1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

25 pullups in a row.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mattback, May 1, 2007.

1. mattback

mattback Active Member

Remember the last time i posted on here, i could barely do three.

Well i can do about 12-13 on one hang, can recover and do another 8 or so. and then after that recover and do about 5.. etc.

I want to get to 20-25 on one hang. is it time to start doing weighted ones?

I want to be able to do 20-25 in a row by june 1st. do you guys think that's possible???

I'm 5'9" and a half, and weigh ~148.

2. SpiderKing

SpiderKing Well-Known Member

When I was in high school the most I got to was 20 (not cheating), and the only way I got there was by doing as many as I could twice a week. I'd go up to the park Tuesdays and Thursdays and do as many pullups as I could, then chinups, then hands faced in, all diff types. It got to the point where my first set would be 18, 19, 20, etc.

I've never done weighted pullups, what's the best way of doing that? I've loaded a backpack up with weights before but there's gotta be a better way! I wonder if it's possible with a dip belt.

3. jaydfwtx

jaydfwtx Well-Known Member

I think that's how most people do them. :tu:

4. SpiderKing

Backpack or dip belt? Sorry. lol

5. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Back when my weight was around 140 -- a few years now -- I did the same in order to get my pull-up numbers. I would do 50 reps in as few sets as possible to start my workout. From my logs, over eight weeks my progression looked like:

11, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 7
    13, 10, 8, 7, 6, 6
    13, 9, 9, 7, 7, 7
    13, 9, 9, 8, 6, 5
    13, 11, 10, 9, 8
    14, 11, 10, 8, 7
    15, 12, 10, 7, 6
    16, 11, 9, 9, 6
    17, 12, 9, 7, 6

That's a difference of six pull-ups. :lol:

So, OP, I don't know if it is reasonable to basically double your number of pull-ups in a month. It won't hurt to try though. You might want to look through the articles on dragondoor.com as there are quite a few about improving pull-ups numbers, etc.

6. mattback

mattback Active Member

Yeah, i know it's pretty much impossible, but i'm going to try and do as much as i can.

last month i went from 3 --> 13 or so... i'm gonna do weighted ones twice a week and see how much that helps.

i just don't really know how to make a weight belt work with it.. but i'll pick up a weight belt tomorrow morning and make it work.

7. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

I just hold a dumbbell with my feet -- It is pretty easy to do.....

8. chicanerous

chicanerous Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Using a dip belt for pull-ups works exactly the same as it does for dips. The belt rests over the back of the waist and the chain holds plates hanging between your thighs in the front.

Check out: http://www.prowriststraps.com/dipping_belt?xtr=JohnStone

9. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

I have held up to a 50lb dumbell between my feet/ankles. Best way is to lodge it above the calves and cross the feet, then as soon as you lift off you can hang it somewhere on your lower leg. WHen finished, make sure the weight drops/is placed before your feet. I've done this many, many times and had it crush my toe only once, but now am more careful.

IMO, forget the weighted reps. I would do sets of bodyweight, and a lot of them. Do a set, maybe not to failure but pretty high, then wait a few minutes, then do another and repeat several times. You need lots of volume and I don't think weight will aid it.

I've had mine up to 16-17 as well. For me personally I think it would be VERY hard to hit 25 reps, certainly a month is an aggressive goal. I'd hammer the hell out of them every 2-3 days.

10. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Actually, I just hold the dumbbell on the tops of my feet....so that is another option.

I dunno....after I stopped doing bodyweight only, and added weight, my pullup strength went up alot. I think pullups should be treated like any other exercise for which one wants to increase strength. Vary the rep and set range, and the only way to really change rep range is to add weight.

11. SpiderKing

[​IMG]

Hmmm...supposed to be my off-week but I think I might try this tomorrow. I've been using the belt for dips the last month but for some reason I thought it might not work for pull-ups.

12. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

Don't forget about doing negatives...where you have a step which you step on to so that you start off at the top, then lower yourself real slow...5-10 seconds or as long as you can. Then, repeat.

I also improved my pullups the way chic did...right now i do-

A. 13,10,10,8,6,6
    B. With 25lbs - 8,8,7,6,6,6

I alternate every other workout.

13. SpiderKing

The dip belt worked perfectly. Dunno why I thought otherwise.

14. fishtanker

fishtanker Active Member

#14 fishtanker, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  15. mattback

mattback Active Member

haha another thread on pullups, started by me <3

hahaha

well, i got about 25 of them done yesterday

i did 50 today.

actually i did it as part of the entire '300' workout. first time i completed the entire thing.

holy crap it's hard.

16. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

How did you work up in your pull ups? I do them on the assist machine but it seems I'm stuck on the same weight every week. Maybe I should start doing them twice a week??

17. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Do them unassisted. And do singles if you have to.

18. mattback

mattback Active Member

Yeah, that's exactly what i had to do

19. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Have you thought of working up to a one-arm pullup? That might be a pretty impressive goal, and would have more strength aspects to it than 25 two-arm pullups. There are some progressions on dragondoor if you're interested. I might actually start one when I get up to 15 straight.

20. punkchip

punkchip Well-Known Member

How long of a rest would you suggest between each "set" (even if you can only do 1 per set).