1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

262lb Gorilla on a Rampage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by HalfGorilla, Dec 26, 2009.

1. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

awesome progress man!!! :claplow:

2. adamh707

adamh707 Well-Known Member

Your most recent photo is pretty impressive, some serious muscle on that frame.

3. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

Cheers. Getting there, slowly slowly.

You're too kind, but I don't really feel that way. I guess always being bigger than your average bloke you sort of get used to it. And there's still a lot of blubber too :)

4. adamh707

adamh707 Well-Known Member

Dude, you're 183cm, 14% BF and your ~100kg. You have a awesome frame. Keep going!

5. imelda

imelda Well-Known Member

Wow, you've really lost some inches off your middle! Nice progress!:tu:

6. HalfGorilla

The sad thing is, in the first photo my stomach was being sucked in considerably. I guess I've never been one just to let it all hang out, but in the new shot my stomach hardly moves when I relax everything.

Oh, and my butt has shrunk too. It has gone from ginormous, to just slightly oversize :)

But I'm really looking forward to seeing what I look like in another 10kgs time. Sub 100kgs, here I come!

7. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Damn impressive progress man.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    HG, you're making great progress. :tucool:

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Great work man. :cool: :nod:

10. HalfGorilla

Thanks folks.

The blubber-o-matic machine said 14.1% this morning, and weight was 106.7kgs (235.23lbs). Felt quite thirsty when I work up this morning so that weight figure could be lying slightly. We'll see next week I guess.

I'm going to give a strict Keto diet a try for the next 4 - 6 weeks, depending on progress. Already been on it since Monday. I haven't had the urge to rip anyone's head off in my carb depleted state... Yet.

Woohoo! Friday! And that means :bb: (delts) :)

11. HalfGorilla

Okay, so we're one week into the keto diet and things are going well. For the first few days I had these weird headaches (not sure if they were related) but they have gone now. No mental foggyness as such. Strength is either equal to the previous week or still going up.

I have definitely noticed my muscles are looking flatter, but that's something I can live with for the time being. Another side affect of flatter muscles is appearing slightly fatter too. I especially noticed this at the start of last week, but that seems to be going away now (i.e. the blubber seems to be coming off).

I saw my doctor this morning, and the first thing he said was "you've lost weight", I was kind of surprised at my actual weight has only changed by a couple of kilograms since I saw him last. But I guess this lifting and eating well it certainly paying off - it's weird how a self assessment can be totally wrong, that's why you have to take pics and BF% readings I guess.

I guess after however long on the strict keto, I'm going to try cyclic keto and see how that goes.

Oh, I'm not going to post my diet just yet, I don't want you all salivating all over your keyboards :drool:

Anyway, that's all for now. :)

12. HalfGorilla

Hmm, just been doing some reading about keto diets with no carb refeeds and how lifting heavy is bad while doing this. i.e. lots of catabolism... Hmmmm.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions on this?

#192 HalfGorilla, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  13. HalfGorilla

Weight today is 104.8kgs (231.04lbs) :eek: and BF% is 13.8%.

Hmmm I would say I might need to eat a bit more. This rate of loss could be a little concerning. According to the numbers, I have lost a bit of lean mass. My muscles don't appear to be shrinking though. Weird. I guess I could be losing fat in places the caliper doesn't know about, like my fat butt :)

Anyway, I think I might try to eat a bit more.

14. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

everything i've done has involved at least weekly high carb refeeds.

is there any benefit to NOT doing one? i don't get what the point of depleting glycogen and not refilling it is.

you might want to pm pete5 who mentioned he was doing keto and lifts hella weights. not sure if he's refeeding or what.

15. HalfGorilla

Yeah I think you are right. It's quite scarey how fast the weight is coming off right now. I think my plan is going to be up my calories during the week (still maintaining pretty much zero carbs), then carbs and protein on Saturday or Sunday.

What confuses me about Cyclic Keto, is that when you eat all those carbs, most of them will go to glycogen storage (yes?), so I'm wondering how does your body go back to ketosis after having such a large amount of glycogen available for the next few days?

Help me oh wise people of JSF!!! :) :D

16. HalfGorilla

Taken a couple of days ago. Just adding this so I can look back in several months time and exclaim "What a fatty!!!" :)

[​IMG]

17. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Damn man lookin good awesome progress.

18. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Looking big dude. :tucool:

19. HalfGorilla

What a very carby day... Here are a few details.

Total Carbs: 653g
    Total Protein: 232g
    Total Fat: 15g (ish)

Total calories: roughly 3675.

Right now I feel so friggen full it's not funny, and I haven't eaten for about 3 hours. I have to say that today was quite an experience. About half of those carbs came from white rice, which worked out to be about 400g of uncooked rice... That works out to about 1.2kg (2.65lbs) of cooked rice :eek:. The rest came from oats, fake maple syrup, and rice cakes.

I think next week I'll have my carb up on Sunday so it's closer to when my workouts start on Monday.

I'm looking forward to see what difference all this makes in the coming weeks.

One thing that really really surprised me is that I had no carb crashes after eating. I was wide awake and alert all day...

I learnt something today also. When glycogen enters your muscle, it can only be used by the muscle it's in and it never goes back into your blood stream. How cool is that! :)

20. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

You don't have to have one massive carb refeed each week, you can just structure more carbs around your workouts. If you are really interested in how ketosis works then get anything written by Lyle Mcdonald and read it. Bigger set people will deal better with strict ketosis diets than smaller set people from what I have seen, I had absolutely no fuzzies and felt awesome for 8 weeks of strict keto. Having a huge amount of carbs will temporarily slip you out of a ketosis state but you body will go back into it when the carbs are mostly out of your system. You have to remember that you do not suddenly just slip into ketosis it takes a couple of weeks for you body to make alterations and changes to deal with it.
    Good progress and results btw, slow and steady wins the race.:nod: