1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

3 meals?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by jasoncurry29, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jasoncurry29

jasoncurry29 Well-Known Member

Anyone out there eating just three meals? how's it working for you? I'm finding snack sized meals more annoying than anything else.

2. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

I eat 4, one of which is just a protein shake or bar. Some days I'll only have 3. As long as total calories/macros add up, it doesn't really matter when or how often you eat.

3. jasoncurry29

Thanks. I didn't think there was any magic to more meals. Eating less food while cutting I would like to have bigger meals. Do you get hungry during long stretches between meals?

4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Sometimes. If you're eating below maintenance, you're going to get hungry, you just have to suck it up and deal with it. Try to learn when you are genuinely hungry and when your brain is just trying to tell you that it's time to eat out of habit - this was a big one for me and I can deal with "hunger" a lot easier now.

If you do find that you get too hungry between meals then maybe more meals would work for you. I tend to eat around 10am / 1.30-2pm / 4.30pm / 7pm so I don't have huge gaps between my meals anyway. What you eat is also important - I saw in your journal that you're snacking on fruit, but fruit alone is not that great for feeling full. Protein is usually the best for this, along with vegetables. You can eat a lot of broccoli without consuming many calories, while also getting yourself to a nice level of fullness.

5. jasoncurry29

I see that. I'm eating at 730, 12 and 7. I have coffee at about 4 to get me through to dinner. If I need an additional snack I will make it some kind of protein/fat... Maybe cottage cheese

6. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

I've never been a proponent of eating 3 - 6 meals regularly throughout the day. I've seen great success in fat loss and strength gains while eating just once a day, in fact. Eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not. Listen to your body, because everyone is different. There is no single meal frequency that works for everyone.

If you do snack, I definitely recommend making your snacks something high in fat and/or protein, though. My favorite was always some full-fat Greek yogurt.

7. jasoncurry29

I like the idea of one meal (I would imagine you could eat quite a meal). I don't think it would be something I would look forward to daily.... Waiting until dinner to eat. I know I could eat any meal but I like eating dinner so that's the one I would pick. I've had difficulty eating when hungry/stopping when full because I think I analyze whether every feeling I have is hunger or not, am I full? This is or isn't a good time to eat ect. Ect.

8. marked

marked Well-Known Member

Being really old, I've seen the fashion brigade go over the 7 meals strategy, the no carbs after 7pm, and all that in the past decade.

Honestly, to be a proponent of any meal number and rules is total BS.

If you want to eat 1 meal , 3 meals or 10 meals, as longs as it hits your macros it's not going to be a problem.

There are proponents of IF, whereby at leangains the recommendation is 16 hours, but Martin's commentary is based on his lifestyle and not wanting to do the 7 meals stuff. He was getting tired of it, and IF fits his lifestyle plus the science behind it (which he goes over) is positive, but he does counter that with if it doesn't fit your lifestyle then don't do it as dietary habits are for life - do what you can to make sure you have longevity in your dietary habits.

This is what is key. If you hit your calories and macros (for a surplus or deficit depending on what your goal is) you'll be fine, and have meals that suit your lifestyle. That is if you like 4, great, if you like 7, great.

The one area that is interesting is when you are going 20% below or above maintenance. If below, then you may find 7 meals a day of small calories not satiating. Conversely if 20% above maintenance is requiring an extra 600 calories, you may find yourself finding it too uncomfortable to shovel it in with the traditional 3 meals.

One thing I do find surprising, is some people count a pre or post workout shake as a meal. I don't, so I'd say I eat 3 meals a day (why? To fit in with the kids who are very young and I don't want them to see anything different at their ages). However I do have a post workout shake on lifting days.

Good luck with your choices.

9. jasoncurry29

Hey thanks, since making this post I have actually gotten use to eating 2 meals and a snack if I really need it. Large deficits are very manageable when you can eat 700 calorie meals. On days that I eat maintenance I can basically eat anything I want at those meals.