1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Monday didn't go according to plan but that's not really new. Did Abs and some Core though.

Chest & Back got done this morning. Woo hoo! The power was out but I turned on a flashlight and ran through the routine anyway :tu:. I considered bailing but since I mucked up Monday there really was no excuse. Will go for a short run at noon. I haven't experienced any shin issues post-trail race (depite it being a total killer!!!) so I'lll be taking today's noon-hour road run very easy and will keep it short - 5 km max. Note to self - hurry up and get new road shoes!!!

The Pull-ups plan got a bit off track last week (well actually everything got off track). I'll be looping back and finishing off last week's routine this week. Tested my max the other day and it was up from 4 to 7. Probably could have 'squeezed and kicked and thrashed' out one more to make it 8. It sounds so very lame but its increasing at least. Must keep that going!!! I'll be impressed when I can get over two digits as a first goal.

Tomorrow is Arms & Shoulders.

One more month to go with P90X which will take me into early December as planned. Anyone reading this who's done P90X will notice I've moved things around a bit but that was my original plan anyway. Some of the routines overly emphasize exercises which don't work for my shoulder rehab so I've made changes accordingly. Here and there over the last few weeks I've tried doing regular push-ups and it hasn't been too bad on the shoulder now. Despite that, I'll stick with the incline until I run the rest of the way through P90X. Once complete I might run through one more month to finish off 2012 with regular pushups (and lower reps) and see how it goes. But carefully!

Is it too early to think about the training plan for 2013? Running will still be a part of things as I'll be slowly moving the mileage and speed up. The weather will really start to suck which is going to make outdoor training a bit of a chore. I guess that's life though and I'll just wear more layers and not whine about it. Heck, it might even be fun doing outdoor calisthenics in the snow! :lol: I'm on the Spartan Workout of the Day (WOD) emailing list and there are some great routines on there. While they do focus on specific things they have more mixed endurance and strength routines versus my alternating strength and endurance days. I'm struggling with a decision on how to proceed. I'll sit down and write what the Spartan routine has been over the last month and try to figure out the pattern (if there is one) and see how it fits into my schedule. Maybe I can run some kind of hybrid routine for early 2013 and see how it goes. TBD

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did a 5 km run yesterday at noon but started experiencing some knee pain after about 4 km. Likely the shoes which I MUST replace but I'm going to go and see my sports med doctor and make sure. Get an update on the shoulder as well.

Arms & Shoulders done this morning.

3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

No running today. In fact, no running until next Tuesday. I'm going to let my knees, shins and ankles completely rest up. Also, no road running until the new shoes are bought. Sports Med Dr appointment is set for tomorrow morning. I have a good idea what I need for shoes but wanted to have a chat with the Dr first. Also will get an update on my shoulder.

Doing some Core, Abs and Pull-ups for today.

I'm noticing some progress with some increased bulk and definition. Nothing major but its all starting to show which is nice. My priority is getting stronger and able to pull off more endurance and strength activities but if it shows too that's a bonus.

One step at a time on the journey to become unstoppable. :tucool:

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, the wheels certainly fell off the train yesterday. Got Core done but ended up having to babysit someone's puppy which proceeded to pee on my floor and cry and whine. The dust settled eventually (she's a good dog) but my workout plans got wrecked. The dog is very cute and a real hit with my kids. Adding to the mess did I mention I already have 2 cats? They were not amused.

Anyway, no Legs & Back today since I'm seeing the Dr anyway. I'm thinking I'll do it tomorrow....unless I still have the puppy to deal with which will go nuts when I wake up. Oh man what a mess :lol:

So no real concrete workout plans for the next couple of days. I'll get done whatever I can. Maybe next week will work better?

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, apparently some swelling in my right knee and a wee bit painful going up and down stairs. Getting an ultrasound and x-ray later today and we'll see what all the fuss is about at the end of the week when I get the results. So, no running until then. Hopefully its nothing too serious and something that can be managed with some rehab work. I'm guessing its a combo of wrong shoes and probably pushing too hard (and subsequent lapses in running form). Once back on track, I'm going to take it back a notch and focus on form (especially road running). Still plenty of time until Spring. Upper body needs work anyway so I'll focus my attention on that in the mean time. Abs and lite chest work done this morning. Will do pull-ups tonite.

