1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

-30 lbs by september challenge!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by nomadsails, May 15, 2007.

1. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hey all, sorry to start another one but I don't feel like waiting till the dates on the last one are over.

Anyway I'm challening myself (and anyone else who's in) to drop 30 over the summer (ends in Sept. for me).

Thats 3 1/2 months to drop 30 lbs.

Good luck and thanks to anyone who is up for it.

2. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

I'm in

Cheers nomadsails,

You know what? Let's do it. I would really need some motivation.
    Ok, so let's try to drop 30 lbs until the end of September.

Things to do:
    - cardio each day
    - three weightlifting sessions/week
    - eat 5-6 portions/day
    - eliminate bad food

Thanks for starting the challenge.

Measurements:
    5/15/2007 : 90.5 kg ~ 200.0 lbs, 27.0% BF
    5/22/2007 : 90.2 kg ~ 198.9 lbs, 26.4% BF
    5/29/2007 : 90.0 kg ~ 198.4 lbs, 26.4% BF

#2 DarkCloud, May 15, 2007
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  3. Falhurk

Falhurk Well-Known Member

Am I allowed to start back in time when I had 30 pounds to go? I only need to lose another 20-25 pounds now. Does that still count?

4. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Dark, I'm in for that. I'm going to try weights 6/wk to see what happens though..

Falhurk, sure. Just means that you are starting with a bit of an advantage. It will be good motivation to see if I can ge there before you :P

5. Azaroth

Azaroth Active Member

I participated in the last "lose 30 pounds challenge" and made it to about 20 pounds before plateauing out.

Currently I'm in the process of replenishing my metabolism by increasing my calories. But I'm willing to participate in this challenge, and hopefully succeed.

The plan is to step the calories down more gradually, move back to an every day split (which I found was much better at burning fat) and get the cardio going again (which I slacked off on, I can't stand it).

I currently weigh 220. Hopefully I can hit 190 by some point in August, which will be really lean for me.

6. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Well then Azaroth we'll be even.

I'm 222.8 as of this morning and the goal is 190. I'm there every step of the way and I second an everyday split.

3, 4, and 5 day splits are okay, but I notice a HUGE difference around day 7, 8, or 9 of a program.

7. fitnessdave

fitnessdave Well-Known Member

I'm in... I started running regularly again last week. Twenty two year old male, 6'1", 220lbs.

Hoping to do at least 30 lbs.

Right now, I'm just watching what I eat (not counting calories), eating healthy foods, eliminate soda and junk foods, and I've taken up running everyday again. 1 - 3 miles on average... but slowly increasing.

Good luck to all!

8. Azaroth

Azaroth Active Member

Looks like this is the "First to 190" challenge. :P

9. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

lol.

First to 190 it is then. First one there gets a cookie :-).)

10. doubleplus

doubleplus Active Member

I started last month at 240, and I'm down to 230 now, so 30 lbs is a perfect goal... Don't know that I could win a race to 190 though. :flex:

11. fitnessdave

I had some chinese last night - I'm starting out strong! Hahaha.... eh.. I'll just consider it my cheat for the week and not have one this weekend.

Do you guys want to do weekly weigh-ins? Pictures? Not that it has to be formatted, or precise or anything... just wondered if there was any sort of plan.

12. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Well, I'm keeping a log in the Fitness Journal's page (Nomad's log) which I am updateing daily and my do a bit extra every week.

I think weekly weigh-ins are a great ide though.

I'll be making some major updates on Monday (day 8) and I'll be sure to post the progress here.

Does everyone want to do their own thing or are we going to become more coordinated (like update every Xday of the week)?

13. OH_Broker

OH_Broker Active Member

This is exactly what I need to stay motivated over the summer. Great idea :tu:

I think the more detailed the better. I'm up for weekly updates and pictures.

14. fitnessdave

Yeah, I'm up for whatever anyone can manage. I wouldn't want it to be a hassle or anything. So, I'll try and keep updated, and get a couple pictures up purely for self-motivation.

Good luck, hope everyone is off to a good start.

15. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Hello all. Nomad's Log is being discontinued. It is going to get messy pretty quick and appears not to have any real reception. I'm keeping logs in docs.google.com right now and may decide to start tracking with excel. If ya'll want to post pics then great. I probably will start around week 3 or 4 when there's enough of a difference that I can tell that way I'm pumped to show progress.

Here's the weekly update for week 1 of the -30/first to 190 challenge.

