1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Finally got back at the pull ups last night 7-5-3-5-10. Did body wt squats also 5x50 and some calf raises. Tomorrow is a resting day. Friday will be pull-ups again and some lite upper body work. Lower back is still a bit unhappy. Not sure what I did or when but it still needs a few days.

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

This past month hasn't been bad but its been a bit all over the place as far as a workout plan goes and that ain't good. So, I sat down and charted out the rest of the month so I can measure progress and keep moving forward. The Tough Mudder is now only 3.5 months away so I have to get my act together. I've got it written down and it makes sense to me however it isn't the easiest thing to put down here without a graphic calendar. Anyway, here's the general flavour by activity type....

Running:

Running remains 'the' priority but I'm staying at only 3 days per week and I'm not going crazy on distance. It seems I always get injured when that happens. I'm breaking a sweat and huffing and puffing here and there so this seems good to me. I just want to build and maintain a good base. I'll consider slight increases and adjustment next month perhaps but only slight.

Short distances on Tuesdays and Thursday. Usually on road (sadly) and between 4 and 6 km. Every other week I'll swap one out and do intervals (4x300m is easy since that's the standard street block length).

Trail run for distance/time on Saturdays between 8 - 12 km / 1 to 1.5hrs. May swap to Sundays if circumstances require it. Terrain and conditions are highly varied so I'm not really looking at this in great detail (e.g. time and pace). At the moment I'm thinking of the following distance for each consecutive week over the month as 8 km, 10 km, 12 km, 8 km.

Pull-ups (Abs):

I've noted these separately as I view them as a 'must do'. Will alternate weeks M W F then T Th through the month and I have charted out sets and reps. Abs sets wil get done on same days as pull-ups. Not so concerned about sets and reps progression for abs but I'll log it as I go.

Tough Mudder Workout Program:

The TM site is posting a 12-week routine with running and strength work. I've already noted my personal running plan so I'm going to borrow and modify their strength routines. It likely assumes a slightly lower fitness level so I will be doing more reps / sets / exercises but generally I like the routines which focus on calisthenics and have an alternating Upper body and Lower body focus. I'm going to follow 1 week behind and will progress through the month. Generally this will be M W F. So, next week wil be doing their Week 3 routine.

Park Circuit:

On two Mondays in the month I will switch out the TM session with a full-body circuit train at one of my local parks. As I've done in the past, this will be made up of runs around the field with exercises done every lap or two. I will also take my tire along. Workout will generally be 30-45 mins long and exercises will include: monkeys bars x2 or x3 (a must), jump jacks, pushups, hangs, crawls, tire drags, box jumps, and anything else I can come up with. One park near me has perfect monkey bars and other aparatus which work out very well however I noticed another one that has slightly fewer aparatus but has a climbing net. I'll be doing this routine twice in Feb so maybe once in one park and once in the other.

Rest:

Rest day will be Sunday except where I swap the trail run in which case it'll be Saturday.

#162 Sharv, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well thought out. I like it. And good job on continuing to work on the pull ups. Those always have been and will be my nemesis.

Huge kudos.

Good luck getting training partners out in this weather...definitely not an easy feat.

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks for the 'well thought out' comment. Its actually what i seem to fall into as a routine I think. I figured I should sit down, chart it out, formalize it and think it over to make sure all the things I want to work on are in there. All my focus is going towards endurance and strength for this phase. Its actually very funny but if you look at a bunch of the promo material for the Spartan and Mudder you see all these really big and ripped guys. But if you watch footage of the elite level racers they're lean and mean and just keep on going. I suppose I'm also working on mental toughness (the 'keep on going' factor) as well - though I hardly think of myself as such and it seems a funny thing to consider in a training program. I'm hoping that the sessions in cold crappy weather, clilmbing up rooted, gnarly trails, dragging sandbags and tires and splashing through creeks is all helping build some grit for future obstacle course chalenges. Who knows, maybe when the big time comes I'll just curl up in a ball and cry for my mommy.

The 'pull-ups' have been a nemisis for me also. I used to do them a bit years ago but never got very far. Given the obstacle course emphasis on climbing walls, ropes and nets, its a total MUST for me to improve. I'm not where I want to be yet but I'm farther along than I used to be. I hear of folks who can knock off 30 of them at a go. Not me :lol:.....yet!

We'll just have to wait and see on the training partner plan. I don't mind chugging along on my own but I certainly could benefit from training with some other folks working towards the same obstacle-course-goals - to share ideas and push each other along.