6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Monday (yesterday) pull ups done. Picking up where I left off and going ok. Not where I'd like yet but I'm going to stick with it!!!

Tuesday (today) Chest & Back done this morning. Did about 3/4 of the full workout but did normal pushups off the floor for the first time in months. Went very well and I was surprised at how many I was able to do pain free. Clearly taking the time to do them on an incline has paid off. Didn't want to push it too far so only did part of the workout as a result. Couldn't do declines yet but I'll get there eventually. :tu: Diamond pushups off the floor are a total no-go and put way to much strain on my shoulder but standard, wide and military went well.

Wednesday (tomorrow) will be Arms & Shoulders, Abs and Pull ups.

Thursday I'm thinking I'll hop on the stationary bike to get some cardio in that isn't too much for my knees. Gotta sweat off some of the halloween candy :)

Friday would ordinarily be Legs & Back but given I see the Dr for my test results I'm passing on that workout. I'll sub in another Chest & Back. I could use the upper body work anyway. Again I'm planning on only doing 3/4 of the session to ease into doing proper pushups again.

I'm hoping I can do a short trail run on Saturday. My knees feel a world better today from yesterday so I'm hoping things will be better by Saturday. Or at least better enough for a short, easy run on trails (instead of road). If the prognosis says "no", I'll do something else. Absolutely don't want to push it too soon.

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Arms & Shoulders done. Abs and Pull ups to do tonite.

Tomorrow will hit the stationary bike for some cardio.

Looked like a close one down south last night. You all need some more polling stations or something. Those line ups looked crazy!

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Abs and pull-ups done last night. Struggled on last reps in last set on the pull ups but otherwise went well.

30 mins on stationary bike done this morning. Huffed and puffed and sweated bullets so I'm guessing it was a good effort.

Tomorrow will skip Legs session and repeat Chest & Back. Visiting Dr for the results of knee x-rays and ultrasounds. Hopefully its nothing too severe. I'm still feeling some mild issues in right knee but its significantly improved from the beginning of the week.

Saturday? Who knows. If knee is up to it, I might do a short trail run or maybe something at the park. If not, I'll do some stationary bike workout again.

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

To survive or to thrive? That is the question.

In the beginning (September), next season seemed pretty far away. Now, three months in, it doesn't seem far away at all! I'm nearing the end of what I was calling a 'conditioning' phase (4 more weeks to go). I think I'll change things up for the next stage to hit the gym now on MWF to do some upper and lower body focused strength work - so we can call this the 'strength phase' I guess. I'll still integrate alot of body weight exercises but I'll also be able to hit some heavier weight here and there as well. Cardio (mostly running) will still be T Th Sa. I'm thinking I'll shift to this routine for December and January. I'll shpeel out something more detailed in a few weeks.

Baseline testing

There is a local fitness club that runs a weekly obstacle course training session - The 'O' Course. It looks 'very' challenging but fun too. About 2 to 3 hours including the warm-up and actual obstacle course. I'm no where near race shape yet (or as close as I intend to get by May) but I think doing this class/course would be a good measure of my current strengths and weaknesses. I probably won't be able to move for a week afterwards but at least I'll have a good idea about what I need to focus on. Hell I probably won't even be able to do half the obstacles :lol:. Please don't let me embarass myself....too much ;) The next class I can fit into my weekend schedule is in December so I have about one more month. Hopefully the knees are ok before then and I can give this thing a shot. Famous last words. :lol:

10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Chest & Back done this morning. Felt tired and struggled but was able to knock off normal pushups again (with some exceptions like declines and dive bombers). Will do Abs and pull ups tonight.

We'll see what's up for the weekend based on the knee assessment. Also realised Saturday is packed full of stuff so a run (if possible) will have to shift to Sunday. Guess I'll make Saturday the rest day.

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Good news!!! Back from the Dr and I only some fluid build-up and inflamation. No tears, rips or other nastiness. All testing came back ok. Gotta be more religious with icing but I have the green light to get back at it again. Recommendation (a.k.a. REQUIREMENTS!!!) to (1) get new shoes and (2) ease back in and (3) watch the form (especially on hard surfaces). Very happy!!! :D So, I'll get back at it slowly but in the immediate term I have to ice things down a bit more and stretch.

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, its Monday. Didn't do any running this weekend. :( Thought I'd give it a bit more of a rest.

I've decided to launch the switch to the Strength Phase this week. So, no more P90X-ish routines. Generally, strength training on M W F (which isn't that much different than before). I'll generally alternate Upper / Lower body routines into the new year. The routines are a bit of a mix of calisthenics, free weights and machines (basically the machine exercises are in the routine to help isolate the working muscles and not strain my shoulder - other exercises will help strengthen them tho). Unfortunately, I still can't really do bench pressing yet so I'll be subbing in pushups until I think the shoulder is strong enough. Maybe I'll try some pressing with very low weight down the road, maybe I won't bother and stick with the pushups. We shall see. So, today marks Day 1 with an Upper Session.

Will get back to running either tomorrow or Thursday depending if I get my new kicks in time. If I don't run tomorrow, I'll hit the stationary bike in the a.m.

So, 'back on track' but 'taking it easy!'.

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper routine done as follows (a, b, c represents backtoback sets):

5 min warm up on bike
    lite stretching
    1a Dips - 3 x 5-10
    1b Reverse (upside down) pushups 3 x 10+
    2a Seated rows 3 x 5-10
    2b Pushups (walking left and right per rep) 3 x 10+
    2c Bench Dips 3 x 10+
    3a Seated Back Fly 2 x 6-12
    3b Seated Chest Fly 2 x 6-12
    4a Lawnmowers 3 x 6-10
    4b Reinforced Bicep Curls 3 x 6-12
    5 Shoulder Raise 2 x 6-10
    6 Lying Down Shoulder Pivot 2 x 5-15 (lite wt)
    7 Abs 1x40 crunches, 1x60 bicycles, 1x15 leg lifts
    cool down + stretching (especially shoulders!!!)

This is the routine I'll follow for the next month or two. Dips, pushups to increase but only did sets of 10 today to start. No sense pushing and wrecking the shoudler. The weight for various exercises will sort itself out over the next couple of sessions. Felt great! :bb:

14. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, yesterday aught to have been a run day but meetings and life in general got in the way. Got the pull ups done though. Decided to test my max and was able to knock off 9 without too much trouble - getting there (slowly but surely). I used to only be able to do 4 so that ain't bad. Really want to be able to do 20 - 25.

This week looks like its going to be a bit of a mess for hitting the gym (thankfully next week looks good). Will do the stationary bike or a very lite run tonight. I'm going to prioritize the upper body sessions and schedule that for Thursday. Friday = stationary bike. Saturday = a lite trail run (and pull-ups). Sunday = rest. Next week = normal.

The wonky shoulder is recovering from being very tired after Monday's workout. No pain but it felt pretty damn beat. Given that it felt a bit on the edge of over-worked, I'm not going to push the numbers up much from Monday. Slow and steady, slow and steady, slow and steady....

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

:mad: Again with the excuses. Didn't do anything yesterday. No use cryin about it tho. Today I hit the gym for Upper Body session.

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Yesterday, upper body session done as promised.

Today, 40 minutes (total) on stationary bike, every 10 minutes did 20 pushups and 20 crunches (4 sets) and then back on the bike. Wasn't too hard at teh beginning but started feeling pretty entertaining by the last set.

17. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Whatsoever keeps you going is what I say. Nice job.

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

A bit of a topsy turvy weekend but managed to get some workouts in here and there. Pull ups done and did the stationary bike thing yesterday with dips and abs this time.

Won't be able to get in a resistance routine today due to my meeting schedule. Will move upper body session to tomorrow.

This week is back to running time! 'Might' get in a light run this afternoon but will absolutely be out for a run Thurs at noon. Taking a rest has been a necessary evil to let my knees get rested. They're feeling totally back to normal now but seeing all the people out running has been driving me crazy!!!

#78 Sharv, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks Leftyx! Was trying to figure out something cardio-ish to sub in for my running sessions. Stationary bike seemed a bit boring on its own so I thought I'd make it more interesting ;)

20. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Have you thought about changing your running form? There are quite a few studies that show landing on your forefoot to mid foot then lowering your heel to the ground is much easier on the knees and hips. Consider a pair of minimum shoes like newtons or merrils. I would avoid the toe shoes since several people i have talked to have had blister problems between the toes. Or you could be crazy like me and run barefoot. :D.