: 20 min HITT
    F: bent rows, lat pulldowns, shrugs, standing bb curls, skull crushers (BB tricep extentions), preacher curls, db tricep extentions
    S: 20 min HITT

I havent done abs this week and will be adding them back in soon. I'm also considering adding +20 min LISS to all workouts.

I'll see ya at the finish line in about 21 lbs! I can't wait to crack 210!

7. Emily

Emily Active Member

Joining Up!

Hey All - I'm probably jumping on this challenge a bit late, but I haven't found the right group of people or the right challenge until now.

September is a good goal date for me - though, losing 30lbs is out of the question - 5'9 / 158lbs. I will be trying to lose 10-15lb. Which, those last lbs are the hardest to come off! I have a journal in that forum, but I will be coming in here to post my progress.

I have my body evaluation today, so I will be posting better stats soon too.

Good luck and you have my support!

8. fitnessdave

Welcome Emily! I don't think it's ever too late to lose the weight. I didn't start this challenge, but I think it's perfectly fine to join in.

My update:
    Friday I ran two miles and lifted the hardest I ever have, felt great afterwards. Friday night and all weekend I was gone on vacation and didn't worry about diet or working out... (although I did a lot of swimming) that will slow me down, but yesterday I got right back on track. Tonight I'm going to try and run 4 and lift hard.

The scale may have went up a bit this weekend... I'm not sure, but I know I just have to bounce back and get back into my routine. It will be quite a while before another big cheat.

Hope everyone is posting big numbers! Whether it be in pounds lost, or pounds lifted, or any other positive gains or reductions!

Keep at it.

9. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

I feel your pain!

I took a couple unexpected days off and did some traveling. I didn't log my diet and had some fast food but no damage showed up on the scale this morning. I also missed a workout. It will slow me down a bit but . . .

I also picked up a couple pairs of jeans over the weekend and I've finally moved down 2 pant sizes. Yay! Now I'm pumped. To repent of my evil ways I'm going to go as light on cheat day as I can get away with. I need to be 3-4 lbs lighter in 12 days so I can take 6/23-24 off.

10. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

And welcome Emily!

Glad to hear you are going to join us! Since you only have 10-15 to lose that just means we'll have to lose 2-3 to your 1.

11. fitnessdave

First four mile run of the spring/summer was yesterday. I managed to actual finish without any stopping and kept a pretty steady (but slow, even though it didn't feel like it) pace.

Weighed in at 207.2 this morning. Slowly but surely... hoping to get to 200 soon.

12. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Glad to hear you are making progress!

As of Sat I was 219.2 lbs, 2 lbs up from last week, but this morning I'm 216.9 (new low :)) so I'm not sure if I made prgress or backslid. My diet and workouts slid a good bit last week but after taking the weekend off and checking out my logs, I've found my problem areas and I feel great about the rest of the summer!

How's everyone else doing?

13. fitnessdave

This weekend was relaxing and I ate clean Saturday. Sunday was my first Father's Day being a father.... and I relished the day. We had shish kabob's on the grill, which consisted of NY strip, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, onions.... all grilled up nice and good with a great italian garlic herb marinade. So although it was a cheat meal, it was still relatively healthy... nothing like burgers and fries.

This week I'm back at it again... with a run and lift later this evening. I'm hoping to take a couple pictures to document my progress as well.

Great work Nomad.... congrats on the new all time low!

hope everyone else is doing well too!

14. Azaroth

Azaroth Active Member

214.4 on the scale this morning. Apparently, my muscles are hungry.

Quiet, they can hear you talking about them.

After I ate, drank some water, etc, I was up to more like 215.5 - but that's still good.

Seriously, it's scary what reasonable eating habits, a caloric deficit, and hard work in the weight room can do. Oh, and, like... no beer and no pizza every three days.

Even though I said I'd start on the 7th, it was more like the 10th. Getting my metabolism back in gear officially worked as planned. It was pretty hard to stop eating 3000+ calories a day. However, seems like in the last 7 days I've dropped about 2.5 pounds.

Let's see if it holds steady.

15. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hello everyone!

It has been a bit since any updates so here's what is going on:

After 3 weeks of backsliding, lost motivation, and general crap, I'm back.

I'm going back to my long and hard workouts. The bottom line here is I truely like them. I feel better about everything after long workout and I just don't get that with the short ones I have been doing. It was driving me crazy.

Diet has also been fixed. I remapped all my caloric intake, etc, and found I was probably 500-800 higher than I should have been per day which explains my lack of progress.

