1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

25 days and I've gone from 285 to 297.9 I need help.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Big_Simon, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

I don't know what to do now other than to make drastic changes. BMI based 40:40:20 plan that I've been on for the past 25 days just isn't working. In fact it's got me going in the wrong direction. I've gained nearly 14lbs this month alone! I didn't gain that eating nothing but garbage all December!

I need some suggestions. I'm further away from my goal and have lost a month for nothing.

Pissed, angry discouraged you bet. Am I quitting no way.

For the record I'm trying to cut more than anything, I'll worry about building lean muscle when I'm finished cutting.

My months progress all calculations and food + exercises is listed in my journal along with pictures etc.

2. Rise

Rise Active Member

my only guess is that your servings are bigger than you think they are. I've done this myself and I know that it has lead to me gaining weight when I don't want to. The only thing I can suggest is you actually measure out what you are eating to match what you have listed in your caloric breakdown. It's one thing to come up with a list and eat the foods on it, its another thing to match the serving sizes.

Also, I'm assuming you don't do this but I'll ask anyway - are you drinking anything besides water? A lot of juice or soda?

3. Caruthias

Caruthias Well-Known Member

Cut calories to 2400.

Get rid of the bread, non-natural Peanut Butter, Ritz crackers, Triscuits and switch one banana for a grapefruit.

Start weighing yourself every week so that when you're doing damage to yourself (gaining weight) you find out in seven days, not twenty five.

That's where I would start, at least.

EDIT: Wait, are you using two different scales? That would make a huge difference - especially if you're stepping on one scale on an empty stomach in the morning and the other wearing clothes at the doctor's office later in the day.

Also, as for BMI, you're probably overestimating your activity factor by a bit. Play that part pretty conservatively, especially on a cut.

ONE LAST THING FOR THIS POST: I doubt very much you have gained 13 lbs of fat. Don't worry. I bet there's a lot of water in that number, as well as a bit of muscle. You clearly have dedication, and with patience and tweaking, you will get exactly where you want to be.

#3 Caruthias, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Spread your meals out. You're taking on 800 odd calories at a time, and your body is probably storing the excess from each individual meal as fat.

Try eating 6 meals of about 400 calories throughout the day.

5. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Here is best advice I can give you. think about it, before you throw out the baby with the bath water.

Eat 2100 calories a day for 6 weeks. 3 main meals and three snacks. meal about 450 calories. snack about 250.

two of main meals will be frozen dinners under 360 calories, healthy choice brand or other brand, pick those that you will like and give you a balance on your ratios. Why frozen meals? They are measured out to precise calories and food ratios. They are quick and easy to fix. you won't have to eat meals fixed for others. Serve with bread and butter, milk.

Breakfast 2 eggs any style, bowl of a whole grained or protein cereal with skim milk. with toast.

Mini meals : one serving of fruit, 100 calorie snack or 150 calorie yogurt.

Drink 120 ozs of cold water a day. Cut the water off about 9 PM.

For the most part everything is pre-prepared measured out for you. Let the companies do the calories. for 6 weeks it won't hurt you, even if it could. You will lose about 18-24 lbs.

You won't lose muscle because you should be concentrating on weight training. I recommend 3 full body workouts a week. Walk after evening meals, preferably outdoors Or if weather is bad do it in front of TV, in place. If you don't have a full body workout. Do this one.

Just relax and do it. you can't do any worse.

6. Schlep

Schlep Active Member

First of all, don't give up. I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes it's hard to remember that.

So a peanut butter, turkey, and egg sandwich on whole wheat? How is that? :p I would suggest replacing egg whites with Egg Beaters (or a knockoff), adding a quarter cup 2% milk cheese, some tomato and/or bell peppers, cutting the turkey serving in half, ditching the peanut butter, and adding in some fruit.

Basically you're starting off the day with no complex carbs outside of the bread. I can imagine you feel fairly lethargic in the mornings.

That's way too much tuna, and in order to down it all, you're using simple carbs in the crackers. Cut the tuna down to one of the small cans (4 oz?), replace the crackers with whole wheat bread, and add some lettuce and/or celery to the sandwich.

Cut the chicken breast down to 1 (4 oz). Great call on exchanging the iceberg out for spinach. Iceberg is the least nutritious lettuce out there. Other than the too large portion of chicken, this meal looks great. Don't be afraid to use a little olive oil or avocado to get some healthy fats in there.

