1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

262lb Gorilla on a Rampage

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by HalfGorilla, Dec 26, 2009.

1. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

Hi folks,

Hmm not too sure where to start with all of this. I've been somewhat reluctant to post a journal for quite some time, but I finally came to the realization that it would be a great way to share my progress with many people that are in the same boat, so what the hell...

I've always been built bigger than average, and always carried a substantial amount more fat than what would be considered healthy. I guess many of you know that feeling. Almost 4 years ago I discovered weight lifting. Of course, being a snot-nosed newbie who thought he knew everything, I actually knew nothing and did most things wrong. Especially in the diet department. Way too many carbs, way too little good protein and good fat. No wonder I had spent most of my life as a walking blob.

Somewhere around 2 years ago, for some reason, I decided to use everybody's favourite search engine to search for 'fat loss' instead of 'weight loss'. That somehow lead me to this site (and others such as t-nation.com and bodybuilding.com). So in these past 2 years I have certainly learnt alot, but am still learning all the time.

Right now I weigh in at a petite 262lbs (119kgs), but have no idea of BF%. I'm planning on getting a professional test done sometime with some calipers, or better still, flying to Sydney where a place called Body Composition Australia does DEXA scans (http://www.bodycomposition.com.au/). Unfortunately, the only places I have found that do these scans in my home town of Adelaide, do them for bone density.

My current goal is to cut down to single digit BF% while preserving as much muscle as I possibly can. Sounds easy enough :)

My current training plan is 5 sessions per week, Monday - Friday (1hr to 1hr 20m per session). It looks something like this:

Monday - Squats, Decline Situps, Hanging Leg Raises.
    Tuesday - Flat/Decline Bench, Seated Rows, Incline Dumbell Flyes.
    Wednesday - Curl variations (ez-bar, fat bar, dumbell), Tricep Pushdows with rope and bar.
    Thursday - Deadlifts, Rackpulls (plus sometimes some more Seated Rows)
    Friday - Military Presses, Dumbells Presses, Upright Rows with the fat bar, Lat Pulldowns.

I don't particularly count reps, but always keep them low and the weight heavy. Sometimes I go all out and see where my 1RM is for various exercises.

My current diet is below (where is says I eat Broccoli below, I normally eat other veges such as Cauil, Peas, Spinach - just haven't updated the spreadsheet yet):

[​IMG]

And here a pic form about a week ago at about 262lbs (119kgs)

[​IMG]

Not too sure what else to say at this point, but I'm sure I'll add more as time goes on.

Any questions, let me know.

Cheers,

:)

#1 HalfGorilla, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. HalfGorilla

Forgot to mention, I'm about 182cm tall (5' 11" ish).

As soon as I get my SLR back from a friend, the pic quality will go up :)

Biceps shot.

[​IMG]

3. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Biceps are lookin' huge, my friend!

Best wishes for meeting your fitness goals.:)

4. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

You've got a good base to work with. With consistently clean eating and heavy lifting, you're going to be a beast! :tu:

5. HalfGorilla

Thanks guys :)

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

damn halfgorilla......i think u already ARE a beast! :nod::nod::nod:

ur sitting in the best place possible..... big guy with lots of muscle and some fat to lose. you can eat a ton and just make sure it's pretty clean (ur current plan looks $) and that ur lifting heavy and getting in some conditioning.....and ur gonna look like a million bucks in no time. :dreamy:

7. HalfGorilla

Oh people here are just too nice :) Thanks heaps. I wish I started this journal years ago, but hey, better now than never I guess.

8. HalfGorilla

I hereby declare all Mondays from this day forth International Squat Day. That way, we all have something to look forward to each week. If you're slightly demented like me that is. :evil:

Thought I would see where my 1 rep max is today. Managed 140kgs (308lbs) reasonably easily. Then I thought I would try 150kgs (330lbs) and I got crushed! Not literally of course - thank f for spotter arms. My personal best is 165kgs (363lbs), but that was about 5 months ago. Not too sure what has happened since then. Still, it's something to keep working on.

Another goal I would like to achieve by the end of 2010 to to squat 200kgs (440lbs). Yep, it shall be done. :nod:

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Goodluck halfgorilla! You do have a fantastic base to start with. :nod:

Keep posting here to keep yourself accountable. :D

10. HalfGorilla

Thanks for stopping by. Yep, I will keep posting, but there is 100% no doubt in my mind that I will achieve my goals. It's just going to happen :)

11. HalfGorilla

How comitted are you to your fitness goals?