The Mudder is 'only' 3 1/2 months away! That might seem kinda far to some people but to me it sems like tomorrow! I'm pretty sure that a lot of folks have made the TM a resolution and they better start getting their shit together ASAP! :lol: The TM is about 16 kms all up and down a ski hill with about 20 obstacles thrown in. Once you start training seriously, you realize just how much training is required. I'm pretty sure I'm at a point where I could 'survive' but I'd still like to do better than that! We're in February now and I absolutely needed to get a clear plan forward.

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Its another rest day but as planned I did some very lite upper body work and will do my pull-ups tonight.

My back is on the cusp of being back to normal. If its 100%, I'll do an 8 km trail run tomorrow. If not, I'll push it off until Sunday. Even tho I canrun farther than 8km, I thought Id' step back a bit and then build each week. Kind of a looping build program over the next couple of months and work up to race distance by May.

6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Pull ups done on Saturday 7-4-5-4-7. Trails were an icy mess so did 8 km road run instead. I would have preferred the trails but a steady 8 km was a good enuf substitute. 49 mins, 8.29 kms, avg pace 5.53 min/km, avg hr 168 bpm, max hr 182 bpm.

Monday is Upper Body session routine. Going to do it at the gym this time - too much to do at home before leaving for work. Will do: pushups, dips, upside down pushups, tricep etxtensions, curls, rope pulls. Will do my pull ups at home tonight 7-4-5-4-MAX.

Tomorrow will be road run intervals 4x300m fast, 4x300m slow + abs.

#166 Sharv, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Kids are sick at home so had to do the workout at home. Pull-ups done 7-4-5-4-7. Upper body session done too - push-ups, tricep dips, curls, single dumbbell rows, and tricep extensions.

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Nice pace! Is your route fairly hilly?

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

This morning's 4x300 m (approx) intervals got done. Total distance w warmup cooldown was 2.6 km. Slow pace was bouncing around 6:30 min km and fast around 4:45 min km. Average hr was 154 bpm. Hr during intervals was in the 160's and low 170's. Flat course and about -9 outside. Abs sets and planks done too. Time for breakfast!!!

Tomorrow is lower body resistance session.

#169 Sharv, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks for the comment. I think most other folks run faster, farther and with better form but it wasn't bad. Sadly my route was pretty flat - not like my trail running sessions which are all over the place. It was a good session tho to be running a fair distance (for me) at a steady pace vs my usual up and down distance / trail runs. Next week will be back to the trails. Maybe next month I'll aim for some hill sessions - I've had some ugly feedback on the Tough Mudder lol.

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Lower body circuit done this morning. 3x the following body wt only.

Prisoner squats (30)
    Lunge (15 per leg)
    Wide leg jump squats (20)
    Single leg squat (10 per leg)
    Calf raise (15 slow 10 fast 2 positions each)

Tomorrow 5km street run.

Friday Upper body circuit.

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I've been seeing a lot of TM/Spartan types of things around and one of my good friends signed up for Spartan. Facebook keeps advertising the TM to me, as well. But unlike you, I'm not insane. :nope:

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I was originally planning to try some shorter distance races first but here I am doing the Mudder first. I've never been considered very bright nor a good decision-maker :lol:. Once I recover, I'll do a Spartan :D.

#173 Sharv, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  14. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Pull-ups done last night 6-5-7-5-6. Seems funny to post an update just for this but I assign them great importance and I must stick with them!!!

Since I'm on anyway, I'm going to go for my run at noon and see what running when the sun is up is all about. Will do 6 km.

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

For the extreme endurance athletes out there, the dreamers or just for people who like nice scenery I attach a link to a great video of the UTMB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFWDUsvLCoE

160 kms with 9,600 m of total verticle. I think I just blew out my knees typing that. ;)

#175 Sharv, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  16. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Get your runs in now! You guys appear to have some good snow coming your way.

17. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I just got my noon hour run in. I must admit to being disappointed that there wasn't any snow yet :lol:. Should be a pile and a half by Saturday which should make for a great trail running day!!! Woo hoo!

I'm thinking I can call all the shovelling my Upper Body session tomorrow though.

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did Upper body session and Abs (which I was supposed to do yesterday) this morning. Then some snow shovelling. Will be doing a fair amount more of 'that' in a few hours.

Tomorrow is trail running day. Should be 'interesting' if we get as much snow as forecast :lol:

Will edit yesterday's 6km run with the details once I upload the Garmin. Generally, was running over my comfortable pace (at about 4:30 min / km) for the first half and huffed and puffed below my usual pace on the way back. Not a bad thing to push myself to keep up with a couple faster runners but I don't want to end up injuring myself....again. Was informative to watch the pacing of the run tho.

19. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:eek: :claplow:

20. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

:lol: I think you misunderstood my poorly constructed sentence. They wanted to run 4:30, but that isn't "my" comfortable pace. I struggled at that pace but kept up. I'm happier at 5:15 to 5:45. One day...