1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

24 - working out constantly - gaining weight :o(

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by corinnedh, Oct 10, 2007.

1. corinnedh

corinnedh Active Member

Just thought I would give you all a quick status update ;o)
    Well, Monday (yesterday) started my "new ideas" and I've already seen some good progress :) Yesterday I started my day with my 40 minutes of cardio and I went all out (d@mn, I was tired ;o).. My daily meal plan consists of 2 AM boiled eggs (after cardio) Mid AM snack (1/2C. oatmeal, cinnamon, and a qtr of an apple diced)... Lunch (stone ground whole wheat wrap with cubed grilled chicken some dijon mustard) Mid day snack - about 10 almonds PM meal (oven roasted turkey/fish/or chicken and veggie(i.ei broccoli, green beans,califlower etc) and yam (with about a tsp. of butter... i know, i know... i should go without). Also did a total body sculpting workout for 45 min. in the PM.
    I added an HIIT cardio workout (treadmill) this AM as well as 20 min on the elliptical. I plan on using the same meal plan for the next few weeks. When I stepped on the scale this AM it says that I was 3lbs lighter then I was yesterday AM... So, that makes me happy ;)
    I've also started using Fitday to track my eating and progress...some of it seems a bit off... but, it makes it easy to see exactly what I'm eating :) So, all I need now are some more varied workouts (to hit my muscle groups in different ways) and some heavier dumbells (which the adjustable ones seem to be a bit out of my price range at the moment.. so, i'm going to just have to build my collection one set at a time ) :)
    thanks all for your help! Any other suggestions/input would be great!

2. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

I have Powerblocks for my home workouts. My husband is using them much more frequently than I do at the moment since he is doing P90X at home while I motor to the gym for my workouts, but they are a great investment. My set is adjustable from 2.5-50 lbs per dumbbell and I also have a barbell accessory to use with the blocks for squats, deads, and bench press. They are pricey at ~$300/pair, but you can occasionally find good deals on them if you keep an eye on your local Craigslist.

3. TheRyanator

TheRyanator Well-Known Member

:confused:

Perhaps I missed it as I skimmed most of the posts in this thread, but have you ruled out that you could be pregnant? :eek:

Hope all is well.

4. corinnedh

corinnedh Active Member

Yes :) I've rulled that out. (pregnancy)

And the saga continues. I'm up almost 15lbs at this point. I'm eating tons of protein and still doing workouts and I'm gaining weight... and at this point I'm convinced its not muscle. I can't figure out what the issue is. I went to my DR. and talked with her about it... she thought it was very strange as well to suddenly gain so much weight while being very health conscious.... So, she did some blood work and I expect to hear back in about two weeks.
    I'm just getting REALLY frustrated... I've added 3 HIIT workouts . My schedule basically consists of:
    5 days AM cardio for 40 minutes (3 HIIT workouts and 2 steady workouts) PM weight lifting.. 4 - 5 times a week
    Breakfast: steamed veggie (broccoli, califlower, green beans brussle sprouts etc)
    AM Snack: Almonds
    Lunch: Bed of spinach with grilled chicken and egg with some low fat low carb dressing
    Dinner: Fish (usually salmon) and some green veggie and half a potato...

I'm at a loss here... GRRR
    The only think I can think of is it has to be a health issue. What else could it be?

5. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Thyroid issues perhaps

6. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Im too lazy to read the entire thread, so sorry if this has been asked already. Do you bother to take a bodyfat measurements weekly? Do you track calories and follow a specific diet making tweaks when necessary? Are you just hopping on the scale every day and looking at your weight as your only guide? Something makes me think that you are not really doing enough planning. Also seems like you might be working out too much and perhaps not eating enough.

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Hi Corinnedh :)

I'm a bit confused. You said your diet contained a lot of protein, but the diet you listed out does not look high protein to me at all. How long have you been using this diet?

Can you give us some more detail on your workouts? What do you do in the gym? How intense are the HIIT sessions? Etc.

8. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

Are you eating before you are doing you HIIT sessions? How soon after?

#28 nksmith, Dec 1, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  9. feather319

feather319 Active Member

Corinnedh,

I really don't have much advise. I would love to give advise but I'm slowly gaining as well. To your question about 5 years with no cycle - yes it is true. Since 2002 I have had no period. Kinda sad but I think that I dropped to low in BF for too long. I'm getting back up there though.

