1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

25 pullups in a row.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mattback, May 1, 2007.

1. Equalies

Equalies Active Member

I can barely manage 2 chinups, let alone 25 pullups, and last week I could do none, it was only because of this thread I went out and bought a bar and have been doing them every day.

2. symbo61

symbo61 Active Member

Benefits of pullups?

I've been doing assisted pullups once a week (3 sets of 12 at 25lbs assist) as part of an overall fitness routine, but am sensing from this thread there is a significant benefit to doing your bodyweight for a high number of reps.

Can anyone tell me what exact muscles this hits, how it helps strength and mass and what physical changes to expect from being damn good at it?

3. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

Damn I wish I had read this thread yesterday when I did back. Ah well, next week I'm going to start doing unassisted pullups and work my way up to doing them with the belt. I've noticed some gains with the assist machine but I think I'd progress more doing them unassisted.

Symbo- You'll notice your back start to get the V shape to and you should see your lats get bigger. If you have a low body fat % you should start to see some wings :)

4. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Starting out, you will probably be pulling with your biceps. Once you learn how to pull yourself up, you will develop your lats and upper back.

5. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    It hits a crapload of muscles, mainly targetting your Latissimus Dorsi but also recruiting delts, biceps, traps, rhomboids, teres major, abs, and spinal erectors.

The same way any resistance training helps strength and mass. It makes you stronger and can make your muscles grow.

You'll be very good at pulling yourself up onto things or pulling things down to you. :nod:

Your tailored jacket size will increase as your lats grow 'cause they're making the circumference under your armpits bigger.

You'll stimulate a ton of muscle fiber 'cause it's an enormous compound exercise for the upper-body.

It'll help your balance, drive, and posture in other lifts as well as in general.

Big lats will increase your upper-body size above the ribs, making you look broader at the top and narrower at the waist.

Doing them at your bodyweight is important IMHO 'cause there's a great deal of muscular coordination that goes into the exercise. Unassisted allow your central nervous system to improve in its firing of the ancillary muscle groups which lag behind with even a minor assist. In my experience, it is common to find someone who could do a dozen pullups with a minor assist but could barely eke out one unassisted.

Doing them for a high number (12+) of reps will improve muscular endurance but won't do a lot for hypertrophy or maximal strength.

6. Rise

Rise Active Member

this thread has made me decide to skip my lat pull downs today and go all out on pull ups. i'll report back with the number i can do in a row when i get back from the gym today!

7. symbo61

symbo61 Active Member

That's some great info!

I guess my next question is:

Since today is chest and shoulders should I avoid the pullups till back day or can they be done today?

8. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    How wide a grip do you guys take when doing pull-ups?

9. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd do them on whatever day you were doing your assisted pullups. If you're jonesing to give 'em a try then go right ahead. If you're on a bodypart split routine then it's unlikely you'll overtrain from throwing in a few sets of pullups.

10. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I vary my grip but usually go about a half-hand wider than shoulder width 'cause it feels the best.

11. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I vary mine, but generally avoid very wide grip pullups/chins due to shoulder concerns. I do slightly wider than shoulder grip most of the time, pulling to the chest at a bit of an angled upper body at the top.

I also do close grip pullups. I put the V handle cable attachment over the bar and pull, alternating pulling my head to each side of the bar.

12. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been doing them with a wide grip, same as a regular lat pulldown... might have to try narrower grip next time.

13. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Once you get proficient on pullups, you can also try doing rack chins, especially if severe DOMS is your thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-b4qOOWsE

You don't even need additional weight. Just slow your descent down to 4-5 seconds. :evil:

14. tennisball

Do you mean you grab the angled part on the lat pulldown? That's just as bad as a wide-grip pullup. With pulldowns, I occasionally take a narrow, palms-facing grip. But never wide-grip, ever.

15. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Comme ci:
    [​IMG]

exrx is confusing on this. As far as I can see, chins/pulls are the same in their little animations :confused:

16. mattback

mattback Active Member

my favorite ones to do are wide grip behind my head.. but people say those are bad...

but they feel soo good ??

i'm going to the gym in a little bit to do C2 and pullup stuff ;-)

my lats aren't tired at all.

17. tennisball

Huh, interesting. I think that's about as wide as I go. I don't ever hit the curved part. I've had some shoulder pain from those.

18. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Same here. I never use wide grip and as pictured is about as far as I go. I never use the curved part of the bar.

19. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have my grip right on the edge of the straight bit, just before the angle into the curve.

20. tennisball

It does make me think of gymnasts (back to that again) who can perform iron crosses- they train with a severe wide grip (as wide as possible), and they move in and out of that position. They obviously do tons of static holds...so it is possible to train that grip width and not have terrible shoulder issues? I assume it would take years of training...