The start of me deciding to take off weight I was at 225.8. As of the begining of last week (day 1) I was at 223.8. The week started off strong with a leg workout, ab workout, and 10 min of cardio that kicked my @ss after a leg workout and saw me with a heart rate of over 185; diet was clean however and I felt great and pretty pumped. Day two was strong as well with a chest/shoulders workout, abs, and 25 min of cardio; diet was not great: I had a polish hotdog for lunch and around 1/4 bag of movie popcorn when I got conned into going with my roommates (though I'm happy to say I didn't buy it). The movie started the push into the 6hrs of sleep realm which continued till Friday. Day 3 was 100% clean with a back/arms workout, abs, and 40 min of cardio. Day 4 was a cardio day to break up my weight day split and saw 50 min of cardio with a clean diet, though during lunch I did have 1 cookie. Day 5 had me very exhaused, I overslept and missed my morning workout, got led on an escapade with some coworkers for lunch and wound up breaking diet a bit and subsequently lead to me missing a couple mid day meals and I wound up eating 2 slices of stuft crust pizza and some bbq wings. 1 cheat day per week is okay with me for now, and I'll take a day of rest when my body tells me I need it. Day 6 I somehow got confused and did a chest/shoulders workout rather than a leg workout like I should have but I doubled the sets on my ab workout and did 30 min of cardio as I was pressed for time, then spent all day at the dojo and did 3-4 hours of actual training. Diet was okay given the ammount of exercise I did that day but I blew it at night eating about 90% of a Mushroom Jack fajitas at chilis that night. Day 7 was the worst. Morning back/arms workout went okay but I had to cut my workout short due to an upset stomach and skipped abs and cardio. Diet included a couple missed meals and I ended up walking to Long John Silvers wtih some friends and blew it.

Overall I would give the week about 50% total. The total loss from the start of my diet (before day 1) is 3 lbs but the week total is 1 lbs. It is a start but I counted and have 7 cheat meals on the diet including 1 from fast food. My lowest weight of the week I logged was 222.0 lbs. on Sat morning but over the next 2 days I gained about 1 lb due to bad diet.

The ups of the week are I am starting to notice more fullness in my muscles adn I would wager I've lost about 1" from my waist. I also tend to put on muscle pretty easily with my age so I may still have a larger fat loss than 1 lb.

A rocky start but a start none the less.

This week I will allow 1 cheat day but no cokes or fast food.

1 lb down, 32.8 to go!

How's everyone else doing?

16. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Just so I'm being completely honest, here's what I'm doing:

Legs+Abs+Cardio - 3x10 - squats, deadlifts, knee ext, leg curls, calf raises + chair rasies 3x15, bicycle crunch 3x25, vert crunch 3x15, side bridge 5x30 (working up to these numbers on abs) + working up to 60 min cardio

Chest+shoulders+Abs+Cardio - 3x10 - dumbell bench, incline bench, flyes, front/side/rear raises (3x15) + abs same as above + working up to 60 min of cardio

Back+arms+abs+ cardio - 3x10 - dumbell rows, lat pulldowns, incline curls, machine tricep extentions, preacher curls, dumbell tricep extentions

Cardio - work up to 90 min

Meals are 6/day wtih 2 muscle milk shakes, 2 cliff bars, 2 whole food meals. Not ideal but i spend the bulk of my day on my butt infront of a computer and it is an easy way to keep the cal's down and protein up since I don't have kitchen access.

17. jennifer123

jennifer123 Well-Known Member

Not Too Late???

Ok, I would like to join and be the female in this challenge. I need to lose more than 30 but that is a great start. I AM SO READY FOR THIS!!! I am going to be doing as follows:

Sunday: Weights/HIIT split
    Monday: Weights+LISS
    Tuesday: Off
    Wednesday: HIIT
    Thursday: Weights+LISS
    Friday: Weights+HIIT
    Saturday: LISS

Starting Weight: Post tomorrow

BF= 27-28%

18. fitnessdave

Welcome Jennifer! What do you do for LISS?

Good luck!

19. jennifer123

jennifer123 Well-Known Member

:heart::heart:
    Well, I do anything from treadmill to this amazing cross trainer machine at the gym. I also do the recumbant bike. I am fortunate to have a great gym and a nice treadmill at my apartment. As a matter of fact, I just got done doing a combo LISS/HIIT workout. My schedule that I listed will not start until May 28th when school starts back. Starting then, Tuesday will be my day off. These EAS AdvantEDGE carb control shakes are great after a workout and really inexpensive. They sell them at Wal Mart and I am in love with the vanilla. I eat a combo protein carb mixture after a worjout. It always feels good to refeed my body. How was everyone elses day?

I got my HR all the way to 192 on the last 15 mins of my cardio (the part of the cardio that was HIIT). I like to to LISS for like 30mins and add like 15 mins of HIIT at the end.:heart:

Hipe everyone had a good one.:gl:

20. nomadsails

nomadsails Active Member

Day was great! Thanks for asking :)

Today was legs/abs/cardio. Pulled off 40 min then realized I had lost my keys and had to cut it short to find them :(

Not sure if I'm doing LISS or HIIT but I tend to go full bore for an hour with my hr generally between 150-185. Any ideas?

Congrats on 195! Unless you are like 17 I wouldn't try to push it too much farther though. I saw my roommate with 210 once and he was very ragged for the next day.