1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, still feeling crappy but definitely getting better.

Nothing planned for today but did 25 mins on the stationary bike yesterday and a lite abs workout.

Tomorrow (Thursday) will do 20 mins on treadmill and 15 mins on stationary bike as I try and ramp up my running again in a more knee- and ankle-friendly way. Will do Upper Body Resistance workout on Friday and a very lite outdoor run on Saturday - haven't decided if it'll be trails or road yet).

The ankle? It appears that I strained things but there is no tear or other damage of consequence visible. So, as my Dr said, we know what it isn't. There's some fluid build-up from the strain but that's all. His thoughts were that repeated minor strains built up to such a point that it got painful.

So, on Dr's advice, I have the green light to get back at it. Taking it easy and icing after workouts. No taping or ankle supports are needed. So..... I'll slowly introduce some lite, short distance outdoor runs (once a week or so) but will generally ramp up the distance and speed on the treadmill for a while (twice a week). Over the past couple of weeks, 15 mins at 4.5 mph has not been an issue so tomorrow I'll give 20 mins a go. Once I work up to 30 mins, I'll start to increase the speed a bit as well.

Ready to get back to business!!! :jumping:

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, as planned, I did nothing yesterday :lol:.

This morning did 20 mins on treadmill at 5 mph, 20 pushups, 20 burpees, and 15 mins on stationary bike.

Tomorrow = upper body resistance circuit.

Onwards!

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

If you believe what they say, rest days are critical for recovery, and muscle growth. So you didn't do nothing. :) But I feel the same way when I take a rest day.

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body resistance done this morning as planned. Upped some reps here and there and swapped in a new exercise for the hell of it. Did my pull-ups last night too 7-6-5-6-7. Yeah me! :claphigh:

Despite the fact that I have a "green light" from the Dr and that apparently all is well with my ankle, its still tweaky with occassional sharp little pains. Easy does it I guess.

Signed up for a locally infamous military-style obstacle boot camp workout in mid-January. Wait does that conflict with my sentence about taking it easy? Heck, its almost a month away, I'll be ok. ha ha. It looks like 'fun' and it should be a good litmus test for my fitness level and obstacle weaknesses. I have a feeling I'm going to get seriously schooled! As the saying goes, "if something excites you and scares the crap out of you at the same time, you should do it."

For the curious, you can take a peak of it here:

http://www.the-ocourse.com/

Going to aim for some lite jogs outside this weekend. Nothing intense at all (at least from a running perspective). Just a little stroll to get back into things, test the ankle and get some fresh air.

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I hear ya shamie. And I agree with the 'rest days are important' thing. I was just poking fun since due to injury and the flu it feels like 'rest days' have been 'most days'. :)

6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Sadly, I didn't get the little jog done on the weekend so I did it on the way to work this morning instead. Rode the subway half way and jogged the remaining 5 km. _Still_ fighting the last stages of a flu or something but I made it.

Will do Abs and pull-ups later in the day and do Upper Body session tomorrow, I think. Spare time is getting a bit rare as we head in to the last week before X-mas. Yikes!

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Pull ups done 4-4-5-5-6-6-7 and Abs. Today is turning into a whirlwind of work meetings and last-minute X-mas shopping so I'm moving my upper body workout to tomorrow. Thankfully feeling this flu is starting to fade. I've struggled thru some workouts over the last week but I haven't been close to 100%. Finally starting to feel better.

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Do crazed x-mas errands and desperately trying to get work assignments completed count as workouts? :lol: Will aim for pull-ups and stationary bike tonight. Lite morning outdoor run and upper body resistance session tomorrow.

Despite this hectic time of year I MUST get back on track!!!

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did pullups 8-7-6-7-7 yesterday. Was supposed to do 8 on last set but just.... couldn't...... do...... it..... Even 7 was damn near impossible. Did stationary bike (25 mins) with sets of abs exercises every 6 or 7 minutes last night as well. Sweaty, stinky shirt direct to washing machine!

Did a 20 min run in the park this morning. Several loops with various exercises done with each loop - 3 x monkey bars, 20 pushups, 100 jump jax, bear crawl across the field (yes, I'm sure that looked insane but it sure gave me a different perspective on how big a soccer field is!). I was huffing and puffing throughout which is a tell-tale sign of how out of shape I am with these past injuries and sickness (well, it was kinda tough too). This should be even more fun in the snow in a freezing head wind!!! Yeah February, I'm talkin to you!!! Feeling about 80% today but it felt great to get outside again. Damn dark but not too cold. At 5 am I can pretty much guantee having the park to myself but the tradeoff is not being able to see imperfections in the field. Ghost hole! Note to self: get a head lamp!

Doing the monkey bars a few times turned out to be a very good idea. I have tended to struggle along in a virtual dead hang. Generally keeping my arms pretty close to straight with my legs hanging as well. I've never really given this much thought but it always feels pretty damn hard! Anyway, for no particular reason I pulled myself up further keeping my arms bent and brought my legs up farther as well. Effectively using more core and arms in the mix. This proved to be MUCH easier and faster. I was still going one rung at a time but it felt quite a bit easier. I was geting a bit tired by the time I tried this modification but I'll give this a shot up front next time. Upon reflection, I've observed this 'technique' in obstacle race footage so maybe there's something to this. Seems funny to be rambling about the biomechanics of children's play equipment but there you have it. Tune in next week for efficient swingset technique :lol:

Neither yesterday nor this morning was anything massive as far as workouts go but I'm eazing back into things and trying to stay injury free at the same time. Onwards! :tu:

Plan to hit the gym tomorrow for an upper body strength session and then a lite trail run on Saturday.