For the past year and a half I'm slowly gaining. Since I first responded to this post I have gain another 12 pounds from out of the blue! I don't know why. I've decided to go back to 5:30 am cardio with weights at night. I want to lose so badly but it's almost like my body won't let me. My problem is just overeating I think - mainly at night.

I'm tracking all my food in fitday and writing journal entries just to keep track of my thoughts about how I feel and how I eat. I've come to the reality that I do binge eat and then forget about it and that's why I'm gaining. Tracking in fitday has really helped me understand where I am calorie wise thoughout the day.

Being a woman is hard. It is hard to cut, hard to lose, and hard to keep it off. I wish there was a magic weapon to losing weight and loving your body. I just don't want to keep gaining at this rate and be 200 pounds. Good luck to you. I look forward to reading your posts to see your progression and see how you do. :gl:

10. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Corinnedh:

I second Chris. You're eating extremely little, and next to no protein. It's possible that your body is hoarding.

Please post up more details! Is that what you eat every day? What are your goals?

11. corinnedh

corinnedh Active Member

Okay... I know you guys are going to get really frustrated when I say this .... but... I'm changing things up. LOL
    I've been trying to evaluate what had changed when I started gaining weight... I can only come up with 3 things. My B.C., I added 4-5 weight training workouts to my schedule, and football season.... So, all that being said. I think that those of you who said I'm probably "over doing it" are right. The more workouts I add in... the more I gain. I think that my body and efficiently handle one workout per day. Its probably b/c I go so "hard core" with my cardio workouts... When I'm done with cardio... my face is all flushed and my leg muscles are twitching ... my body has had enough.
    Not to mention, it seems like when I added weight training into my schedule... my digestive system just went from bad to worse. I already have issues with that... and then the weight training seemed to compile it. So... I'm taking a break from weight training until I can collaborate some more with my Dr. and see if we can get to the bottom of the "issues"... it just seems like my body isn't efficiently using the food that I eat. I know some of you have expressed that you think I may not be eating enough... or not enough protein... but, it seems like the more I tried to add in... the more.. poofy (for lack of a better word) I felt. I truely feel like I'm overeating. It doesn't seem like my body ever says its Hungry anymore. I'm just eating b/c its "on the schedule"... so, I'm going to try doing something different....
    Cardio workouts only for a couple weeks (3 Hiit and 2 steady... each one for 40 mins) First thing in the AM (about 5:25)
    Breakfast at 8:30 - Bowl of total raisin bran and skim milk
    Lunch 12 - 1 - spinach salad with the eggs and grilled chicken
    Dinner: fish, chicken, lean meat etc with a veggie and small carb portion
    Any time I get hungry in between I'll snack on a few almonds or some steamed green veggie.

I'm at a loss at this point... I feel like I need to start tuning in to my body to get back on the right track.
    I realize I need to start taking actual B.F. measurements (although, this time I can tell i'm gaining fat... I can see it on my frame... eh) I'm just trying to gain a toned athletic look. I want to keep my girlie side... but w/o the "extra". does that make sense?

12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I take it you mean birth control? What does football season have to do with this? :confused:

You may be overdoing workout frequency, but I don't think it's quite so simple an equation.

Conferring with your doctor sounds like an excellent idea.

What is your total daily caloric intake? A lot of us never feel hungry. We eat on a regular schedule. Some nutritionists have put forth the idea that if you're feeling hungry, your body has already released chemical messengers indicating "starvation" which affects how the body receives food.

Well, that's good, because unless you take synthetic hormones, you're not going to look like a man.

You can't tone your body by doing cardio. Actually, you can't tone your body at all. Shape comes from fat, and muscle. Muscle isn't toned or untoned. Either it exists, or it wastes away. If you want shapely arms, you need to build your shoulders, triceps, and biceps.

The benefits of weight-training are legion. Bone density, cardiovascular health, increased fat burning, increased muscle mass which increases fat burning further, etc. But you can certainly build muscle mass doing body-weight exercises, as well. :nod:

I think chatting with your doctor is a great idea, but I also think your workout regime will not support your goals. And I remain fairly concerned about how little you seem to be eating. :gl:

13. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Do you have an appointment to get some bloodwork done?

It could be that you're extremely sensitive to carbohydrates. Have you tried adding protein and fats? An extra helping of salmon, or some flax oil would be good options for you. You could also try a large vegetable omelette in the morning instead of the cereal and milk.

14. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

It also sounds like you're doing your HIIT sessions fasted, and then waiting 2-3 hours to eat. If you're not eating beforehand, and the rest of your diet isn't in check, it is possible that your metabolism is slowing down due to muscle loss.

I would make sure you are having something to eat before and after doing intense cardio. Dropping your lifting program is one thing, but coupling it with fasted interval training is a sure-fire way losing any muscle you've worked so hard to preserve. Be careful!! :)

15. Gordo

Gordo Well-Known Member

Without numbers, none of this means much.....It could be a VERY Big bowl of raisin bran and several cups of skim milk.
    You really need to weigh and measure for a week or 2, plug it into www.nutridiary.com and get a sense of the true number that you are gaining weight on.
    "small carb portion" is not a measure of anything (in your eyes that might represent a 1/2 cup when in reality it's 2 cups worth). "Small carb portion" of what exactly?
    The spinach salad could have 4 whole eggs in it. On paper it doesn't "sound" like much, but who really knows without seeing you in action.
    Snacking on almonds and green veggies....how much? Do you pre-weigh/measure the snack so that you have it accounted for or do you just scoop handfuls when the mood hits?

Part of the problem is that many times we fail to be honest with ourselves because we don't want to know the truth. The truth is rather depressing sometimes.

I'd say start tracking for 2 weeks and then don't track any more (unless you want to). At least get a sense of the hard numbers.

Your perceived weight gain. You use measurements like "about", which suggests you're somewhat guessing. Do you actually log your weight? If you did you could plot a graph (mind you, you can do all that in nutirdiary and fitday anyway). The results might surprise you after a couple of weeks (ie: maybe you're not gaining at all).

Weight fluctuates hourly sometimes. If you daily measure, don't pay any attention to the numbers just record and get your average for the week and compare that to last weeks average. Daily numbers mean absolutely nothing but are important for studying the trend.

#35 Gordo, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  16. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

This thread is just plain confusing and gives me a massive headache. I think you need to start from square one and develop a proper plan/workout program with weekly monitoring. You are probably as jumbled up as this thread has become...

17. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

Corinnedh: Great work!

First of all, let go of the number. I am 5'5" (and 1/2) and I can be completely shreaded at 132. (That's 2 1/2- 3 inches and 10 lbs. difference- just about right) So, your weight can mean (almost) nothing. When you say you put on 8 lbs, I think: bone density and muscle weight. You need to put on that muscle mass to increase your metabolism. That muscle will, in the future, burn off the fat that now is overlying it.

Secondly: Keep progeessing, as Gordo says. Add weight, or change up exercises on a regular basis. I do a different workout every single time I work out. I may do some basics the same pretty frequently, but I group them differently or go heavy or light/combine them differently every time. The secret is to shock your body. You know you've shocked it if you are sore. I have been weight training since I was 12- that's 28 years, and I still get at least a little sore almost every time I work out.

Third: focus on major muscle group work if you want to get the most bang for your buck. Women benefit alot from: abs and core work, leg press, leg extensions, hamstring curls and walking lunges (with weights in hands?). Don't be afraid to lift alot with your legs. I leg press up to 800 lbs. on a decline leg press sometimes, and I still look great in a bathing suit- very femanine. (Everyone's genetics ar different, I admit). Don't be afraid, either, to lift heavier weights with your upper body: if you do circuit and interval training, you should be fine.

Fourth: Fruit for breakfast, yogurt for lunch and a turkey sandwich for dinner? Not enough protein AT ALL. I would eat protein with every meal. Fruit has no protein. Add 2 hard boiled egg whites, and decrease the fruit a little. Yogurt has very little protein (I'd eat cottage cheese instead- more protein, no sugar). The Turkey Sandwhich is fine. I don't think you are eating too many calories. If I ate what you are eating, I would be starving!

I am glad you have joined the land of the weight lifters. Welcome home. Don't lose heart. Give your body a chance to burn off that fat, and you will love what you find underneath, I promise...

