1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

-30 lbs by september challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by nomadsails, May 15, 2007.

1. jennifer123

jennifer123 Well-Known Member

my mess was deleted

#21 jennifer123, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. fitnessdave

fitnessdave Well-Known Member

Jennifer,

I like the idea of doing the HIIT at the end... seems like a good way to end the workout strong. Especially because by then you are in the 'fat burning zone'.

Here is my update....

Typically I've been running on average two miles, five days a week, with Mondays and Wednesdays usually being the days off. I've been really trying to eat more meals, spaced out, but am not doing as good of job as I'd like. However, I am doing a much better job with the foods I am eating. No soda, no junk food. Whole grain breads, chicken, veggies, fruits, brown rice, peanut butter, almonds, whey protein, etc.

I'd say that this Sunday was the start of week three, as I began really running regularly two weeks ago.... got serious last week... and now am in a routine this week. So, I'm not exactly sure what day I weighed in at 220, but it was no more than three weeks ago.

I plan to weigh in again on Sunday as that will be my start to week four, and see where I am. Also, I do not have a "before" picture, but I do have a picture from when I was ~220 several months earlier... it's basically exactly how I looked before I began my new lifestyle.

Lastly, I definitely plan to incorporate some weight training very soon. I won't use excuses, but right now a gym membership is not a priority for me. Money is tight (isn't it always) and there are things that need it more than that right now. However, my brother and I have stumbled upon a free weight bench and in addition I have a couple dumbbells... so I will be doing some lifting hopefully sooner than later.

Good luck to all, hope you are meeting your goals and staying on track.

#22 fitnessdave, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  3. fitnessdave

Well, yesterday was my first straight three mile run. I'm in my second week of "regular" running, but have run a little on and off a couple weeks before that.

I have run two miles without stopping quite regularly these past two weeks, so I felt great the first two miles.... but as soon as I finished the second one it was like I hit a wall and I felt so slow. However the last 1/4 mile of my run I managed to dig down and somehow find some energy.

Sad to say my total time was 28:00... nearly 9 minutes slower than what I could run the 5K five/six years ago..... but.... at the same time I'm glad I was under thirty, and that 28:00 gives me something to shoot for each subsequent time I run it.

As far as eating, I'm still trying to get in enough small meals... that's my biggest thing right now. I am eating healthier though, which for me was my main goal.

I weighed in this morning, apprx three weeks since I've started eating better and running and the scale said 212.0. It was motivating, but at the same time I don't base everything by the numbers the scale says, the mirror tells a lot more.

Not sure what I'll be running tonight, but I'm going to be playing several hours of basketball Saturday morning, which I'm looking forward to!

Hope you all are staying focused on your goals and making progress! Keep at it! :claplow:

#23 fitnessdave, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  4. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Congratulations on your first 3 mile run!

It is always good to hear about progress.

As for me, right now I'm hovering at 221.5 but with a few days left before I offically weigh in, I think I can eek out 220ish which is my first goal.

This week I have been pretty on target with my workouts and diet and I have decided to start taking my freeday mid-late week (this week's was yesterday) that way I can enjoy it but keep it off the scale when I weigh in.

Good luck all!

How are you progressing?

5. fitnessdave

Well, this coming Sunday will be the start of week four. So, it's been about three weeks since I've started and two weeks since I've been really serious.

I've gone from 220 to 212, I imagine a couple pounds being water weight. So, that's about 2.7lbs per week.... but with the whole water weight it's probably more like 2.3. I don't know... I just know I'm feeling good and having fun getting out running again.

How is everyone else progressing?

#25 fitnessdave, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  6. jennifer123

Progress

:claplow:Hey guys wanted to let you all know how I was doing. I am down 3lbs and am feeling great. I took of yesterday because my trainer killed me the two days prior and I felt it was needed. I got a great workout today at the gym. I did the crosstrainer machine 20 mins interval training and burned 350 cals:tucool: and boy did I feel it. I also did some box jumps, planks, bosu ball squats, bosu ball side squats. pelvic tilts on ball, pelvic tiltl w/ hamstring extensions on ball, bosu ball jog, ans bosu ball push ups. I did them in a circuit form 3 exercises 3 sets, 3 more exercises 3 sets 2 exercises 3 sets. Kept my heart rate up the whole time. It felt great and then I did some wind sprints and topped that off with 10 mins on the Gauntlet (big stair machine). All in an hour and 10 mins. Man what a rush and now I am off to get ready for work. I will post some more tomorrow and I want to know how everyone is doing. I have to read the last few posts and see whats up with you all. Just wanted to post now and let you all know I am going strong. So looking forward to tomorrow's workout:claphigh:.

Have a great one and I hope you all are doing wonderful:gl:

7. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Update: This week's diet sucked.

