1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

2tyrefyre vs. Robert28 vs. QuikZ06 vs. eodman12 vs. Chris_Otto

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by eodman12, Jul 27, 2004.

1. eodman12

eodman12 Well-Known Member

2tyrefyre vs. Robert28 vs. QuikZ06 vs. eodman12 vs. Chris_Otto vs. Cuda

By august 1st post ur pictures 1 flexed one not flexed of each (front/side/back)

Post starting weight and bf%
    Challenge ends december 20th

-Phil

#1 eodman12, Jul 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  2. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Count me in folks.

3. eodman12

Wow well I am getting smashed tonite and eating whatever I want tommorow because monday I will being starting this challenge. Just wanted to say good luck I should have my pictures up tommorow after I get back from work.

-Phil

4. Chris_Otto

Chris_Otto Well-Known Member

I'm still at the inlaws today. I might have my pics up tonight but most likely will not until after work tomorrow.

5. Robert28

Robert28 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm back from my trip and I'm ready to get started tomorrow. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow night. I'll get my BF measured on Wednesday as well.

Good luck to all!

6. Chris_Otto

Ok, here goes:

Start Weight: 230.0
    Start BF%*: 30.9
    Height: 5'10"

Pics are attached.

After cropping the pics and posting them, I can't believe how bad of shape I am in. I cannot fathom how awful I looked Dec. 31st and 18 lbs. heavier. Well, now that I'm rehabbed, I hope to pick up where I left off.

Attached Files:

7. eodman12

Start weight:208
    Height: 5'8
    BF:22-24%

Wow I'm fat. I gotta alot of weight to loose.
    -Phil

Attached Files:

8. eodman12

My flexed poses lol

Attached Files:

9. 2tyrefyre

2tyrefyre Well-Known Member

BF%: ? probably 1/2 :D
    Weight: 237 (starting)
    Height: 5'7"
    Goal: Get below 200lbs and in better shape. :tu:

You guys look in better shape than me, I'll give you that. I think that I'm the human equivalent to a butter-ball turkey. :eat:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I definitely have a ways to go, but hopefully I can make it all happen!!!

Thanks to everyone doing this challenge, and the forum!

Anyways, Good luck to all! :bb:

#9 2tyrefyre, Aug 2, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  10. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

You guys have a long time to make improvements-so set up your training programs so that you avoid burnout. Put in some short term goals with rewards. Allow yourselves a little bit of slack to avoid losing interest. I've seen lots of people show extreme dedication over a short period but stop improving not because it's too hard but because they lack the motivation to stay focused over the longer term.

The key won't be whether you stick to your workouts, diet and cardio 100% vs 90% for any given week or day, the key will be whether you keep the goals in mind throughout the four and half months versus falling off the wagon completely. Don't let a few days from the gym turn into three weeks off.

Between the four of you I think you guys could lose cumulatively over 100 pounds of fat during this contest.

You should each post a brief summary of your strategies for diet, weight training, and cardio.

The most important piece of advice I can give, not that anyone has asked, is to pay close attention to your hunger levels, the timing of your meals, and your portion sizes. Don't let yourself get too hungry-that slows down your metabolism. Don't eat a huge meal on an empty stomach, and learn how to eat until you're not hungry, not until you're 'full'. Don't eat a lot of food in the last few hours before going to sleep. Your body is trained over thousands of years to crave food that makes you fat-you'll have to learn to use brains to defeat this natural desire for consumption.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing who makes the biggest improvements and you never know-there could be a John Stone among you.

11. Robert28

Great ideas, Nico. I'll try to include some of that information, along with my pictures, later tonight.

12. 2tyrefyre

Thanks for the suggestions Nico. It will definitely come in handy. I have finally gotten myself off of the "Coke" diet, after other helpful suggestions from AWD_ENVY. Now, water is my best friend. :cool:

I'm going for consistency in my workout sessions, using my elliptical in the morning (20min) and in the evening (at least 30min) during the week. On the weekends, I'll do at least the 20min in the morning. It used to be hard to keep motivated on that machine because in part, it was boring. So, I moved it into the bedroom, much to my wife's rolling eyes. This way, I have to stare at it, and then use it. Also, this way, I can watch the tv while I use it.

On top of that, I will occasionally lift weights before I run on the elliptical. The weight bench has also moved into our bedroom as well. :tu: My best motivation will be my wife because she's threatening to sell the equipment if I don't use it. lol :p

Anyways, good luck to all!

13. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Carbonated beverages are very detrimental to weight loss. If you drink 12-20 large glasses of water you'll stay hydrated and feel less hungry because your stomach is nearly always full. Plus all those trips to the bathroom keep you on your feet throughout the day. I think it's impossible to overdose on water.

It sounds like you're focused mainly on cardio-that's good given your current condition. But don't underestimate the benefits of weight training for body sculpting and increasing your metabolism. If you build some muscle it will boost your caloric requirements and help to 'tighten up' your body. If I were you I would spend about 70% of my time doing cardio and about 30% working with weights. If you just have some dumbells and a bench you can effectively work biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, chest, and even legs(lunges).

Having the TV available is great for donig cardio. I like to work out late at night sometimes and I'll just get on a machine that's right in front of the TV and zone out on Sportscenter for 30 minutes without even noticing the pain I'm in.

When you do cardio, do you pay attention to your intensity? Have you learned about HIT on these boards yet? If you're doing two cardio workouts a day, I would do one workout using HIT and the other at a steady pace.

good luck

14. eodman12

My current plan is as follows for this week get used to my 1800 calorie diet and focus on tweaking it to alot of food in 1800 calories.

