1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

P90X Legs & Back done this morning. Abs done too. Will do the pull-ups tonight. Knee feeling ok. Overal status report results are good.

Tomorrow is trail running day. Yippee! Will aim for long - slow - steady.

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, the schedule got a bit jumbled over the weekend but c'est la vie. I was feeling pretty tight on Saturday morning after an 8 km run on Thursday and a Legs workout on Friday so decided to take a rest day - rather than push things with a long trail run in not-so-great-shape.

Did the trail run on Sunday instead. I haven't calculated the distance yet but I'm guessing around 12 or 13 km (turns out it was 13.5 kms). A solid 1 1/2 hours of running with a few hills thrown in and the usual monkey bar finish. After runing that far the bars felt damn hard and I struggled my way across the kiddie aparatus :lol: - I did actually make it tho ;) I opted for more of a pure run since I have a 9 km trail race in 2 weeks. The race course is quite a bit hillier (is that a word cause it doesn't look right?) than my training runs so I figured I better push things along distance-wise. I also noticed that the Spartan Workout-of-the-Day was to go for a run for 1 - 3 hours anyway and so I decided to try for a longer effort time-wise. The Mudder and the Beast end up being about 3-hour efforts so I do need to start pushing cardio endurance times anyway. In sum it was a tough effort (translation - holy crap!).

That big ol' run combined with a late night out on Sunday has buggered things up a bit for today (Monday) as well. So..... I'll get the pull-ups and Abs done today but will push the Chest and Back to Tuesday (along with the usual noon-hour run). Rode the bike in to work today but no extra kms (so 10 km in and then 10 km home).

#42 Sharv, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Ramblings of Self Doubt

I must admit to feeling some doubt about things. I feel like I've still got such a long way to go and damn this feels like work sometimes. Call it a what-have-i-got-myself-into feeling combined with a bit of who-am-i-kidding-i-can't-do-this. At the moment, the road ahead looks like a feakin massive mountain. So massive I can barely see the top and I'm looking back and it just doesn't look like I've made enough of a dent in this crazy journey. I'm making headway and moving forward but this is one hell of a lot father (and steeper) than I thought when I started. At the moment I'm not feeling energized like I think I should just kinda drained. Maybe its just the rough Sunday run and not enough sleep talking. Arrrghh! Hoping this upcoming trail race will pull me up out of this funk of doubt. That will be an accomplishment unto itself so I should just shut the heck up and focus on this next goal! :mad:

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Chest & Back done this morning and biked to work - just the usual 10 and 10. Did a 6 km boot camp run at lunchhour. Kept up a bit better with the Ironwoman and Fitness Trainer Man but couldn't quite pace them. Great workout though!!! I am now officially damn tired. Oh, nearly forgot I have to ride my bike home....neato :)

Abs and Pull-ups done yesterday.

Tomorrow is Arms & Shoulders, Abs and Pull-ups.

Feeling a little less overwhelmed today. Trying to focus on the next steps and not too far down the road.

#44 Sharv, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Arms & Shoulders done this morning. Feeling overall tired from yesterday but no joint pains so all's good. Will do Abs and Pull-ups later today. Rode the bike - no extra kms so 10 and 10.

Tomorrow will be a noon hour road run.

Thinking forward to my trail race on the 27th, I'll have to tweak the training schedule a little bit in the week prior to the race (next week). Definitely will do only a lite version of the usual Friday Legs & Back session and Thursday's run will be an easy paced effort (not boot camp or tempo) but otherwise the week can stay the same.

6. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You're doing good. Good luck with your race :tu:

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks kindly for the encouragement TooMuch! I'm looking forward to the Trail Race coming up. I figured it looked like a good challenge on its own but a good step on the overall path as well. Thx!

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Got the Abs and Pull-ups done yesterday. Struggled with the last 2 Pull-ups of the last set tho. Arms were pretty tired from the other workouts I've put them through. Got 'er done tho!!!

Just going for a run at noon today. No biking to work or anything else. Just a run ;)

Discovered a new gym opened up a couple blocks from my house focusing on CrossFit. They've got some free trial classes so I might drop in and give it a go. In a few months it'll be snowing here anyway so being inside for a month or two might be nice. Can't really go wrong with 'free'. :)

#48 Sharv, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Decided to do sprints for my run yesterday. 10 min warm up. 10x1min speed alt with 10x1min light jog (on grass) 10 min cool down. I probably should have just done 8 since I felt wrecked when I was done :lol:. Did a bit of core work for the hell of it later inthe day.