My biggest hurdle, my roommates, have been turned into reminders of what not to do if I want to achive my goals. Now they are assets.

I've also revamped how I am monitoring progress. I've added waist circumfrence and bf% to the equation as well. And rather than recording absolutely everything I'm only going to record unplanned stuff.

We shall see if I succeed in my own challenge to lose 30 by sept but I should easily be able to take 20 off.

How's everyone else doing?

16. fitnessdave

Wow... your renewed motivation is.... well... motivating! :claphigh:

I wish you the best of luck and I know you can definitely do it if you just keep this mentality. You are right on track.

I've been doing pretty well on my diet.. although my issue is still not eating frequently enough... I'm aware of this weakness and am continuing to try and fix it.

However, when I am eating I am eating clean with a regular cheat meal or two on the weekend.... I could take the cheat meal out and maybe see even more progress, but it keeps me sane and I think so far I'm doing okay. I'm happy with my "slow but sure" mentality right now... instead of trying to over do it and burning out.

This morning I weighed in at 204... I even touched 203 once last week... so I'm still losing. My next goal is to break 200.

So, in approximately six weeks I have lost 16 lbs... a little over 2.5lbs / week. I think I'm at, or about to hit a plateau... so we'll see how that goes.

This week I'm taking Friday off and the whole family is headed up north to stay at my Aunt's cottage. I'm sure my diet won't be spot on, but I'm going to try and stay away from little things that help make a difference.... such as any sweets... as I'm sure the waffles, pancakes and french toast will cover that... as well as any regular soda. And to keep "chip snacking" to a minimum. However, I will admit that I plan on drinking some beer and indulging a little bit... it'll be nice to kick back out on the lake.

The other great thing is I'll still be working out up there though.... there are miles and miles of great dirt roads to run on.. and I think I may even get in my longest run of the season so far up there. As well as perfect swimming conditions... so I'll burn some too.

Hope everyone is still in this challenge and planning on seeing it until the end! Keep working hard... and remember that if you mess up the great thing is you can start fresh, so keep at it! :claplow:

17. johnhoefer

johnhoefer Active Member

Hey all,

I am going to be joining in here. I am 6' 2" and 238 lbs. My bodyfat is about 26% with 63 lbs of fat and 175 lbs of lean mass. My end goal is 210 with about 12% bodyfat. This means I need to lose 38 lbs of fat and gain 10 lbs of muscle. I will just be focusing on fat loss right now, being sure not to lose muscle in the process and I will assess goals and methods for gaining muscle when I have gotten to around 210 to 215lbs.

I have gotten down from about 245 since early May. I am ramping it up though, being serious about my diet, with protein shakes etc. I am on a very low carb diet with a bit of ketosis going on. I have carbs before I work out in order not to crash though.

My workouts consist of a morning group exercise "Bootcamp" thing I do 4 days a week. (Yeah, I'm from LA) It basically consists of running and then a series of exercises with resistance bands (which are harder than I thought) and bodyweight exercises. Then running again. I will also be doing extra cardio and lifting on my own at home starting next week.

I think if I eat well I can be close to 220 by August 1. That is about 3.5lbs per week. Given I am just starting out, I lose weight fast and then it gets tougher after that.

Good luck all. I will post updates a couple times a week.

#57 johnhoefer, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  18. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Update!

Saturday saw me at 218.2 lbs. Thats around 7 lbs down from where I was at the beginning of summer. I worked out 5 days last week and while the workouts were much shorter than my goal they seemed to be very intense after the 2 weeks of short and hard. Ironic isn't it?

Anayway, diet was pretty lax but lots of positive things happened.

I got an electric grill! Woohoo! I love grilling food and have been looking for a way to save money and stop eating out. Here it is!

The other, more major thing is that my roommate is talking about signing up for the gym this week and going with me. If I have a partner to workout with and eat healthier then I bet I'll do even better! Yay!

How's everyone doing?

Also what are everyone's totals thus far? I think we should see who's in the lead.

#58 nomadsails, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  19. fitnessdave

I've totally been slacking the past week and half or so, haven't been out to run hardly at all... although I have been doing a bit of walking, it just isn't the same (it doesn't feel that same). The diet could be better... as usual... I'm still right around 204-207.

I need to kick it into gear, but I'm just not feeling very motivated.

Hopefully something sparks that desire in me, the sooner the better.

20. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hey! Keep it up!

Everyone else seems to be MIA so at -23 lbs you are officially winning!

I'm happy to be 7 down at the moment.

You may just need to maintain until Aug and get back in gear then.