Replace the apple sauce with yogurt. I would cut down to 1 occasional banana (maybe 3-4 times per week) if you're eating 2 every day, and replace it with some other fruit (apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, etc). I would only do one of those protein shakes per day.

I know a lot of this seems incidental, but you're making choices to meet the numbers you set out for yourself in the beginning, and I just don't feel like you need that much protein or carbs. You're also seriously neglecting vegetables, let alone a variety of vegetables that will give you the antioxidants and vitamins you need daily. I didn't see any dairy. Are you lactose intolerant? Also, speaking of vitamins, are you taking a multivitamin?

I agree and disagree with rtestes. I do think he's right that you need fewer calories, and that you need to eat more meals every day. I would try for 2500 to start, and see what happens over the next two weeks. With TV dinners, I disagree unless you cannot cook for yourself. If you do go the TV dinner route, I would suggest going with Kashi, because they use whole grains and tend to pack their foods with a little less salt and sugar than even stuff like Healthy Choice, but all of them tend to have a lot of salt.

Basically I think you need to forget 40/40/20 and focus more on balancing your diet. If you're lactose intolerant, you need to look at which vegetables you can eat to get calcium and compensate for the lack of protein by adding beans.

Good luck, man, and keep at it. :tu:

#6 Schlep, Jan 25, 2008
  7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Could you mean your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate? BMI is a measure of Body Mass Index. And it's pretty bogus if you ask me.

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Beans are not complete proteins (like nuts) and shouldn't be relied on for large parts of someone's protein consumption. They need to be combined with complete protein sources as well.

I look at it like this: Beans are a carb that come with some protein and a lot of fiber as a bonuses.

If you want a carb that has complete proteins (besides soy...but that's a whole 'nother discussion), look at quinoa.

9. FBChick

FBChick Active Member

Pretty agree with most of what Sclep posted.

Where is your fiber?? Also where is your water intake at?

10. Schlep

Schlep Active Member

No one said large parts. Milk and yogurt usually supply 10-25g of protein per day. Replacing that with beans (or nuts if you wish) is better than adding more meat to a diet that's already at the top end of meat consumption.

He listed his water intake in his journal. ~2.25 gallons a day I think.

#10 Schlep, Jan 25, 2008
  11. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I disagree. I agree he can back his serving sizes down on protein. I don't think he needs the typical 1g per lb ratio you hear a lot at his size. However, I don't think he should count on a lot of protein from beans. For one thing, good luck getting them all down with all the fiber :D

Beans are good, but not because of proteins.

12. Schlep

Schlep Active Member

One cooked cup of black beans has 15g of fiber and 15g of protein. Really good addition to any diet and a decent replacement for lactose intolerant, imo. I get what you're saying. I'm not recommending that most people use beans to meet their protein needs. As you said, they're incomplete proteins and require additional foods to form complete proteins for a healthy diet (I've had my share of discussions/debates with vegans). I'm recommending beans in place of milk for someone who is lactose intolerant (which the OP may or may not be) and who is also already getting enough or more than enough meat.

Also I agree in not needing 1g protein per pound of total weight. I do believe, though, that getting 1g per pound of lean mass is not a bad goal. That would put the OP at ~185g of protein per day (complete and incomplete).

#12 Schlep, Jan 25, 2008
  13. Fitness_Wannabee

Fitness_Wannabee Active Member

Schlep: can you tell me why one should prefer egg beaters over the whole natural egg with all it's good properties?

14. kevin_in_ga

kevin_in_ga Active Member

No yolks. Look at the nutritional info for egg whites (which is basically what you are getting with Egg Beaters or whatever brand equivalent you can buy more cheaply) versus whole eggs. Guess where all the fat and cholesterol reside?

15. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

This is a very common misconception. The cholesterol in eggs is HDL, which is the "good" cholestrol, in addition, the cholestrol in food is not readily absorbed and collected in the heart/arteries. I have eaten two eggs for breakfast almost everyday for two years, my last cholesterol reading was 77 HDL, 54 LDL for a total of 131. You can't blame it on genetics either-7 years ago when I was lazy and ate crap it was over 200.

You also cannot convince me that a man made product is superior to a natural product-ever.

Kat.

16. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

Sorry Big Simon, I did not mean to hijack your thread. I read your journals and I agree with most of the suggestions. Weigh your food, including vegetables. Rtestes has some solid advice if portion control is your problem. I have always had the best success with whole natural foods, the less processed the better. I noticed there is a lot of sodium and processed foods in your diet-both of which can make a person retain water.

A sample diet (keep in mind I am female, 130 lbs and training for a half marathon at the moment)

Breakfast: two eggs and banana or on long run day
    .5 cup rice cereal and 2 breakfast links

Lunch: 3.5 oz lean protien, 1 serv of vegetable, 1 serv of fruit

afternoon snack: 2 T. Cashew or Almond butter, fruit, cheese stick

Pre-work out: 1 slice bread with 2 oz. protien

Mid Work out: 1 Accel gel for long run days (over 8 miles)

Post work out: Endurox recovery shake 4:1 carb: protien

Dinner: 3.5 oz lean protien, 2 vegetables

The most important thing is that you don't give up. Stay with it and you will see results.

Kat.

17. med267

med267 Well-Known Member

How much activity during the day do you get by hours?

Sleep =
    In front of computer or TV =
    Driving =
    and so on.

Alot of people get way less activity than they think.

I presume that more & more people in this day and age burn the amount of calories that was in the old days was considered bed rest.

I am not saying that you do......but those calorie prediction charts I find to be way off....until you break down your average daily activity by the hour for a whole 24 hours.

Once you do that....you can get a pretty close estimation of how many calories you need to eat to lose. (If you are honest with yourself when coming up with the estimations.)

Those charts had me overeating for years until I learned the above method.

18. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

Very good advice. I started making really good progress when I figured my Base metabolic rate, sub. out 500 kcal from that number (for a pound a week) and then added back in calories burned from exercise. I use a heart rate monitor that is fairly accurate on calories burned.

19. Big_Simon

Big_Simon Active Member

Your probably correct I’m going to be getting a food scale this weekend I always thought a serving was what would fit in your hand. I think I’ll premeasured everything that I ‘m cooking to ensure that I stick to that 1 serving and not go over. No nothing other than water 6-8 liters per day depending on how much I work out.

I should have updated that last week I had removed the peanut butter Ritz and triscuits because I didn’t “need” them.
    The scale thing threw me off but I checked the calibration on my home scale and it was way off! I put a 25lb weight on it and it came to 21.6lbs I reset the calibration and it matched the scale at my Dr. Office.
    rtestes: A appreciate the information I’m going to be working on cutting the calories this weekend and coming up with a new program to try for 4-6 weeks.

I’ve been using egg beaters rather than real eggs, It just wasn’t listed on the program when I entered all this in and I never got back around to changing it.
    Vegetables have always been a short fall for me I eat my salad each day and that’s about it. I’m just not sure who to get more. I’m going to have work on that for sure I don’t have dairy, I’m not lactose intolerant I just don’t like it much in any form. I double up on my cal mag to substitute. I take my multi vitamin Truestar Mens with breakfast each day. I cook myself, usually once a week to get everything set up so I can quickly make what I need.

Fiber.... yeah not sure. Water intake is between 6-8 liters a day, up to 10 on cardio days. I’m sure thats enough, right?

I’m all about natural foods, as much as I can. I always believed that I felt worse after eating anything processed so I was trying to stay away from it when possible.
    Thanks for the info and good luck with your marathon, my cousin ran her first last October, Chicago.
    Sleep 5-6 hours
    In front of computer or TV = 5
    Driving =5
    I would have to agree that I probably over estimated my activity level but some days i can spend the entire day out on site others working behind a desk all day.
    Thanks.

Thanks for all the posts and suggestions I think portion control is going to be a big key for me along with dropping 1000 or so calories out of my current diet. Time will tell I’m not going to give up at all, I just going to work harder. All of your help has put me one step closer to my goal.

[FONT=&quot]Gotta run my flight has been called twice but I wanted to make sure I answered your posts.:claplow:[/FONT]

20. Akalabeth

Akalabeth Active Member

I always thought that muscle weighs more than fat, so judging by the scale isn't too accurate. I mean, if you just started cutting you are lifting weights, which will build muscle...

But than again, i'm a noobie myself. =)