1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

225lb barbell Backsquat club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by optheta, May 18, 2008.

1. Themadstork

Themadstork Active Member

Hoping to increase my one rep max from its current 237# to 300# by next spring. Sounds like a long time, but I tend to make slow gains due to age and ectomorphism.
    PlainGreyT, regarding the weaker quads, it's not because I squat the way I do; I squat this way BECAUSE I have weak quads. I need to start doing front squats to work on the quads.
    A 225 front squat would be a good goal for me, also.

2. vanDutton

vanDutton Active Member

What if I don't have access to just a standard barbell backsquat? I have the powertec WB-LS system. I did 2x8 205 last week. I'm going for 225 today, after two or three warm-up sets. Will that count for this challenge?

3. IanG

IanG Active Member

I am resurrecting this thread to help track my squat.
    The past year I have been trying to be honest with all aspects of my life and lifting was is one area where I want to be totaly accountable.

I am strong, but in such a inbalanced way I have come to realise I need to step up and start doing things right, take squatting for instance.

I can leg press nearly 900 lbs but under a bar my form is so shocking its untrue.

Simply its been a case of avoiding the technically difficult exercises over maxing out on machines and squat was the last exercise that I needed to start again on.

Tonight, lots of warm-up and then
    5 x 5 @ 90 lbs
    The weight felt so light I almost straight away rammed on some more weight but one of the guys at the gym who plainly does squat gave me some good pointers and I stayed on the light weight and worked on form and depth.

Once a week I will squat and see how I get on.

4. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

That's the right approach Ian. I've learned that form is your friend. Learn good form, develop the muscle memory that goes with it, and then you'll be able to add the weight on as you go.

5. IanG

IanG Active Member

Thanks Mauidude for the feedback.

Reading alot on this and as well as squatting once a week concentrating on form will also include another session of mobility training for the hip and ankle.

6. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

Good luck with this, I'm on my way to this weight as well. You probably know the site, but just in case, stronglifts.com has a lot of great squat guidance including stretches, mobilization exercises, and form tips/videos. The program is heavily squat-oriented so lots of knowledge there from what I can tell.

7. angell

angell Active Member

Hi guys:)

I'm going to be dedicated to joining this club this year. At the moment I can do about 5x143 lbs squats. Anyone that have good tips about common beginners mistakes? I have been stuck at the same weight for quite some time now, but my DL is improving rapidly (225 lbs now).

8. IanG

IanG Active Member

Still pursuing this, I work on squat once a week and not trying to worry about weight just yet.
    Each week work on using strictest form with legs going just below parrallel
    Chest up, back not sagging and working at sitting into the 'hole' rather than bending forward with knees bent.
    Last night did 9 sets of 4-5 reps with weight upto 132 lbs
    Each set was a test on form and making sure that knees did not buckle.
    On the whole pretty happy with each rep and the front of legs and backside were only the areas of my body that felt it, not lower back which I have always been worried about. Will start slowly building up weight from next week.

9. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

^ yup, keep at it!

Slow and steady wins the race. Once in a while I like to do 2x15 of a lighter wieght just because I seem to feel it in my glutes more(obviously form always crumbles when lifting at or near your max, obviously try to keep form as tight as you can but things happen). But lifting 75-80% of your max for high reps, this seems to give me a nice boost. I'll do it once every 2-3 weeks.

Also, if women aren't pinching your nice round heiny when lifting around 225. You're not going deep enough!! :p:tucool:

#29 Dizmal, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  10. AndyL

AndyL Active Member

I read this thread on Friday just before I headed out for my workout :)

I've been having a hard time with squats lately, had to go down in volume etc. etc. and the past week I've only been doing warmups to see if iI can get back on track the coming week. Yes, well on Friday when I was doing my usual warmup I decided to do one last "warmup" rep... at 102.5kg (226lbs), also setting my 1RM :tu:

11. Bur

Bur Active Member

Resurrecting threads all over everywhere

Guess I'll go for this one too, since I can't get back over my previous PR without going through 225. May keep 225 front squat as a separate goal. Did 125x5x5 good and deep prettily easily this afternoon.:cool:

12. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

i need to get back in this as well.
    I totally destroyed my right knee last year and I am now about 5 months out from my second surgery...first surgery was a total reconstruction in August and the second was a scope-job in October.

I have recently been cleared to do more than just BW squats....and so here is my first entry from last Saturday's session:

5 sets of 10 reps with the bar. (45)

This may take me all year (or more), but I need to get a reasonable squat back in order to call myself fully recovered....and squats is going to be a massive part of me getting back the functionality that I want.

My previous PR was 345 a few years back....but I am in a whole new phase of life with this reconstructed knee....so I an looking to redo these challenges as a part of my rehab and getting back to where I want to be....I'll probably get back in the 350 deadlift club as well at some point.

13. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

Rehab continues....got two sets of 5 with 95 pounds last night.

14. Bur

Bur Active Member

I'm using the Stronglifts 5x5 and add 5# per workout from an empty bar. Started at 45# working on depth and form on January 31st, tomorrow is 5x5 at 170. And my max was below yours, so you might get away adding 10#. Hope to get 225 or near it when I complete first 10 weeks and max in three weeks.

15. Bur

Bur Active Member

Hope is a city in Arkansas, I GOT 235 today as part of 10 week check of the powerlifts! On to 300 and a 1000 pound series.

Bur
    creationfitness.blogspot.com

16. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Count me in :)

Squatted 105 kg today, thats 231 lbs :tucool:

17. jmike

jmike Active Member

in on this one

recently did 1x275

18. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I am currently lifting 160 lbs for 2 sets of 8 reps. Should I go for it?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

19. jmike

jmike Active Member

i would try 195 for a set of 3-5 to make sure you're comfortable with it and if it feels good, shoot for 225 the week later

20. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

You are definitely close... go for it!