1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

225 Barbell Bench club

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by user786, Feb 3, 2008.

1. user786

user786 Active Member

I know for a lot of you veterans 225 is not a lot but its a weight i would like to hit.
    its not gonna be my primary focus this year as i am aiming for the deadlift and squat challenges ..But it would be the cherry on the cake if i can achieve it!

Ok anyone feel free to join in ..jot down your current best

im at 77.5kg(170) x 1 at moment

ill update as i get better

2. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

This sounds interesting. It's not a focus for me right now. But I'm pretty sure I'll still see gains while I'm working out. I'm in.

Not sure what my max is but this was my last workout"

Wide Grip Bench: 10x3 145lbs

I'll probably be checking it in two weeks though.

3. woodan

woodan Active Member

This is much nearer my level than the 350lb challenge. However, it's still way over what I can actually lift. I just worked out my new plan that I intend to follow after I finish this cut which only goes up to 71.5kg x 5. I might get to 100kg late next year. :eek:

4. user786

user786 Active Member

Welcome aboard Nowhereman.
    Woodan me and u were quite close when bulking if i remember correctly:)
    since i am cutting also now and so are you ..nothing like a bit of healthy competition:lol:..but as i said this wont be the focus of my training deads and squats barbell rows...but hopefully increasing in them will help.

out of interest what program u going onto next?

5. woodan

woodan Active Member

I'm going to do the 5x5 I started. I only did less than 4 weeks on it before swapping to the breathing squat program last time. I was a bit all over the place around that time. I think I did starting strength for about 4 weeks, then ABBH for a few weeks until I stuck with the breathing squat program for the remainder of the bulk. This time I'm going to see it out for 12 weeks at least. I programmed by spreadsheet up 16 weeks just incase I'm still making gains. If that is the case based on some very rough numbers I've put in for now I'd be DLing almost 5x150, squatting 5x115 and benching 5x77. In a perfect world of course...

I just tested my theoretical bench max as I seemed to have bags of energy after my workout today. I managed 10x50 which gives me a 1rm of 67 which isn't that far off my old actual 1rm. So not bad after 2 months of calorie deficit and no creatine. I plan to start the strength training at the begining of march. I can't wait. I want to start now but I'm determined to finish of this cut first and get my BF% where I want it before I do anything else.

Have you started your cut already? How's it going so far?

6. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I hit 215 a month or so ago, I don't think I can quite get 225 yet. So, ten pounds to go.

7. woodan

woodan Active Member

And only 16... I'm such a weed.:doh:

8. user786

user786 Active Member

hi
    yes. so far day 14 ..ive been strict 4 days a week (2200cals) and then cheating (upto 4000 kcals)3 days a aweek..ive down 5lbs ...which im happy with ...another 13 to go...im gonna slowly start eliminating these cheat days as i progress.(as the weight loss stalls)
    heres the link if u get a chance

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=41038

if i am done by march i might be able to join you on that rippletoe program..as iv never really followed a program..its been like 5 months now of various systems..i just make sure i get in my leg and back days (especially deads /rows and squats) everything else has been secondary.

9. danboback

danboback Well-Known Member

I'm in!

Right now I'm at 165lbsx8 is as much as I've lifted, so 225 is a pretty considerable gain. But there is nothing gonna stop me from trying.

10. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I have a pretty ectomorphic physique and genes and I started at a 120 max when I was fourteen, so it can be done. Then again, I also have teenage hormones to my benefit.

11. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

120 at 14 is more meso. I started at 135 at 14, so I'd say you're a meso. Ecto would be 95ish, that's where a lot of my friends started.

12. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

I don't know man. I should add that I did some P90X stuff (age 13-14) before I was doing any serious weight training. I'm definitely not a true mesomorph. My friend is the definition of a true meso. After squatting for not real long he was already squatting in the 300s at a bodyweight of 160. He plays basketball, football, and runs the 400 meter. He can pretty much try any sport and within a year or two he's one of the best. He dunked at 5'8" and he doesn't eat very strict. He's a one in a thousand athlete naturally gifted with incredible fast twitch fibers.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I weighed about 70 pounds when I was fourteen. I don't think I benched more that 135# until I was 46.

14. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

Depends on if he was doing the 400 for a long time beforehand, that will give you enough leg strength to squat in the 300s by itself. I'd put you more on the meso side of the ecto/meso border.

15. woodan

woodan Active Member

So there is plenty of hope. However, I do wish I had started to exercise before the age of 30.

16. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Well I was pretty athletic until I was 25, then I was sort of athletic until 35, and then quite sedentary until 45 (careers can do that). Well At 45 I decided I needed the most time efficient way of becoming healthy and that turned out to be weight lifting and cardio. As I gained ability in lifting I have needed to resort to cardio less, although if I had more time I would like to do a good deal more cardio. Long story short, I didn't really lift heavy until I was 45, so all my recent progress has been in about three and a half years.

17. Tomekk

Tomekk Active Member

Im in...

Benched 200 for 3 a week or two ago..
    Id like to hit 225 for 1 by the end of March... :confused:

:gl:

18. Illuminate

Illuminate Active Member

already hit this a few weeks ago :(

doing close grip bench for your triceps help a lot, and don't forget to set up properly, it makes a big difference

19. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

In today's workout I did some wide grip bench.

Wide grips Bench Press
    5x3 150lbs
    5x3 145lbs

I was supposed to go up 2.5 percent from last week but that would have had me somewhere between 150 and 145. My gym doesn't have 1lbs plates so I decided to lift 150 for half my sets followed by 145 for the second half. This avereges out to the same total weight as 10x3 at 147.5. Not sure if this is the same but that's what I did.

20. odin1642

odin1642 Active Member

It depends how you bench, the bar should come right to the chest, and ideally hold it for a second or two before raising it.

Of course if you watch in gyms many will put ego and weight plates before proper form - so they'll say they're benching 100kg when they're not at all really - they're only bringing the bar about a quarter of the way down before raising it - that is an absolute joke and is not a proper bench press and they are kidding themselves on.

Eg my bench press is poor, especially as have been on five month cut - can bench 65kg for 10 with sloppy form only bringing bar half to three quarters of way down - absolutely strict form which involves bringing bar to chest and holding bar on chest for a second or two before raising it I'more like only 55kg for 10, it's a big difference in weight but you'll get much better aesthetic chest development from the latter.

Also your grip width - I wouldn't get sucked into having a wider than normal grip so you can bench more - only hold your hands where indicated on the olympic bar and you'll get better chest development.

Same principle with squats - you see guys shoving on weight plates for ego, and what do they do - yes a quarter squat if that. An untrained skinny 14 year old could quarter squat 150 kg (Well on a Smith machine anyway), an absolute waste of time. Better off with a third of the weight and going to at least parallel if not slightly below.

Strict form before weight plates and ego every time IMO.