Dr. Jen
    www.girlslax.org

18. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Here's an article which may tie into what's being discussed here:

Women Should Lift—and Heavily
    To create curves, tighten up, and lose inches
    By
    Jillian Coleman

So you have a client who has been going to the same fitness center for years. And through the years , she and her buddies there have talked about why their bodies are the exact same shape they were when they all 1st met: “I’ve been coming to the &*^%$ gym like, forever, and I have not lost a &**&^ pound!” And somewhere along the way, the topic of “bulking up” has surfaced: “If I just look at weight, I put on muscle! That’s why I do tons of cardio. But dang, my thighs are still fat!”
    These women have never talked about how to change body fat percentage, how to lose inches or how to increase the intensity of that popular barbell class.
    So how are you, the new (or inexperienced) trainer, going to deliver results and keep this trainee from spinning her wheels? The trick to losing inches, strengthening bones, increasing metabolic rate and turning your trainee into fat-burning machine is simple: Lift Heavy!

Is there such a thing as “bulking up?”
    What about the much feared bulking up? Is there such a thing? Yes, but it’s not from putting on excess muscle mass. You’ve probably heard plenty from your female trainees that one of their biggest concerns is the dread of bulking up, as they insist that their legs or shoulders respond quickly to heavy weights, that they put on size easily with heavy resistance. (I wonder what all those skinny men, who eat and eat and lift and lift and still can’t put on size, would think of these claims!).
    The truth is that bulking up does not happen to women unless there is no effort applied to fat burning. The idea is to lift heavy and get out of your comfort zone (i.e. Within 10-12 reps the weight should become too heavy to lift), so that your body responds by breaking down the muscle tissue and building you back up stronger and leaner.
    When gym-goers refer to bulking up, what he or she is really describing is the larger appearance that exists when the same amount of fat remains on top of this newly developed muscle.
    The best scenario is to burn fat, build muscle, lose inches, and reveal a more sculpted muscle belly and actually overall smaller limbs. However, it is a unique situation because the only way to get the fat off is to lift weights that challenge the muscles to grow and increase the body’s amount of lean body mass. Consider that a pound of muscle burns 30-50 calories at rest each day, where as a pound of fat burns only 2-5 calories per day. This clearly shows that the more lean muscle mass a person has, the more calories burned at rest.
    In other words, with each pound of muscle mass acquired, the trainee increases metabolism and burns more calories just sitting at a desk. On top of the calorie comparison is the fact that muscle takes up considerably less space than fat; thus, losing fat while gaining muscle causes an overall loss in inches. The benefit of increased muscle is even greater during a workout. The more lean muscle mass a trainee has, the more calories are toasted off during the workout.
    For example, take 2 150 lbs. women, same-age women, one with 20% body fat and the other with 40%. The woman with less body fat will burn a lot more calories if the 2 engage in the same workout.
    Lifting Heavy Weights is the #1 way to change the shape of the body
    Everyone knows that cardio queen at the gym: on the elliptical machine for hours or doing step class after cycle class after kick box class. Chances are this person is thin. But, she probably doesn’t look athletic, toned, or tight. In fact, it’s not uncommon see a woman going at it on the cardio equipment who initially looks strikingly thin. But if you view her for a few moments longer, you’ll notice that her midsection (which is often bare) is soft and has a spread-like or dough-like quality about it; ‘round and ‘round her pipe cleaner legs go, and you can bet she has trouble carrying heavy grocery bags.
    This “thin” woman hardly touches the weights. She’s 20-something and her youth protect her from being blubbery. But if she continues to shy away from serious weight lifting, this fear will eventually catch up to her. By age 35, she’ll be taking clothes off the size 12 or 14 rack.
    The thing that happens when someone does a lot of cardiovascular activity s essentially the same thing that happens when he or she lifts lighter weights; using a lot of reps. They get smaller or larger but always have the same exact frame. In other words, their curves, or lack there of, are the same. Jog all you want, but only heavy resistance training can change the shape of the body to create a loss in inches and a more balanced physique.
    How to lose the fat on top of the muscle
    In order to burn fat while maintaining muscle mass, it’s important to use exercises that affect the hormonal situation in the body. The amount of weight lifted, or more specifically, the volume of weight lifted, is directly correlated to the amount of testosterone released by the body. And the amount of testosterone released by the body is directly correlated to the amount of fat the body will burn.
    Women should not be afraid of testosterone. In fact, even when women are able to create higher levels of testosterone, they will never have enough to create a masculine look without the help of anabolic (“banned substances”) supplementation, not to mention a lot of time in the gym and at the protein shake blender.
    The key to changing the hormonal situation to become an efficient fat-burner is to achieve both mechanical and metabolic failure in a workout. Mechanical failure occurs when the weight lifted simply becomes too heavy to be lifted anymore and assistance is needed. Metabolic failure occurs when trainees experience that burning sensation in their muscles.
    Efficient weight-lifting should yield one or both of these phenomena, and this is the most important time to squeeze out one or two more reps. Reaching the point of failure ensures the release of testosterone and human growth hormone to maximize fat-burning both during the workout and deep into the hours following.

