1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

25 days and I've gone from 285 to 297.9 I need help.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Big_Simon, Jan 25, 2008.

1. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

If you're new to training you can certainly build muscle and lose fat at the same time (and even later on, it's possible but it gets increasingly more difficult). However, if you find yourself actually gaining weight, then something's usually wrong. I suppose under very good circumstances fat loss and muscle gain might cancel each other out in regard to your weight (but this is rare). Unless you're actively bulking, though, you don't really want the scale to go up.

2. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

Interesting ... but scientifically incorrect. The chemical structure of cholesterol is the same regardless of the food source, and it is treated by the body in the same manner as if it were from red meat versus eggs or other sources.

The HDL to which you refer is "High Density Lipoprotein", and in conjunction with LDL is the body's mechanism for metabolizing cholestrol. HDL is NOT present in foods, but rather in YOUR specific physiology. The ratios you quote are in great part genetically determined, but are influenced by diet. Don't confuse the cholesterol molecule with the body's mechanism for metabolizing it.

Google the two and you'll see that they are in fact very different chemical entities.

3. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, the actual HDL is not in the eggs, but eggs do help elevate the levels of HDL in the bloodstream. My point was that eggs are not bad and this world wastes a lot of yolks.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060506/food.asp

I do not believe that Cholestrol levels are largely genetic. My readings were totally reversed 8 years ago, with a total of 200 and my doctor threating to put me on a RX if it didn't come down. Diet and exercise play the largest role in Coronary Artery disease.

Kat.

4. kevin_in_ga

I agree that cholesterol levels are controlled more by diet than by genetics, but there is no question that genetics pre-disposes many people to high cholesterol if diet is not controlled.

Glad yours is low - while eating horribly over the past 10 years, I was lucky enough to keep my cholseterol numbers below 130 total as well (here I have to credit genetics rather than diet!).

Kevin

5. Tovsen

Tovsen Active Member

My diet is around 60% fat, 30% proteines and 10% or less carbs, most of it being fibre I get from vegetables. I expected I'd have high levels of cholesterol in my body, but I currently have 4,2. I'm eating no junk food, no alcohol, no candy or sodas - but isn't that almost a prerequesite for healthy living anyways?

The hysteria about saturated fats is in general erroneous, and saturated fats also contain various fatty acids that are good for you. Even bacon is all dandy if you actually live on a generally clean diet. Having a high intake of saturated fats does not make your diet "unclean".

If you haven't tried it yet, I would suggest a very low carb ketogenic diet for you as well. There is a lot of litterature around about it, and most people see good results on it. Atkins is probably the most known, but there are many others as well. The Anabolic / Metabolic Diet is one such.

It has worked wonders for me at least.

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Actually, genetics affect serum cholesterol quite a bit.

But cholesterol isn't necessarily a horrible thing in and of itself. It's used by the body to produce testosterone for instance. So you need some.

This is a very interesting read on saturated fats and cholesterol. Have we been sold an invalid theory that this stuff is horrible?

And my serum cholesterol numbers go down when I up my fat intake and reduce my carbs. I've seen the blood work prove it out.

7. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

Here we go, my diet can be very complicated and hard to explain. I have an autoimmune disease called Celiac. My body cannot breakdown the protien in Wheat, barley or Rye. As an additional intolerance, I cannot ingest soy, beans, or peanuts (anything in the Legume family). In some ways, it can be limiting, but my diet consists mainly of meats, fruits, vegetables and nuts anyway. Even if i wanted to add oatmeal, breads, crackers, cereals etc. I cannot because it makes me very ill.

I am at the peak of half marathon training and will tranisiton into soccer season and then train for a full marathon. I find on my higher milage weeks, I just cannot eat enough fruits and vegetables to restore my glycogen, so I add hot rice cereal or rice on longer run days. After runs and soccer games, I use a 4:1 carb: protien recovery drink, which accounts for a large part of my carbs.

I subscribe to a very natural approach to food. If it is not found in nature, my body probably doesn't need to ingest it. This includes "low fat" products, artificial sweetners, frankenfoods that have been genetically modified and anything that started it's existance on this earth in a lab.

