1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

24 - working out constantly - gaining weight :o(

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by corinnedh, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

Mastover:
    That's a great post!

Burning fat and getting lean... here a good 35 minute routine that always beats my buttootie:

I find my best workouts are circuit/intervals with heavy weights.

I chose 3 exercises that are major muscle groups. Say: leg press, bicycle abs and push ups. I set the weight on the leg press so it feels like a warm-up at 16 reps. I got through a circuit, no rest until I can't do it anymore. I add weight (a plate for me) to the leg press each time. Each time, I go to failure on the legs. I go to failure each time on the toes on push ups, (then 10 more slow on my knees) and I do 100 bicycle abls. After 15 minutes, I am just about done.

Then I set up another circuit, say: lat pulls, jump rope and weighted walking lunges. I start with the lat pulls so 16 reps is a good warm up. I go up by 10 lbs, ever time through the circuit, and go to failure. My reps will decrease as my weight increases. I jump rope for 60 seconds, at 160rpms. Then I grab some 10 lbs dumbells and do 24 walking lunges. Return to start. After 15 minutes, I have probably had enough.

The one thing I have left out here is hamstrings, so I might add 4-5 sets at the end in a super set with more bicycle abs...

Anyway- you should be done in 35-40 minutes and feel bushed. If you didn't, your weights were too light.

If I do this workout 2 times per month, that's alot. (I do other equally tough stuff in between.) But, you could do it every other day for 2 weeks, and then change it up...

And, as I said, forget the number. As mastover says, you are putting on muscle. The fat will come off once you MAKE it come off by putting good amounts of muscle on.

That body fat scale you use is trash. Throw it away. I got underwater weighed at 17.5% and that thing said I had 24%. I had a little body fat loss contest with a friend, and got underwater weighed, and was 13.4% and that stupid machine said I was 22%. If you ask me, it will only make you feel bad.

Keep going. Listen to what mastover said- that was the greatest post I have read on here is a while...

2. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Aye. I have that Omron hand held thing. I ended up calling it "the laugh riot".

3. fitnesssarah

fitnesssarah Active Member

If you're doing everything correct, I would say that you're gaining muscle. Don't go by the numbers on the scale....trust me, the more weights I lift the higher the number goes up on my jeans and shirts!

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Yes, it might but a pound of muscle takes up 20% less space than a pound of fat and can burn up to 18 times as many calories as the fat in your BMR. So keep lifting the weight and watch the calories.

I hope the original poster from this December post started using heavier weights, because she wouldn't gain much muscle with light weights and high reps she was using.:cool:

5. feather319

feather319 Active Member

Any updates Corrinnedh? It has been a while since we last heard from you. I started cutting cardio down to 4 times per week and letting myself rest. I'm noticing that one, I'm not as tired as I always am and two, I haven't gained weight. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and that is maybe why I feel terrible all the time but sometimes I think I was over doing my workouts a bit even though they made feel better for the short term. I am still struggling with gaining as I get older. I guess that is part of being a woman. I'm up to 156 now and almost think it isn't worth it to struggle for perfection. How are things going on your end? Are you losing the weight you wanted to?

6. why_not_fandy

why_not_fandy Active Member

Weight loss can be thought of as simply a negative energy balance. In other words energy expenditure is greater than energy intake. Your diet and workout regimen seem sound. If you suspect your weight gains aren't muscle I suggest seeking out a registered dietician to discuss your diet. Be sure to mention your workout regimen. I would also suggest going to the clinic to have your bone content measured with a DEXA (Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry) machine. This will be important later on in life to catch osteoporosis early if you do begin to lose bone mass.
    I bring up bone mineral content because it is a serious risk for women performing high levels of exercise and eating poorly. If your curious about your risk Google "female athlete triad".