How to maximize Fat-Burning
    An important point to remember is that everyone has a different level of fitness. To ascertain the correct amount of intensity and the correct amount of rest, use the talk test. During working sets, an individual should be out of breath and speech should be labored. Once the set is over, wait 1-2 minutes (but no more!) before beginning the next set or exercise.
    Make the trainee truly reaches failure, in order to “earn” a 1-2 min rest. The last few reps should be a heartfelt struggle. In fact, in a 6 rep max set, the struggle is evident from the 1st rep. In an 8 rep max set, struggle may not be evident in the 1st or 2nd rep, but come in the 3rd or 4th rep, the trainee clearly begins to fight.
    Sometimes, as a trainer, it’s hard to discern the point at which a trainee is lifting heavily enough to get real results. Pulling out a weight that generates failure within 8-12 reps is a good idea here. This part may take some trial and error, but I would always recommend choosing a weight heavier than lighter. Only 4 or 5 reps may be the result of the 1st try, but at least failure is reached and the muscles are being forced to react. For the 2nd set, decrease the weight only slightly, and still try to induce failure by rep 7 or 8. For the final set, keep the weight the same or decrease it only slightly to induce failure at rep 9 or 10, even if “loose” form is necessary.
    Both trainers and clients probably agree that safety is the number one priority while resistance training. However, in the name of heavy weight-lifting to generate results, remember that loose form here and there is perfectly fine and in fact, recommended in the last rep or two for the sake of the workout. (Loose form is that which, for the most part, continues to adhere to proper biomechanics, but there’s a slight component of cheating --- but not to the extent that the trainee is risking injury or defeating the purpose).
    If someone is skilled or has a good amount of experience weight-lifting, use this technique to generate the burn and get a little deeper into failure mode. However, remember that if someone is extremely frail or a beginner, he or she should ease into resistance training and steer clear of cheat reps or swinging weight until more comfortable with the movements.
    Additional Benefits to heavy resistance training
    Everyone has heard that resistance training helps to increase bone density or maintain bone health once a person reaches the mid 30’s. What most fitness professionals forget is that the benefits for bone increase almost linearly with the amount of weight lifted.
    Most trainers will shy away from using heavier weights with older adults and those with existing injuries. A good trainer will put safety first, but heavy weights can be used safely and effectively I even the frailest populations, and are the absolute best way to stimulate bone growth. Both the fit and frail should be lifting heavy and reaping the benefits.
    Additional muscle development increases neural function including balance and coordination, along with core development and even flexibility. Achieving failure safely in a workout will prime the nervous system and provide more functional advantage than using balance boards and other functional devices. After all, a stronger and more flexible leg is automatically more stable.
    Some of the best exercises to profit in this way include clean presses, heavy barbell squats, or barbell push-presses. Experiment with hybrid movements that challenge both the upper and lower body together such as a squat and press or a lunge curl and press. These types of exercise provide superior benefit over the current trend of using single-joint movements coupled with a balance board.
    As a personal trainer, I have seen first hand the incredible balance and coordination advances, plus improvement in fat-burning, noticeable inches lost and a tighter, shapelier and leaner physique achieved through lifting heavy weights.

19. zkat

zkat Well-Known Member

Hope you are still checking this thread from time to time. I don't come by often, but do lurk every once in a while.

I know exactly how you feel. Last spring I was playing 2 competitive soccer games a week, running 2 additional days a week and lifting 3 days a week and my calories were in the 1500 range. (I weigh everything, and was very honest with my calorie count) I gained an addtional 5 pounds from Feb-May. In May I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, also known as Autoimmune thyroid disease. My thyroid was not working and my metabalism shut down. It has taken 7 months on medicine, busting my butt and I have finally got the 5 pounds off. I still cannot get the 5 from the year before off. It may be worth a shot. It is a simple blood test to diagnose and most people don't realize the symptoms until after they treat it. Check out Stopthethyroidmadness.com for symptoms.

I hope this helps. I know your frustation level-trust me.

Kat.