1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

2tyrefyre vs. Robert28 vs. QuikZ06 vs. eodman12 vs. Chris_Otto

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by eodman12, Jul 27, 2004.

1. QuikZ06

QuikZ06 Well-Known Member

I second the motion for a group weight loss goal. My vote is for 100lbs for the 5 of us. 125 including "Almost"

2. 2tyrefyre

2tyrefyre Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, I plan on providing at least 25lbs of that, if not 50lbs! :db:

3. Chris_Otto

Chris_Otto Well-Known Member

Mon. Aug. 9th: 1 Week

Start Weight: 230.0
    Today's Weight: 225.2

I took a couple sets of measurements and plugged them into mybodycomp. The average was 23% BF. The Tanita is coming back with 29% now so I haven't decided which one to track... I'm leaning towards the measurements.

This week the focus is on getting the diet dialed in. We finally got a chance to do some grocery shopping and there is decent food once again in my fridge. That was half the battle.

4. 2tyrefyre

Start Weight: 236
    Current Weight: 231

I missed just 1 workout session (friday evening) because I was on the road to Michigan for the weekend. I did my best to avoid the food that isn't good for me, but you have to eat sometime. Glad to be back in my controlled enviorment. :cool:

This week, I plan on hitting all my goals, and have a solid workout week. I plan on adding an additional 5 minutes to my evening run on the elliptical so that will make my routine: 20 minutes elliptical HIT (morning) / 25 minutes elliptical HIT (evening). M/W/F before I run, I lift weights for about 15 minutes or so (depends on what I'm actually doing). :bb: :db:

later,

JC

5. QuikZ06

Starting weight: 214
    Today's Weight: 216
    Yesterday's Weight: 213.6

Not really happy with my eating thus far. :o
    Lifting 3 days per week for about an hour to an hour & a half.
    Cardio- I want to do Early morning running, and evening running. So far last week I got in 3 or 4 cardio sessions. I want to get this up to at least 7-10 sessions.
    I think I am not showing any progress because I am eating my last meal WAY TOO LATE. This I must stop. Using the software DietPower, I think I have a very slow Metabolism :mad: . I must be very careful not to make it go any slower. Two week till my best-friend (bar buddy) gets back from Rehab (Alcoholism :gl: ). So I have two weeks to decide if I am going Dry. I am a construction estimator, and one of my subcontractors died Sat night of a heartattack. He was 40 years old. He was a large man. Even though I am only 26 it still hits close to home.

6. Robert28

Robert28 Well-Known Member

Starting weight : 242
    Current weight : 238

I did pretty well this week, overall. I was around 2300 calories every day, excluding Saturday when I had my cheat meal.

The gym at my housing complex is closed indefinitely, so that's messing with my plans. I have a membership to another gym, but I liked to go to the closer gym to do morning cardio, because my weighlifting gym is much closer to work than home. I have been doing afternoon cardio along with the lifting, but I know that is not ideal. I'm going to have to adjust my schedule if I want to get back to morning cardio.

Lifting went just OK this week. I was a little down in most exercises, but I was also dead tired for some reason. Maybe I was missing the energy boost from the morning cardio, but I was dragging in the afternoons. That will also need some adjustment.

Happy with the 4 pound drop this week, although most of that was temporary weight gained during my off week. Hopefully it will help me break through the 237 plateau that spurred the off-week, though.

Great work so far by everybody.

7. Robert28

Grrrrrrr. Started the week off well, but had some minor tooth pain on Monday afternoon. Took an advil and went to bed, didn't think much of it. I woke up at 4am with excruciating pain in my mouth and couldn't sleep anymore. I went to the dentist, and it's what I suspected - wisdom tooth needs to come out. I had it yanked out today, but the doc said 3-5 days of no solid foods.

This is going to be a difficult week, because my diet is going to be more inflexible than usual. I'm trying to focus more on sugar free jello and puddings to keep the calories down, but I've decided that making sure this heals right is more important than rushing back to solid foods to get back to the diet. Who knows, I could even drop a few pounds because eating is so painful and frustrating. I'm also going to try to keep some exercise going this week, but some of the painkillers I'm taking knock me out, so I'll just have to play that by ear as well.

Hope everybody else is having a better week than me. :tucool:

8. Knubb

Knubb Well-Known Member

You certainly can OD water. If you drink too much, your blood stream will contain a higher concentration of water (well, your blood is mainly water anyway, but higher still), which will (due to osmosis) push more water into your cells, and cause minerals to be pushed out. This is in no way healthy for you.

I must say that I'm looking forward to seeing the results of this challenge.

#28 Knubb, Aug 12, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  9. Chris_Otto

Start Weight: 230.0
    Today's Weight: 228.4

There are some extenuating circumstances for the weight gain: I partied way too hard this weekend. I am bloated to hell and I need some quality time with my throne here at work. I'm certain after a day or two more, my weight will quickly drop back to my pre-weekend level. I was hoping to be the same weight but it wasn't to be... bummer. :D

10. QuikZ06

Starting weight: 214.0
    Last week Weight: 216.0
    Today's Weight: 216.2
    Total change: +2.2

This week will be a killer. Last week was a week off due to a friend being back from California, just before he goes off to Iraq.

