1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks for the input. I think its been a combination of problems for me. Firstly, form has definitely been one of them. Pushing too hard and running too far (too soon) definitely degrades my form. I know this was happening too often and I'll be keeping a close eye on form as I get back into things. Training with a mutli-marathon / ironman woman might be something to reconsider :)

Secondly, shoes. I absolutely waited too long to get new shoes. My shoes were way too old to go through the training regimine I had. For financial reasons I thought I could stretch out their life span. That was a STUPID thing to do. Poor form + increased training intensity + old shoes = trip to the doctor's office + screwing up my training plan :(

Thirdly, I think I had the common "going at it too hard too soon" syndrome. Its great to get excited and use that to motivate but I have to be reasonable. Yes, there is quite a bit of time to get into shape but there's only so far I can go from my starting point. In all honesty I have to train slowly and methodically to survive and have fun at events this coming season. NOT to go from 0 to elite athlete in one year of training :lol:.

I'm hoping to go for a short spin this afternoon and will be easing back carefully. All going well, I'm guessing it'll take until the New Year to get back into the swing of things.

I'll consider barefoot (though likely not too often in the snow) :) I'd do that before I'd ever wear those odd looking toe runners :lol:

Cheers macdiver

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Pull ups done. Went for a lite 20 min jog. Walked for a bit every 5 mins. Felt a bit clunky but otherwise ok. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will do another very lite jog on Thursday and will stop here and there for dips. pushups etc. (may as well make the most of it ;)).

Today is upper body session.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is lower body and pull ups.

3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Yesterday's upper body workout got done. I didn't get a great sleep the night before so it felt a bit tough here and there. Also, there were a few other folks using some of the equipment and I moved the order around as well - which isn't a bad thing. The pushups which felt pretty easy the last time through felt a good deal harder when the order got switched and they were closer to the end of the workout - ha ha.

Left achilles is not feeling the love after that short run the other day. Its loosened up over the course of the day though and I've been icing it so hopefully its nothing to get too worried about. Notwithstanding that it felt much improved this morning (Wednesday), I've opted to skip a legs workout and hit the stationary bike tonight instead. Perhaps 20 minutes was still a bit too much of a run? Maybe it was slightly stretched or damaged already? Who knows. I'll go for a very lite run (a.k.a. jog) on Thursday, maybe only 15 minutes, and see how that goes. I was very worried about the achilles yesterday when it started hurting pretty significantly. It has subsided quite a bit today so I'm less worried but I'm still on high alert. I've been away from running for a fair bit already and there's no sense going back at it and screwing up something else. What a drag!!! Anyway, if the ankle/achilles causes any problems after Thursday's little jaunt, I'll be visiting the Dr ASAP. Heck, I might just make the appointment with him anyway now and check it out without Thursday's second test run. If I need time away from running to heel something, I'll swap in the stationary bike to keep the cardio up. I'm not going to pretend I'm not frustrated but I'll develop a path forward and survive. I've passed the 'denial' and 'anger' stages and am now moving towards 'acceptance' :lol::mad:

On a positive note, I'll get the pull ups done tonight along with the stationary bike routine!

#83 Sharv, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Pull ups done last night and going fairly well. I'm in the midst of a program I pulled off the web to get to 20 pullups. I'm finding the schedule a bit too agressive so I've been repeating weeks a bit. I'm progressing but not like the program's overly optimistic schedule. In early October I was only able to only manage 4 (or 5 if I was kicking and swinging like hell). Last night was 6-5-6-5-6 (with a 90 sec rest between sets) for a total of 28 which seems pretty good. No way I could have come close to that before. I'll make it to 20 eventually.

Doing the bike routine tonight instead. Feeling a little less pissed off at my ankle today (since it feels a bit better) - I'm thinking I just have to take it easy and stop beating it up so much. Maybe a little jog on the weekend but that's all in the short term for running. Still going to monitor it carefully. I'll hit the bike hard for the cardio and mix in some pushups, crunches and dips for good measure! Sadly, when I finally get back to running, I'll be starting at the ground floor. Makes me feel like I've lost alot of ground but I'll get back there again eventually.

Seems like 'eventually' is the word of the day :lol:

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Stationary bike got done but my damn ipod battery died part way thru. Pretty boring for the rest of the session.

Did and Abs and Core this morning but am otherwise taking a rest day. Scheduled a visit with Sport Med Dr this morning. I seem to be able to walk run hop skip and jump but odd movements hurt like stink. So, going to get it looked at before thinking about getting back into running. I was hoping to do a rather serious boot camp, obstacle course training session in a couple of weeks. It might be the only time it'll fit my work schedule. I sure hope the foot prognossis is good.