Legs & Back done this morning. Felt pretty entertaining since I did sprints yesterday but got 'er done. Pull-ups & Abs later today.

Tomorrow = trail run :). Will go for LSD like last week - 13.5 km with a couple hills and monkey bars wrap up.

10. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

LSD?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

LSD = long slow distance :lol:

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Knee feeling a bit sore so shifting trail run to tomorrow. Tried my first CrossFit class today. Amazing how quick I tired myself out and felt like I was going to hurl. :). Maybe I'll integrate into my routines in future. Very challenging indeed!

Very, very excited about running my first trail run next week. Hoping it goes well :)

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Just finished trail runnin. Super proud of myself. Ran 2 hours and covered 17 kms nice and steady with six hill climbs. I think that's the farthest I've ever run! Ever! Period!!! I wasnt breaking any speed records but it went great. Jeez I might even be able to do a half marathon some day. Yay me!! :tu:

#53 Sharv, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  14. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You can do it :tu: 17 km is almost half marathon :nod:

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks TooMuch! I looked it up and realised a half marathon is only (ha ha ha) a few more kms - 21 kms. That's been on my bucket list for ages and now its feeling much more attainable. I might have hit about 14 or 15 kms when I was in my 20's, so yesterday felt pretty amazing (20+ years later!).

I forced myself to take 1 minute walks here and there in a more disciplined fashion than usual and it seemed to go very well. I was surprised I had the gas in the tank to get the distance done with the hill climbs thrown in. I was going out with the family that day too and had to pour it on at the end to get home on time (or else face the wrath of wifee) :lol:. Maybe I'm on to a new motivational tool for training and events??? :D

I feel pretty wrecked today (understatement!) so I'm taking a 'recovery day'. Thankfully no joint pains just overall smashed (in a good way).
    So.... Rode the bike to work - no extra kms - to loosen up a bit after Sunday's run. I'll do the Abs and Pull-ups tonite.

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Pull-up challenge mid-point assessment.

The on-line program was a 6-week plan. I've made progress but I found I was really struggling on the last reps in the last sets last week (Week 3 of the program). Still doing well overall though. However, prior to proceeding to Week 4, I'm going to do an interim Week which essentially adds a couple reps here and there to the Week 3 sets before proceeding back to the scheduled program at Week 4. After I finish it all up, I'll take a couple of days off and test the max to see how it all worked out. Hoping to get the max up to 20 by late November. If I can actually improve enough to hit that max, I'll play the future plan by ear. Gotta keep the number increasing as we move through to Spring anyway.

17. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Achilles and shins are still feeling tight so I'm going to pass on going on a run today. Will go for a light one or two as the week wraps up. Did a 'Lite' Chest & Back routine this morning - just keeping it easy for the week.

Will do a 'lite' Arms & Shoulders tomorrow.

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Changed my mind. Shifting Arms & Shoulders to tomorrow. Rode the bike to work this morning with extra kms on the way in - so, 20 kms in and then 10 kms home. Will do Abs and Pull-ups tonite.

Very lite and short run also tomorrow.

Friday rest day but might do some Core exercises.

Just realized my road running shoes are too old and need to go (probably a contributig factor to the shin soreness I've been experiencing). So, gonna go shopping for new shoes. My trail shoes are only a couple months old so no worries there. I love those things ;)

Saturday, trail race day! Yippee! In all honesty, I shouldn't have done such a major distance this past Saturday but its too late now. I'm my own worst enemy. Legs are just starting to feel back to normal (maybe 80%). D'oh. Note to self, don't do that again. :rolleyes:

#58 Sharv, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Two words - stomach flu. :( Getting better-ish - at about 80%. Its turned into a total rest week. :(:(.

Trail race day tomorrow. Sadly, this week hasn't gone according to plan at all but I should be well enough to run tomorrow. I won't be running it as strong as I was hoping but I'm still looking forward to it. Besides, I get a nice shirt :lol:

Next week, I'll be back at it but I'm going to take the running back a notch before building it back up slowly.

20. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did my first trail run yesterday! Last race of the year in the 5 Peaks Series. 9 km of twists, turns and hils all in the rain with mud, roots and rocks. Did it in just under an hour which I guess puts me mid field or latter mid field somewhere. Glad I did it though it was alot of work! Alot harder than i expected which makes me glad i did it. Pretty tough on the legs and cardio. Whew! One of my calves seized up at 7 kms as well but I soldiered on. My legs are going to be complaining in a serious way later today!!! Great event and great people!

Active rest day and icing leg parts.