11. 2tyrefyre

Starting Weight: 236
    Current Weight: 231.5

I seem to be floating around this mark. Since I have been stuck around ~231, I have stepped up my workouts on the elliptical to 30 min a piece. 1 morning / 1 evening. Before the evening WO I also lift weights for about 20 mins. I'm hoping that I can shake this weight plateu early. I am already seeing slight signs of change in my body. My huge gut is smaller, arms are starting to thin away, legs are showing more definition, etc. The biggest notice that I've seen so far is that I can fit into pants that are over two years old for me, which is 1 pants size smaller than what I was wearing. :tu:

So, I'm siked! :db:

12. Robert28

Last week's weight : 238
    This week's weight : 237
    Total change : -4

As I mentioned earlier, I had a wisdom tooth out this past week and had to put the workout and diet on hold for the most part. I think I did a good job of keeping the calories in check, and the weight more or less seems to bear that out. I'm looking forward to getting back into my workouts this week, though.

I'm still really tired, and I think it has something to do with the antibiotics. I think I should be ready to push myself this week, though. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't at my best with the lifting, but I should be able to tough out 45 minutes of cardio each day.

I'm back to the dreaded 237 pound mark, where I was stuck for 2 weeks previously. Let's see if I can break the plateau this time.

13. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I hate to sound lack an ass, but in my opinion you guys are weighing yourselves way too often. Perhaps it's a motivational tool for you, but if you rely on day to day weight changes to tell you about your progress then I think you're going to be misled. Water weight can fluctuate as much as 10 lbs (more for the bigger guys).

Weighing yourself everyday is fine provided you don't put too much stock in it. It's cool to see the gradual trend in the data over several months. But you should be evaluating how much you work out and how well you eat rather than what your apparent 'results' are. Focus on the processes rather than the perceived outcomes. If you took a week off from working out and ate like a pig but saw that you had lost 5 pounds, would you feel like it was a successful week? If so you're misdirecting your focus.

It can be very frustrating to do 1 hour of cardio every day for a week and then weigh yourself only to find you gained 3 pounds. This happens to me all the time so I've just learned to only weigh myself once a month.

A better daily activity would be the photos, like what John Stone did. He may have weighed himself daily as well, but I'm sure he didn't obsess about daily changes in weight as much as the photos. They are the best indicator of change because they are a real representation of our physical characteristics rather than 'MASS' which could contain or lack numerous fluids and digestive biproducts irrelevant to our lean muscle mass.

14. Robert28

Nico, I agree, focusing solely on the weight number is a bad thing. It fluctuates wildly for reasons that are impossible to understand.

As you suggested, I weigh myself everyday to track trends, using 3-5 day rolling averages and trendlines. The only reason I post the "this week" number is because others do so. The number that matters to me is my weekly average, and that's the only one that I actually care about.

As long as the trend is going in the right direction and I'm satisfied that I'm doing the right things to get results, I'm happy. If I wake up one day and I'm +3, I really don't give it much thought. I did at first, but I've learned not to put much stock in that.

15. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

You've got the right attitude. What is concerning is when people put in work, see that they didn't lose weight or [gasp!] gained weight, and then get discouraged and skip the workout. "Screw this exercising, it doesn't do anything, I'll try just starving myself". This leads to a few days of eating nothing then they resume pigging out and laying around all day. Obesity is generally made more difficult to overdcome because it can be the result of some sort of cycle of behavior where the attempts to lose weight actually backfire and cause more weight gain.

The question to all of us is: What will motivate us to change our habits over the months and years to follow? This challenge should provide a good motivation to all of you for the next several months.

16. Chris_Otto

I weigh myself everyday and I trend it. I also watch my diet (not to the Nth degree) but I am still feeling out how closely I need to stick to the calculated intakes. I'm not overly upset or discouraged by my recent drinking binge which delayed my progress. I can see my progress in the mirror and in my pants and that to me is the more important measure of success.

From my prespective, your opinion is noted but ignored. I don't post here to report my daily weight or my weekly photos (which I AM taking). I am just posting my weight weekly as a "Hey, I'm still here, this is where I am at and I hope you're all still plugging away."

17. QuikZ06

I agree with Chris_Otto. We only post our weight weekly. I myself weigh-in every morning and log it into DietPower & a speadsheet of my own. DietPower for the metabolism calculations on goals. My spreadsheet for the weekly ave for treading. As for the daily pics I think they are a waste. Even weekly their won't be much change, so I do Bi-weekly.

18. eodman12

eodman12 Well-Known Member

Well ,
    I just got back from my one week vacation in houston and have started to turn on the diet and exercise. I do not really count calories as much as i eliminate certian things I used to eat. This has worked really well for me in the past and is working well now. So far as my pt goes I have a 5.5 mile ride to work and 5.5 mile ride home. While at work I lift heavy ammo all day long and then either at 0430 I pt/run or at 1700+ i pt/run.
    So far all is good and I am still at my 213 lbs area that I began with.

-Phil

19. Robert28

Last week's weight : 237
    This week's weight : 234
    Total change : -8

Good week for me in both the execution of my plan and the scale results. Good trend in weight this whole week, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have finally broken the 237 plateau for good.

I upped my cardio from 45 to 60 minutes and I think it has definitely helped. Combined with some extremely strenous basketball last week, I probably burned more calories last week than at any point in the diet. I also stuck to my diet plan very well.

Only downside was that for the second consecutive week, my lifting was a little mediocre. I'm suspecting it has something to do with the fact that I'm still not doing morning cardio again (fix the weightroom already! :mad: ). That makes me tend to rush a bit because afternoon lifting combined with increased cardio makes me get home later than I'd like.

Overall, a very good week. I want to try to work even harder this week to make sure 237 is behind me for good.

20. Chris_Otto

Starting: 230.0
    Today: 223.4

A decent week. The schedule is working against me leading up to Labor Day weekend (many projects to wrap up to have visitors) so I don't think I'll get a workout in everyday as I have in the past. The change so far is noticable and my overall aerobic capacity seems like it has doubled (probably not but it seems like it).