Tomorrow will do the old P90X Chest and Back - since I can't hit the gym on Saturday for an Upper Session (which I'm missing today). The rest of the future cardio schedule hinges on Dr assessment.

6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Saturday did a mixed bag upper body session. A bit of P90X Chest & Back with some Arms and Shoulders. Not the greatest workout ever but not bad either.

Sunday got out for a walk but no workout of consequesnce. For this, I feel shame :lol:

Today, Upper Body session at the gym. Going big or going home!!!

Dr has referred me for an ultrasound so we'll see what's causing all the fuss. Appointment is this coming Friday, results and follow-up late next week. Pretty good turn-around all things considered but with each passing week my running abilities are dropping. Trying to keep up with cardio on the stationary bike but I'd rather be outside running! Happily the pain is getting less and less by small amounts each day. No doubt, it'll have healed by the time I get my ultrasound. Typical :lol:.

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body session just done. Went very well and upped the weight and number of reps here and there. Other adjustments should be made next session as well.

Will do stationary bike at the gym tomorrow. Seems less boring at the gym - watching the people come and go I guess.

Looks like a good week to actually hit the intended workout schedule. :)

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

30 min hill session on stationary bike done this morning. Missed pull-ups yesterday. Will do them tonight which means shifting the next set to Thursday and then Saturday.

Tomorrow. Lower body session.

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Opted to do the Spartan W-O-D (with minor modifications) in the evening yesterday instead of just the pull ups sets. Minimal rests between sets. All done in about 20 minutes.

Jump Jacks 50
    Burpees 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1
    Jump Switch Lunges 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1
    Pull ups 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1
    Body Weight Squats 5,6,7,8,9,8,7,6,5
    Jump Jacks 50
    Planks 3 x 1 min

The planks were supposed to be 2 mins each but I was pretty wrecked at the end - even 1 min was tough. I guess it was a quasi-cross-fit workout now that I think about it. I looked at this workout yesterday and thought it would be a lot easier (given the tiny little numbers) but without any major breaks it was harder than I expected. Glad I did it though. I absolutely hate burppees!

Feelin' some doms in the legs after having done this AND that stationary bike hill set yesterday!

10. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Is that the workout from the movie 300?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Nope but its a variation on the theme though. A 300-lite if you will. :)

I googled the actual 300 movie routine and it looks pretty darn tough. Here it is in all its glory. The aim is to finish it as quickly as possible. I'm getting sore just reading it :lol:
    • 25 pull ups
    • 50 dead lifts with 135 lbs
    • 50 pushups
    • 50 box jumps
    • 50 floor wipes
    • 50 clean-and-presses with a 36lb kettle bell
    • 25 more pull ups

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thought I'd test drive my ankle with an easy jog on the treadmill today. Ran 15 minutes at 4.5 mph. Felt fine. No ill effects. Hopped on the stationary bike for another 15 minutes and then did some ab work.

Unless advised otherwise by Dr (or if some post workout pain flares up tomorrow or something dumb like that), I'm now going to integrate the treadmill into Tues and Thurs sessions and slowly work up to 30 minutes. It isn't the road or the trail but its better than nothing!

At least the new kicks will get some use!!!

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Today will do pull ups routine followed by today's Spartan WOD - the Abs 300 as follows:

15 Crunches, 30 Bicycles, 30 Back Scratchers, 30 Rotating Crunches, 15 Leg Lowers, 30 Scissor Kicks, 30 Side Crunches, 30 Bicycles, 15 Crunches, 30 Back Scratchers, 15 Leg Lowers, and 30 Side Crunches. Might have to take a bit of a break here and there but I will get through it!!!

Tomorrow (Saturday) will either do a blast on the stationary bike or a lite jog in the neighbourhood park (on the field) with some circuits through the play equipment (monkey bars, pushups, pull ups, squats and box jumps). I prefer the park idea. Will keep the jog lite but will push it on the exercises portion. Aiming for an hour long routine.

14. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Yikes

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Silly weekends not going according to plan these days.

Got the Abs workout done on Friday but not my pull ups. I feel shame.

