1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

25 pullups in a row.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mattback, May 1, 2007.

1. Rise

Rise Active Member

i was able to do 16, not bad for my first try!

2. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

:tu:

I can do 75lbs for a 3RM on chins (@ bw around 190), but I don't think I can pull 16 bw with full dead hang at the bottom.

3. mattback

mattback Active Member

btw i dont know what your guys' opinions are of kipping pullups

but to me they are kinda 'meh'.

i prefer trying to stay still moreso than swinging and using momentum to help me up.

4. Rgonzalez79

Rgonzalez79 Active Member

Is it better to dead hang at the bottom or go back up just before the dead hang? Keeping the tension on the muscles throughout the set.

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I prefer the dead hang (without totally relaxing the shoulders, as that's not healthy). It's a full pull, just like unloading a barbell on the floor for a deadlift is a full pull vs touch and go bounces.

Maybe 1/2 to a full second pause.

Otherwise, there's probably a tendency to cheat.

6. MWegner

MWegner Active Member

If you do kipping pull-ups faster than you would strict, there's a benefit (and that's kind of the whole point--speed). If your goal is to increase the power of your workout, as in actual work/time, they can be a good tool.

CrossFit people are huge on measuring things in power. Old thread on kipping pullups over there: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/8991.html

7. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

It's the same as jump shrugs and push press, except kipping pullups don't prepare you for an Olympic lift. They may help if you want to work some gymnastics or conditioning into a routine, for example, but I'll stick to dead hangs for strength and hypertrophy. The only advantage I see to it is to be able to do more pullups with the kip. The explanation about motor pathways by the 'coach' was a little weak, though. I just don't see what benefit this will give you besides being able to perform more "pullups" in a shorter amount of time.

8. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

You mean completely straightening the arms before each rep? I don't like to do that because when you completely straighten your arms, your biceps are at their weakest point....and your biceps are likely to give out much too soon IMO. I go just short of completely straightening my arms (I have a slight bend at the bottom).

9. mattback

mattback Active Member

Well, i can't do kipping pullups to save my ass anyway, so good old deadhangs are the way i roll! !! i tried to do kippings tonight and they just ended up hyperextending my back and straining my shoulders. bunch of bs, until i get it figured out i'm not doing it.

i could only do like ten tonight. i'm freakin busted. so i did some weighted ones, alternated between dips also, i don tknow. i am sore and worn out, but i wanted to go to the gym, so i just did a bunch of different crap.

probably not good, but who cares, i had fun and sweated it up.

10. Wherebob

Wherebob Active Member

Last time I tried pull-ups I did 21 in a row. That was a few years ago and probably couldn't do that now.

11. squatguy20

squatguy20 Active Member

This is how I do pullups (supinated),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkUjlIye4Jo

That's 15kg (33ibs) and 11 reps, messed up my grip on tenth rep and I apologize for that, but the bars not knurled so meh.

I'm confident I could do 25 with my bodyweight alone. But form may suffer.

I find the reason why most people get stuck with pullups is that when they increase the reps, they simultaneously decrease the length of the set in time. All they are really doing is speeding the reps up, which isn't as good for the muscles, since they dont get properly fatigued.

edit - yeah dip belts work incredibly well for weighted pullups and weighted belt squats.

#71 squatguy20, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Well, that's kind of the reason I think it's a bit more challenging to have a complete pull each rep, to slightly reduce bicep advantage on a chinup and move it more to the lats on the start of the rep. It's significantly more challenging to start each rep from a dead hang (not completely releasing the shoulder for shoulder health reasons).

That's what we've been calling a chinup. Pullups are generally considered the pronated version.

13. squatguy20

squatguy20 Active Member

I call em the other way round lol. I'm waiting till I plateau with supinated grip, then switching to pronated, and then back again and so on. When I start doing pronated grip I'll upload a video of that too. I used to prefer pronated grip, but the back of my forearm gets irritated by em, so I just use em to break through plateau's.

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

exrx.net seems to be strange and have the same hand position on pronated hand position on both chins and pullups :)

However, wikipedia shows pullups as overhand (pronated) and chins being supinated (underhand).

It's always confusing :)

15. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

Once I could do more than 10 chinups in a row, I added weight until 6 per set was a struggle. Pullups I still do at bodyweight, though I recently knotted up my right lat, so that's slowinng me down.

Weight belts are cheap on ebay. I got one for 25 bucks.

16. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

I've been struggling with pull ups. I can only do like 5 for my first set then only 3-4 for my 2nd and 3 sets. I do em once a week. Should I do them more to get stronger?

17. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Pretty much.

18. mattback

mattback Active Member

i'm up to about 16-17.

i've really slacked lately. but my school gym opens up next week, so things should get good.

19. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

so every other day? Every 3 days?

20. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Do them as part of your back day or full body. When you can do only a few, then they help a lot. Once you can do more, you can consider adding weight.

It's just one of the big compound exercises, so you want to work all of them to improve any one of them a lot.