Was going strong till about Thursday. Roommate always brings home food after visiting family. He brought home cookies and cakes. I wound up eating some. Forgivable, but okay. Friday was okay but Saturday is just chaos. I work out and eat in the mornings then go to my martial art thing that lasts between 3-6 hours every time, get lunch, then head home. The problem is I am so screwed up after an average of 90 min work out in the morning plus 3 hours at mid day that by night I will eat anything in sight. Sunday was great until the evening when I went to a friend's b-day party. I dodged the hamburger and fries but ordered chicken rotini pasta with maranara. An improvement but the last meal of the day being pasta means most of it is stored as fat and/or glycogen. Either way it shows up on the scale.

The net weight loss from day 8 to day 15 (today) is .5 lbs.

This week I had a weekly low of 218.5 but it was probably water weight. I averaged 221.5 for the majority of the week though.

I also worked out the last 9 days in a row and am taking a much needed break today.

I'm actually starting to notice a difference between now and a couple weeks ago in the mirror, so I could have taken off more fat, or it could just be that my posture is improving. Either way my pants are getting a bit looser as well.

For the unforgivable sin of only losing .5 lbs this week, only 25% of my goal, here are the modifications that are being made:

1. I'll keep using 2 muscle milk/day until they are gone. After than, no more. I'll replaces them with whey/fruit smoothies instead, they taste better anyway.

2. Diet will now consist of only lean meat, fish, salad, veggies, fruit, and 2 servings of carbohydrates per day (brown rice, whole grain pasta, etc.) with one cheat day allowed per week (saturday).

3. All workouts will end with 60 min of cardio (I have been averaging 40)

4. Cardio only days will become 20 min HIIT + 60 min of cardio

5. Cutting out 1 cliff bar per day and replacing with whole food.

If anyone has any ideas how to tolerate saturday without wrecking my diet I'm open to any suggestions. This is my consistent sticking point every week. I would just classify it as a cheat day but I don't want a cheat day so close to my weigh in day.

8. fitnessdave

I'm in the same boat as you... had two open houses to go to, and indulged a little at both, not terribly... but still not eating according to plan. Probably had too much beer as well... a definite weakness.

Anyway, starting the week fresh again and eating clean and running five days a week.

All you can do is try your hardest to not eat the crap, and if you do, feel bad for a second.. then get over it and stay focused on your goals. If you dwell on your mistakes it will only bring you down.

Hopefully I'll be incorporating weight training this week.

9. jennifer123

Nomad

Nomad, I have been working out really hard and before when I used to workout I was at most likely to cheat after a good workout because I was so ravenous. What I do now , that has worked miracles so far, is toward the end of my workout I down a protein shake (low carb) and it satisfies my appetite while I go home and make wise decisions. You should have some sort of healthy shake with you or powder ready to mix with some water and down it before you leave. I really believe this will work for you.

Congrats on everyones progress. I have been doing great. I do not know what has gotten into me but I have only been working out for like 10 days and I know I had lost 3 lbs on Friday and I know tomorrow when I weigh in I will see even a couple more off. I cannot get over how fast my middle slims out.

Everyone rock on and remember keep your workouts new and dont spend an hour on a cardio machine, that gets old real quick. Example here, my workout today:

25 mins interval training on Cybex Crosstrainer Level 6 burned 430 cals

Then I take 6-9 exercises and split them up into groups of 2 or 3 each group with at least one exercise to keep my HR up and 3 sets per group rest in between sets.

When completed with these exercises, 10 mins Gauntlet (big stair machine) 120 cals. All this done in 1 hr 20 mins (can be done faster actually). Now thats not only time effective but talk about a workout thats not boring and burns calories out the ying yang. My shirt today had sweat all the way down past my chest (woohoo).

I LOVE IT!!!!!

NEVER GETS BORING!!!

10. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Lol. I like my hour long cardio :P Never bored. Actually gives me time to get myself together for the day and reinforce why I'm there.

Also, thanks for the tip on the postworkout shake. We normally do lunch around 20 min after we leave, but it is like 4-5 hours after training that I start starving. But you may be on to something: being a bit more proactive about eating more often (i.e. maybe every 90 min instead of 2-3 hours) after I've depleted everything may just do the trick.

Glad to hear you are doing well. Congratz!

11. fitnessdave

Past three days I've been in a funk. Couldn't convince myself to get out and run last night... in addition my father-in-law had stopped by with some Papa John's pizza. Ack!

Tonight I think I'm going with my brother to pick up a weight bench for his place... if so, we'll be doing some lifting as well. Also, I'm making sure that I get out to run tonight!

I believe the wife and I will be doing grocery shopping either tonight or tomorrow as well, I'm looking forward to that.

Looks like everyone is doing great, keep it up... it's motivating to read your progress and helps keep us on track. Love your enthusiasm Jennifer!

12. fitnessdave

I never get bored from just running either. I get in a zone and it becomes automatic and therapeutic.

13. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Last night was my first major setback. My blender crashed to the floor and shattered *tear*. Now I have to go buy a new one ; ;

On the up side that had me a bit depressed, but this morning was uplifting. My weight on Monday was 222.0 (after a splurge the night before) and my weight today was 220.6 (after a 16oz protein shake). Maybe water weight, maybe not, but it is what I needed to see this morning after the death of my blender.

14. jennifer123

Sorry about your blender:cry:. ALso, congrats on your weight:claphigh:. I have some great news also. I weighed myself on the 25th of May and was down 3lbs. I weighed my self today and I was down an additional 5lbs:tu:(WOW). So, that leaves me with a total of 8lbs lost so far since around May 15/17th (WOOHOO):claplow:

I am so excited and hope to have a weigh in just as good next week. :jumping:

#34 jennifer123, Jun 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  15. fitnessdave

Well... I'm back at it. Friday and Saturday I ran two miles each day, which helped transition back into my running as I took five straight days off... wow... what a slacker.

Friday when I got out and ran I felt great though! Saturday felt a bit warmer, but the run was still good and my endurance is definitely improving.

Yesterday (Sunday) I didn't run, but I went to my brothers and we tried out the new weight bench he bought at a garage sale. Nothing fancy, but it works. It's just a bench with a barbell.

We're setting his basement up as a little gym so if anyone has any good ideas for other equipment, let us know... we're thinking stuff we can get as cheap as possible (possibly an exercise bike, treadmill, pull-up bar).

So, I'm feeling pretty sore today... I haven't seriously lifted in probably 4 years... my next plan is to formulate some sort of weight lifting routine. Suggestions are appreciated, but I'll be reading up a bit more on it so I think I'll manage to figure out something.

Weighed in the other morning after cardio and was just under 210, but then weighed again yesterday at 213... so although I am weighing myself here and there I'm not too concerned with the numbers at this point (even though this is a lose 30lbs competition, heh). Anyway, I think I'm making progress, although a little slow... I'm still headed in the right direction.

Looks like everyone else is headed in the right direction as well, nice work! :tucool:

16. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Congratulations! It sound like you needed the break.

17. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Update:

New monday weight: 219.3, -6.2 total, -2.7 this week

Goal met! :D

Now here's the fun part. Wed I started dropping weight like crazy. I went from 222.0 to 221.0 (T/W) to 220.6 to 219.6 to 218.3 to 216.5 (yesterday) back to 219.3.

I think it was probably the big lunch yesterday that messed me up. I may be retaining water and glycogen at the moment. I think most of what I dropped was water but in any case it will come back off. I like looking at those smaller numbers in the morning.

I managed to get all workouts in as scheduled and the changes I mentioned last week seemed to work wonders.

I just upped around half my lifts today but missed some of my cardio yesterday and all of it at this point. I'm planning on going back tonight to get it in.

I noticed that the day after my cheats I'm always a couple pounds up so I'm going to try and eliminate all cheats this week.

Also leg day has been moved from day 1 to day 2 since the HITT on day 4 seems to be interfering with leg progress. It may slow down adding to my lifts, but I really couldn't care less about adding muscle at the moment.

Overall, it is looking great. I got off to a rocky start but next monday is day 29 so I'll delay updates till tuesday for a 30 day update. I think I can pull off 10 lbs for the month at this point.

18. fitnessdave

Last night was by far my best run... the temperature may have helped, it was in the 50's, but I'd like to think it's from my continued hard work.

I ran two miles, and I felt like I was sprinting the whole thing.... I felt so much faster than normal pace, and I wasn't getting tired at all. It was awesome. I lifted very briefly beforehand, as my DOMS from Sunday were still bothering me... sore today too.

Weighed in at 211 this morning, which puts me right around 9 lbs lost so far. I've kind of been hovering in the 209-213 area for the past week or so. I've been weighing myself at the same time to be consistent... so I'm not really worried about it, but I'm keeping an eye on it, as I might need to change something up.

19. boLa8

boLa8 Active Member

Congrats guys! looks like the 30 mark is going to be hit before Sep!

Keep it up, work is paying off

20. jennifer123

Dave congrats on the running thing. I am still doing well, I am just ready for all this weight to be gone :mad: I am aiming for the end of July to be my 30lb lost mark. I really think I can do it. I have been weighing in on Fridays and I am really going to work it tomorrow so I can have a great weigh in. :tucool:

Bola, thanks for the comment.:tu:

Nomad, congrats to you as well and just remember if its not bringing you closer to your goal (consciosly ask yourself this before you do anything questionable) then JUST SAY NO:nono:!!!! LOL I am learning this slowly but surely.

I am so ready to be a lean machine again :flex:

Guys keep on posting in here anything. I think we all could use the motivation and this is my only challenge. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME:o!!!

Whats up with everyone???