Saturday did the stationary bike circuit (instead of a trail-ish run) upon the advise of my smarter self (who said to wait until after the Dr appointment on Friday with the results of ultrasound test on ankle). I like my rash and impulsive self but I guess the smarter self was probably right. Still didn't do my pull ups. Nor on Sunday. I feel shame...again. Must do them tonight!!! :mad:

As an aside, I talked to a podiatrist friend over the weekend about the pain I was having. He agreed the tests will tell the story but with the location of the pain, what exercise I had been doing etc etc etc he said to expect a deltoid ligament issue. Such injury can come on from repeditive overuse or a single event. When I told him the pain (which I only really experience with lateral movement) has been going on 3 weeks and I was surprised it had been so long, he smiled and said that if its a deltoid ligament injury (typical of an ankle sprain) 3 weeks is nothing. Nifty. :rolleyes:

Today = upper body session + pull ups

Tomorrow = 15 min treadmill + 15 min stationary bike

Despite the potential prognosis, I had no pain, swelling or any negative sympitoms whatsoever the last time I ran 15 min on the treadmill so I think I'm ok with this. In all honesty it felt good to run if only for 15 minutes. I'll keep the pace and time the same.

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Apparently this was the routine some of the actors were working their way way up to - not something they did every day, just the end goal. Can you imagine?

17. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body session done yesterday. Pull ups done as well 5-4-5-6-7.

Hit the treadmill (easy at 4.5 mph & 0.5% incline for 15 mins) and stationary bike (15 mins) this morning.

Regretably, someone in the office brought in a massive container of chocolate-covered m&m's and in a crazed moment I ate more of them than I could count. At least there was protein in the peanuts, right? :( Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

#97 Sharv, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did a full body, calisthenics/plyometrics circuit today. Felt like I was going to throw up after 5 minutes :lol:

Did a light warm up followed by stretching and then 2x through the following circuit with minimal rests between exercises. Took about 10 minutes each time through. 2 min rest after the first round. Then a cool down and lite stretch at the end of it all.

10 push ups
    20 body weight squats
    25 crunches
    15 burpees (4 step)
    20 side to side jumps (over short obstacle)
    1 minute plank
    bear crawl (back and forth across the gym)
    20 alt arm/leg raises*
    tiger crawl (back and forth across the gym)
    10 leg raises
    6 funky push ups (for lack of a better word)**
    50 jump jacks

* from an on-all fours position, stretch left arm forward and right leg straight back, hold 3 seconds, bring down and then repeat with opposit arm/leg combo

** I have no idea what these are called but they are 'interesting'. do a normal push up, then when in the 'up' position, touch left hand to the right foot under your body. do another push-up and from the up position touch opposit hand/foot combo. don't let hand/foot touch the ground in the movement. Does this make sense? Only did 6 at a time since its a tough one for my quirky shoulder. Nice little coordination and core exercise though.

Side to side jumps and burpees have got to be done but make me feel quite puke-ish. The crawling stuff is quite popular in the adventure racing training routines for pretty obvious reasons. This is the first time I've really tried them and will definitely do them again. They were both tougher than I expected but fun. Although I wonder how I looked to anyone who saw me doing it?

#98 Sharv, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Sadly, I'm heading into a cold or flu or something so no major workout is planned for today or tomorrow. I'm just going to play things by ear and see what I can do. I'll probably get something done but I don't want to commit to anything up front. :) I'm feeling pretty wrecked. #1 goal is to get some more rest!

20. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Been sick as a dog since Friday. Btw why do people say, "sick as a dog"? I feel sicker than I've ever seen a dog be sick. :confused: Anyway, I digress....

I did my pull ups over the weekend but nothing else 9-6-5-7 (should have done 5 sets but got interrupted). Its moving slowly (as I've noted before) but its improving. During that first set of 9 I felt strong throughout. I recognize it isn't something fantastic like 30 reps but I'm happy with the progress. One day!!! Onwards and upwards! :tu:

I'm still feeling seriously crappy today but I'm thinking I'm thru the worst of it. I'm not doing any workout today except my pull-ups tonight. If things improve for tomorrow, I'll do some lite cardio like the stationary or treadmill and get back on track.

Sadly, I had to skip out on my doctor appointment this past Friday but I'll be seeing him this afternoon for the prognosis on my ankle. I'm thinking it'll be workable for training and I'll be able to ease back into road and trail running. I still feel pain with odd lateral movement (mostly very specific stretches) but walking, hopping, skipping and jumping stuff isn't bothing it at all now (that little cross-fit type routine last Weds with side-to-side jumps, crawling and burpees etc all went fine). So, I'm thinking it must be getting better (slowly but surely). Still, important to figure out what it is so I don't go too hard and f it up.

Kleenex is my friend :(