I'll be away from work for the next two weeks with the munchkins over the x-mas break. Since I won't be able to come to the gym, I'll go back to my old, modified P90X sessions. I'll have to give the actual schedule some thought since I want to avoid Legs workouts the day before any major running. Generally it'll be P90X strength stuff M W F and running / boot camp running / other cardio on any of the other days with one rest day per week. I will stick with this thru the holidays!!!

10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body session done this morning. Since I did an 'upper' session, I'll move the pullups to tomorrow.

Still planning to get a lite trail run done this weekend. It'll be tough though with all the x-mas errands and visiting that are getting dropped into this weekend's schedule. Yikes!

Also plan to do upper body session on Monday when I go in to work for the half day. Last gym day until Jan 7th. Will shift to P90X-style home routines during the break. Not a moment too soon either! My strength is pretty solid (maybe even improving?) but I can't crank out the push-ups like I used to (maybe I was just tired this morning and I shouldn't be so negative!). P90X Chest and Back routine should fix that.

Got to stick to it and get somewhat close to where I left off almost 1 1/2 months ago.

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Saturday ended up way too busy. Just as I suspected.

Sunday did 1 hr trail run. Lots of hills and stairs and the occasional sets of pushups and dips. I'm not sure how far it was since I looped back and forth quite a bit and along some new trails. I'm certainly not at the same level of cardio that I was a couple of months ago! Had to walk now and again. Those hills and stairs were tough! It felt great to get out there again tho. Over hill, over dale, through the creeks and the muddy trails. Just awesome. A bit tricky given the freezing temps. Some mud, some ice, hard ground, soft ground.

Didn't have a lot of time later in the day so just did 1 set of pull ups...10. Not as good as 11 but better than 9. :)

Monday. Just did an upper body session at the gym. Last one until Jan 7th. Upped weights and reps wherever I could.

Tomorrow = Christmas. So, who knows if I'll end up doing enything. Will try for a lite spin on the stationary bike at least. Lets just call it an off day. As it aught to be anyway.

All the best to everyone for the holiday season!!! :tu:

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Christmas Day took it easy. Went for long walk w the family and ended up in the park. My daughters and I challenged each other to see who could go farther on the monkey bars. My 8- year old gave me a real run for my money. Turned out to be a good workout by the end of it :)

Yesterday morning did 30 mins on the stationary bike with with 4 sets of 30 crunches scattered throughout. In the evening did an 8-km run in fresh falling snow. It was great!

This morning did 1/2 of the P90X chest and back routine and then spent 2 hours shovelling snow. Now I'm officially beat but the kids want to go sledding in an hour. Must.....get.......cup.....of.....coffee....

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did 30 mins on stationary bike this morning. Mix of brutal hills. Did 3 sets of abs after and a set of j jacks.

Hope to go for a trail run tomorrow.

14. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

1 hr trail run in the snow this morning. 3x20 push-ups on the run.

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Making today a rest day. May try and do pull-ups and abs later in the day but not a required workout day.

Tomorrow will do some manner of upper body resistance workout. Stationary bike session for bonus marks.

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, it seems I've been missing my updating over the holiday. In my defense, it was supposed to be a 'holiday' :lol:. Managed to get a number of runs done and workouts here and there over the holiday season. It certainly didn't go as I'd originally planned but it was better than nothing. From a running perspective, things are certainly going well. From a resistance training perspective....not quite so well. I suppose I'm holding steady but regretably have a major kink in my neck and back that's holiding one of my shoulders hostage. When I roll my shoulder back I feel a brutal sharp pain in my neck and collar bnone. Not pleasant. I'll get to the massage therapist this week and hopefully get it worked out. :gl:

Today will go for a run and book that massage appointment!

Otherwise hope everyone is doing well and had a pleasant holiday!!!

17. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Went for an 8km run yesterday evening. Booked my appointment to get shoulder worked on for this morning.

Will hit the stationary bike tonight. Thinking of 25 - 30 minutes with various exercise sets every 5 minutes - pushups, dips, crunches, squats, burpees, curls.

Tomorrow will do a park circuit train with loops around the field and hitting the monkey bars, tire carry, crawls, weighted drags, box jumps. Approx 30 minutes.

Thurs will be a short, lite run and pull ups.

Friday off.

Saturday is Obstacle Course boot camp class.

In other news.....

I'm all signed up for Toronto Tough Mudder 2013. Ain't no going back now :lol:

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Yesterday night did 25 minutes on the stationary bike. Hopped off every 5-7 mins for sets of curls, abs, dips.

Did a park circuit this morning. Brought my tire along too. Did running loops of the park with monkey bars, jumping jacks, bear crawls, tire carries and tire drags after every loop or two. All 'round crazy 5 am fun.

Will do a lite 20 minute run on the treadmill tomorrow and some pullups.

Friday rest day. Stretching session wouldbe a good idea I think.

19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Switching things up a bit. Calves are feeling pretty tight from the last 2 days so I'm going to hit the stationary bike tonight instead of the treadmill. Will do my pull-ups tonight as well.

Tomorrow will stay a rest day. Will do a lite warm-up and stretch in the morning.

Saturday = O Course! I look forward to it with equal parts excitement and fear. ;)

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:lol: Let us know when you've figured out strong teeter totter technique as well!

As an aside, and you may already have grabbed one, Costco sells a three pack of headlamps for some ridiculously low price...something around $10 if I remember correctly. I use mine for walking the dog in the park at night regularly (and more recently, running at night).

Good luck with the O-Course! That will be a challenge, I'm sure, but at least it looks like it's supposed to be pretty warm in TO this weekend.

Out of curiosity, how do you reconcile trail running in the snow? I can't do it effectively...well...not on any single track type of trails. Wide open packed trails can be alright with a set of YakTrax on. We get a bit different snow here, too.