You would probably enjoy reading the Paleo diet for athletes. It is very interesting and subscribes to the above theory.

Kat.

8. kevin_in_ga

zkat: I am familiar with Celiac (not personally, but through others we know). Glad you have found a way to manage it and keep healthy and in shape. Well done.

Looking at the varied diets people are posting, and the fact that all indicate that their serum cholestrol is low, again points to genetics as a significant factor in controlling this.

9. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

Just and update

Just an update. I'm now down 14.4 lbs since January 29th. I'm hoping to loose about 20lbs this month.

Diet is pretty hard and I'm doing insane amounts of cardio but it's working and I'm seeing results so I can't complain.

I've been checking every few days that I'm still in Ketosis which I have been since day 3 of my new plan every time I check I seem to be getting darker on the test strips which I guess is good.

I've had a blood workout done and will every month just to make sure everything is ok. At this pace I should still be able to hit my goal even with the entire month of January as a total loss.

Simon

10. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Congrats on the solid progress for February. Even if you didn't lose any weight in January, just look at it as building up your cardiovascular system.

11. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

Another update as of yesterday the 20th of February I'm down 20.8 lbs.:claphigh:

12. Apolon

Apolon Well-Known Member

Congrats man. As a fellow big guy I fee your pain. Lost 38 since about Thanksgiving myself and finally hitting a stride. Keep it up. :bb:

13. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

Since this is still on the first page I'll update it again. It's been 28 days since I started this thread in in that time here are my results. These results are of Feb 22nd I was away on business all last week and was unable to track my progress.

WEIGHT: 272.2 (Down 23.5 LBS)
    BODY FAT: 24.4 based on the Accu-Measure chart. It was 30+ in January.
    ARMS: 16.4" (Down .6")
    CALVES: 18" (Down 1")
    CHEST: 43.5 (Down 1.3")
    FOREARMS:12.75 (Down 1")
    HIPS: 48 (Down 1.75")
    THIGHS:27 (Down 2")
    WAIST:44.25 (Down 2.75")

I hope this can serve as some motivation.:)

14. cnjlakes

cnjlakes Active Member

That is awesome, Simon! I felt that I was doing well but you outdid my twofold! Good for you and motivation for me! I can tell that you have your heart and soul into this. You WILL reach your goals. :tu:

oh, and so will I!

15. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

A pound of muscle weighs a pound! Muscle is more dense than fat, so it take up less space or volume. That would mean that you can get smaller in size but weigh the same. He will gain some muscle but the biggest part of weight loss will be fat. If he actually had a weight gain, it isn't the relatively small amount of muscle, it would be fat.

Another interesting fact, fat has 17% water while muscle contains 72%! A good reason to drink water. :bb:

16. harry.michaels

harry.michaels Well-Known Member

One thing I'd suggest which may not have been pointed out is adjusting your approach constantly. Like for me, if a week passed and I'd gained weight instead of lost it, I'd have instantly switched things up. No waiting for a month hoping that things will turn around.

Also, be sure to monitor your body fat primarily and make all other observations after you've done that, because that's the real barometer of your progress, not weight.

Sorry if I've mentioned stuff that's already been covered.

17. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

That might work at your weight but when your up above 25% body fat your weight will swing + or - 5lbs in a week just from water retention. It took over a week for my body to adjust to the extra water reduced salt and sugar. My weight was all over the place for those two weeks.

18. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

Another update I reached my 30lb goal this morning. Fully clothed - shoes I weighed in at 268.7lbs.

So thats 30lbs in 35 days. No bad after my first months trouble.:jumping:

#38 Big_Simon, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  19. Rise

Rise Active Member

I think you had a typo & meant 268.7lbs... and so Congrats man! Keep up the good work!

20. stefanjagger

stefanjagger Active Member

Nicely done dude! :claplow:

I'm no expert but isn't 30lbs in 35 days too much to be losing? I thought the "safe" amount was 1-2lbs a week?

Great job