1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2x/week full body training and triathlon training

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by TheThirdMohican, Sep 27, 2013.

1. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Hello everyone,

Going to start training for my first sprint triathlon but did not want to fall off strength training wagon completely. Any recommendations to 2-3x/week lifting routines which I could easily incorporate along with swim/bike/run?

Thanks!

2. Sedentary_Endomorph

I completed 6 Sprint and 1 Olympic distance tri's last season. I didn't do any heavy lifting 4-5 days before a race, but otherwise, there is no reason why you can't lift 2-3 days per week with either a morning or afternoon run or swim. I personally prefer lifting after work. Swimming or an easy bike ride the morning following a heavy lifting routine feels good (especially swimming). I do vary my intensity as necessary.

Sprint distance races are really fun and aren't especially taxing. You can "get by" with 2-60 minute bike; 2-45 minute run; and 2-30 minute swim per week, so there is time to strength train if that is your thing. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW, Joe Friel wrote a couple good books--triathlete's training bible and race weight. He does offer advice on weight training for multi-sport athletes--especially middle aged men (since we loose about 1% lean mass per year without weight training starting by age 35 or so). He also advises weight training 1x per week for all endurance athletes as heavy cardio will tend to cannibalize lean tissue.