Me? Well I'm giving this New Years Eve a big up yours. I'm going to eat like I normally would, go to bed at my normal time, and wake up the next day feeling proud.

Lame? Maybe. But sometimes you need to see through all the bullshit to achieve what you want.

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

In the morning TV news shows tomorrow, they always show the fireworks from Sydney Australia, since it is already New Years in Australia when we wake up (in NY) the day before. I think the difference in time is 15 or 16 hours.

I agree.

13. haleygirl82

haleygirl82 Active Member

Hey stopping by to say good luck with your goals!!

Do you feel the vital green helps with energy like it says in some online reviews?

14. HalfGorilla

Thanks Haley.

Regarding the Vital Greens, I would say that no, it doesn't help me with energy. I think perhaps if your diet is far from optimal and you're deficient in some vitamins or minerals, then I could see how some people say it gives them 'energy'.

Personally, I take it for some extra fiber and overall bulk to my breakfast. Sometimes I really struggle to get it down after the eggs & oats. It's all very filling.

Also, as you're a vegan, perhaps check out the Pea protein made by the same company - http://www.vitalgreens.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=68

15. HalfGorilla

Yep, we see NY's celebrations too, but much later in the day obviously :)

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi HalfGorilla. As some other posters have already said you have a solid base and once you shed some of the fat obscuring it you're going to be a monster. I'm not implying that it's going to be easy or that it's going to happen next week, but if you follow the plan that you've outlined it's going to be your reality. Damn, you're already squatting 140kg and have done 165 so you know you have plently of muscle already.

Best wishes in meeting your goals.

17. HalfGorilla

Thanks. Yep, it's not going to be easy, but it will be done. I'm really looking forward to this challenge. I know once I'm in the groove then there will be no stopping me.

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:wave:
    Welcome HalfGorilla.
    I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that a DEXA scan, no matter what the purpose of the scan is, will measure the same thing, so I don't think it matters where you get it done. Unless you mean that you're not permitted to get it done in your home town due to access issues. I have no idea how expensive they are, but I have heard people report that a body fat percentage as measured by a DEXA scan can be significantly different than a body fat percentage as measured by calipers. In other words, you can't get a DEXA scan done, look at the numbers, then check your progress by comparing the numbers that you get from a caliper test several months down the road. I think the best way to keep track of your progress is to find a way that you can repeatedly measure the trend, and use that as your preferred measurement. Even if the method you choose is not the most accurate, it will be the most reliable. For this reason, I use only my scale. Even though I know the number is probably nowhere near my "real" body fat percentage, it's reliable in telling me about whether I'm moving in the right direction to lose fat mass instead of lean body mass.

19. HalfGorilla

Thanks for the welcome :)

I had a few emails back and forth with the guy who runs Body Composition Australia and he mentioned that the machine needed specific software to analyse body fat, so not all places with a DEXA machine could necessarily do the analysis required. The cost for the scan is $60 which I think is quite reasonable. Apparently the results get emailed to you by the end of the day of the scan.

I definitely understand what you are saying about finding a method I can use to do this repeatedly. I'm not overly sure where I would find someone with decent calliper skills. People have suggested personal trainers, but here in Australia you can become a PT in just a few weeks. A doctor perhaps? Not sure.

I have tried scales in the past without much luck. The results seem to vary too much from week to week. But I guess if it's the trend you are looking at then it shouldn't matter too much. I might go buy some and see how I go.

20. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think a lot of people on this site use the calipers themselves. If you're using them regularly and repeatedly, you could become an expert fairly quickly. What John was doing was using three different methods each time he measured and averaging them, so you could try that.

But unless you're going to get the DEXA scan every 3-4 months, I don't think you'd get very valuable information out of it. Although, you might feel more committed to the whole journey if you start with a number out of it that's measurable and changeable.

I think that for your purposes, a personal trainer would be an better person to do your caliper tests than a doctor, especially if you can find anyone who has ever helped anyone to compete in a bodybuilding competition. The precision you're looking at trying to get is probably more accurate that what a doctor may have been trained to do, because if a doctor is aware how to use calipers, it would be to assist him in assessing a patient's health, not his aesthetic appeal.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.