7. corinnedh

corinnedh Active Member

Hi All!
    I realize its been awhile since I've posted... but, I was trying to wait until I had some type of progress! LOL
    I must say that I have been feeling better though. I've been changing things constantly... while.. I've completely gotten rid of my scale (so, I don't have any new "numbers" to post) I can say that I am feeling much better than I was :)
    As others have posted previously... I've VERY carb sensitive. When I switched my diet to 3 eggs (+ 1/4C whites) for Breakfast, grilled chicken with 1 slice of cheese (generally motzerella) for lunch and some type of high protein (Salmon, Hamburger, Tuna whatever) and LARGE serving of Veggies i.e... green beans, broccoli for dinner... my world turned around quite quickly :)
    However, not a good balance... after eating like that for two weeks straight... I felt more drained than energized... So, i'm still working on the Balance of it all and seem to be getting good results.
    I'm strength training in the AM now 3 times per week.. at least 45 minutes per each session. And I do cardio every other day in the evening (HIIT/30 minutes)
    If anyone has an good advice about diet balance it would be appreciated. I seem to be an "all or nothing" kind of person.. and that's not helping me. LOL
    I need to have some sugars in my diet... maybe a bite size chocolate once a day.. or once every other day... if I have something else that's handy and fills the carb need I'm okay with that too... I've been leaning on South Beach meal replacement bars lately... which actually seem to work for me.. however, I feel that by the time I get through my cardio in the evening.. I'm starving. Do you guys have any good suggestions for easy snacks? Something that would take the "edge" off... without putting me way over for caloric intake (or for carbs for that matter)
    thanks all for the support and suggestions :)

8. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

Hi there, its is possible that you are still not getting enough calories, I can't tell from your meals as I don't know quantities. Eating more often may well help with energy levels eg 5 times a day and it may WELL be that you are'nt getting enough good fats (its good to up these when you lower your carbs this much, they are very filling too if you say you are starving) eg olive oil, almond butter, avocadoes, fish oil, flax oil etc

you could experiment also with some starchy or quick carbs + rpotein straight after wts and HIT workouts.....

I snack on almonds/walnuts/pecans quite a bit...

do you track you calories?

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's all very encouraging. :tucool:

I'm getting a sense that you have a much better idea about how your body functions best (which a lot of people will find is often quite different that the way an "average" body functions best)

Your diet and workout schedule sound pretty well balanced. :claplow:

I know what you mean about the low carb making you feel drained. But I'd be careful about adding sugar, because adding sugar eventually results in a blood sugar crash a couple of hours after ingesting. A better idea might be a more complex carb source, like sweet potatoes, oats, or brown rice. Or, alternately, a sugar/fat mix like a full fat yogurt with fruit.

Have you checked medically into any of those issues you mentioned earlier? It might be worthwhile to have your blood tested for possible hypoglycemia, diabetes, or other condition.

10. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

Hi Corrine, good to see you back posting. My thoughts on your current update are:

1. Great that you are putting more emphasis on lifting weights! (That is what you mean by strength training right? As opposed to a thera-band routine or something:confused:)

2. You need to increase your calories perhaps. What daily caloric intake have you determined that you need at your current activity level? In re-reading this entire thread it seems like you are not eating enough each day according to what you list for your meals. Eat 5-6 meals a day...

3. Cut your HIIT down to 18-20 minutes and make sure you are eating a small meal of 150-200 cals before hand.

11. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Corinnedh......yeah, you're going to be all about the diet basically.

In previous post you mention that you can see your ribs and your thigh bones stick out.

And you were training your butt off.

When I overtrain, as I have done at times, I find I am eating for my CNS not muscles.

By this I mean....after overtraining you reach a point where you are constantly "bagged'....and the first thought is to eat for energy.

So...the input of simple carbs climbs in order to satisfy that demand and calorie-tracking be damned.

But it doesn't work because "overtrained" is "overtrained" and the recovery rate is being outdone.

I don't see where you really need to go heavy on weight. There are some awesome circuit routines around....if you want to get lean,mean and shredded without bulking up too much.

Of course you will probably end up going heavier than your starting point.

Circuit routines with lots of reps at lighter weight burn a lot of carbs.

Don't go blaming the good ol' carb just yet.

Add complex carbs to your diet and be sure to eat some about an hour before your workout and don't forget your Whey shake right after( with some carb in it ).

I think it is imperative that you learn how to space protein intake out over the day.

Definitely you need some in the morning at brekky.

But nowadays the ideology is such that the two most important meals of the day are (1) preworkout and (2) postworkout.

But brekky is a biggy.

You do not want to go catabolic. And from some of your descriptions it sounds (although you are gaining weight) that is exactly what is happening in terms of muscle mass in previous posts.

12. Guillerr

Guillerr Active Member

Are you pregnant ?
    edit: uhm, it was an old thread.