After this week is over I plan to start a cardio/pt regime. Im wierd but I like pushups/situps/pullups more then weights.
    So i plan on 30 mins of cardio when i get to work and before i leave work.
    And i plan to do a pt workout in the mornings m/w/f upperbody and abs
    t/th/sat lowerbody and abs.

My first workouts will probably be
    m/w/f
    4x20 pushups
    4x20 situps
    4x10 close pushup
    4x20 leg levers
    4x4 pullups
    4x20 atomic situps

t/th/sat
    4x20 squats
    4x20 l/r situp
    4x20 lunges (10 each leg)
    4x20 flutter kicks
    4x20 calf raises
    4x20 decline situps

The reason I am so heavy into pt is i practically live on my Navy ship so its hard to do weights.

I plan to do 30 mins 2x day on the elipitcal and work up to 60 x2 day.
    My problem is should i do it on the cardio or fatburn session its a delimna to me if i just wanna burn calories or burn less calories and focus on fat....

Well thats my ultra long plan.

Ive got a hard week of me i go on vaction next week and I know my guinea familys gonna try to feed me to death...

Anywaz
    Phil out

15. Marcman

Marcman Well-Known Member

BTW, i think you CAN OD on water - ever hear of people who take ecstacy dying from drinking too much water and *flooding* their cells or some crap like that?

16. QuikZ06

QuikZ06 Well-Known Member

My Plan

Well to start off I will be eating 2000 calories at the 40/30/30 ratio.
    1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. Equal amount of carbs, and the remainder to be fats(good one I hope). I have free weights at home, so that is where I lift. My best friends "Big" little brother is my lifting partner. He is a former star fullback for his HS and college teams, so he will push me further than I have ever been before. Today will be our final lifting day for the week (week 3 for us). We lift 3 days a week. Our lifting routine is such that we only do the same workout once a month. On the day I am not lifting I will be doing 30-45 min of HIIT, or golfing. I was taking creatine for the past 3 weeks, but I feel it is having a negative effect on my motivation. This is because I saw a quick weight gain, and my weight has been stead for the past 3 weeks. So I dropped it in the hopes that I will drop a quick few lbs and get back on track. I think I will be posting Pics every other week, as doing it every week won't yield much difference.

17. 2tyrefyre

On my elliptical, I only run with the programs it has on there (4 of them). All of them have the "hills" and "valleys" in them. On top of that, my machine starts out in the middle with resistance. So, because it changes the resistance throughout the workout, is this considered HIT?

:confused:

18. Almost

Almost Well-Known Member

Well here we go... My first post using this account, and starting a challenge. Here are some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:o

Weight: 211
    Height: 6'0"

19. Chris_Otto

I updated my site (see my sig for link) to remove the old stuff and start fresh. I will eventually get back into the charting and food plans but I am tight up against work deadlines.

My long term goal: drop 50 lbs. of fat (don't care what the scale says) but I need to get a REAL BMR and body fat measurement before I start quoting BF% numbers. I know I have at least that much on my body right now... if not more. :(

My goal for this challenge: drop approximately 38 lbs. That translates into 2 lbs. per week. My typical cutting phase starts with 4 lbs. per week for the first few weeks then tapers off to 2 and then eventually I'm lucky to get more than a lb. after the second month. This time I'm planning on more cardio so I can get in shape to do a triathlon with my bro-in-law. He is a machine and a good source of inspiration. His light work out days is to run 10 miles and bike for 20. (Of course he is 150 lbs. soaking wet with full body sponge suit on.) But that is my goal and as a result I expect to loose more weight than my last 18 lbs. loss earlier this year and perhaps I can beat my plateau I caught last time.

My interim goals:

1. Get back on a structured measurable diet. I guess at a lot, I don't plan a whole lot, and as a result my diet is hodge-podge good and pseudo-good. I'm going to cut out the cheat meals this time until Christmas too.. that is to be a reward for dropping nearly 40 lbs.

2. Get to the point where my aerobic capacity is good enough to not only finish the triathlon but not finish last. I haven't planned out when the next available event will be, but I'm hoping for it to be this year. If I have to wait until next season, I will be slightly disappointed.

3. Loose 20 lbs. by Nov. 1st. If I meet this goal I am pretty close to be on track for the final goal.

20. Robert28

Pictures are below. Wow. It was tough to post those. :d_redface Really puts into perspective how far I have to go.

I'm currently 6'1", 240 pounds. I've been dieting for a couple of months now. I was on for 7 weeks, lost 10 pounds and then hit a plateau. I took a week off to break it, and I'm hoping that temporary weight goes away quickly. My plan is to start out around 2300 calories. I may cut that down to anywhere from 1800-2000 if my progress is still slower than I'd like. My long-term goal is to get down to about 185 by my wedding on 6/25 of next year.

For this challenge, I'm aiming to lose 35 pounds. That would put me about 205 by Christmas and give me enough time to finish up the last 20 pounds.

As far as workout, I'm going to do 6-7 days of cardio for 45-60 minutes. That seems to work much better for me than HIIT. For the next few weeks I'm going to have to do it in the afternoon, but I hope to get back to doing it in the mornings before breakfast. My current lifting routine is similar to John Stone's initial plan, but I plan to work in some Max-OT when I plateau again.

I'm pretty good about getting a 40/40/20 split with my diet and keeping the calories in check. I track everything with fitday. I'm trying to refine the diet further by removing some fruits and other items and replacing them with cottage cheese and foods that are a bit more conducive to my goals.

For this challenge, we should also set a goal to lose a combined amount of weight in addition to our personal goals. How about 125 or 150 pounds lost between us by Dec. 20? Shooting for that goal could help us motivate each other because none of us can lose that much on our own. Just a thought.

Good luck everybody!

Attached Files: