1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Just did 1/2 Arms & Shoulders workout this morning to give my shoulder a rest. Rode the bike to work with a bit of extra kms - 18 km in and 10 km home. Will do Abs tonight.

Off work tomorrow so I get to catch up on some sleep. Will go for a run tomorrow. Hopefully to the track and do intervals or something else creative since there's a massive hill right next to it :D. If I go big on hills, Friday's Legs & Back workout will get changed a bit with a lighter 'leg' emphasis since the hills will be more than enough (never mind the trail running coming up on Saturday).

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Hill run training day. Went to the park with both a track and brutal grass hill. Did 6x400m around the track with an up and down of the hill between each track lap for a total of 5xhill. Whew that hill is a lung and leg blaster!!!

Tomorrow will be a light-legs and back workout with pull ups and abs.

3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Lighter Legs & Back routine done this morning. Felt no joint pain but the legs were dang tired on some of the exercises. Rode the bike to work with some extra kms on the way in - 20 km in and 10 km home. Will do pull ups and abs tonight.

Tomorrow is trail running day. Will do some dips on a few benches as I go and hit those monkey bars again!

4. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Trail running, monkey bars - excellent training for the Toughmudder. I wish I could ride a bike to work. Technically it is possible, but in the suburbs of NJ to Manhattan, I would never get there in one piece. :)

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

A solid trail run this morning on a beautiful Fall day. I'm feeling Thursday's hill session tho - my quads and glutes are so sore I can barely sit :). Well needed rest day tomorrow.

#25 Sharv, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks Shamie! Im loving the trail running. Riding to work isnt so great for me though. I head in really early which is fine but I have to navigate downtown traffic heading home. Hate that part! Tho Manhattan's likely a bit more serious than downtown Toronto ;) Only about a month before its too cold for me and the bike goes into the garage til spring.

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Sunday - successfully rested.

Its the off-week (for lack of a better word) for P90X so no major resistance work for the week. Did a Stretching session in lieu of scheduled P90X Yoga session this morning. Still feeling residual legs stiffness so opted for the stretch instead. Rode extra kms to work so 20 km in and then 10 km out this afternoon.

Tomorrow morning Plyometrics (as much as possible with my low basement ceilings ;)) and a noon-hour 5 km road run at quicker pace. If Plyo isn't going to work out in the bsmt I'll swap it for Core (which I need work on anyway) and I'll fit some Plyo in on my run days (tbd).

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Oops got that wrong. Today is Core Synergistics (not Plyo). Sadly got up a bit late and only got through 1/2 of my routine :(. Will try to finish up the other half later in the day. Going for 5 km run at lunch with the office marathoner/iron woman... looking forward to sore calves.... again :).

6 km run done. At tempo (marathon ironwoman-tempo.....not mine) - whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger lol.

#28 Sharv, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

A low key day. Just regular ride in and out of work 10 km each way. Possible afternoon meeting may mean I only ride in one way today tho. Abs and pull-ups this evening.

Not sure of the schedule for tomorrow.... I think its Core again which is good since I only managed 1/2 of the routine earlier this week.

10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Nope. Not Core today. Wrong again - lol. Today was Stretch. Tomorrow is Core. Didn't follow the P90X routine this morning but did my own routine focusing on various tight spots including my legs which were a bit stiff from Tuesday's tempo run. Rode the bike in to work with no extra kms so 10 km in and then 10 km out tonight since I'm doing some sort of run at noon (I'll update later). Abs and pull-ups done yesterday evening. Don't think I mentioned but I found a much better pull-up routine on-line about a week ago which has added some much needed specificity for me. Basically a 6-week routine with sessions M W F - I printed up the chart and left it in the garage and am dutifully following along. At the mid-point I'll post on this and evaluate progress. Overall routine until early December remains the same.

The run.....well, it was a gut-buster that's for sure :) I went with the office iron-woman but we were led on our happy lunch-hour journey by another office-hard-bod-boot-camp-instructor who created a killer 6 km boot camp run interspersed with step-ups, push-ups, one-leg squats, more pushups, two-leg squats, and planks off park swings. Barely kept up for the whole thing. I'm going to feel this tomorrow! Apparently, they stepped it back a bit since it was my first time with them - lol. Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Unless, of course, it kills me.

#30 Sharv, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Me feel much tired today. Yesterday's run was a killer and I feel totally wrecked today. Yesterday was a great workout but it showed me that I've got a long, long road ahead to get where I'd like to be. If a 6 km boot camp-style run was tough, how's 15 km going to be??? To make it all more exciting my younger daughter was sick all night and I got about 1/2 the sleep I probably needed. So? No workout this morning. Just rode in to work. No extra kms just 10 km in and 10 km out. Will do my Abs and pull-ups this evening.

Tommorrow is trail running day. Ain't missing that!

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Great 10 km trail run this morning. Did 20 dips off each park bench I came across so I think about 8 sets. 2 extra hill trips in the valley and monkey bar set at the end. And lots of mud and creek crossing. NOW I feel totally wrecked :). Tomorrow is rest day and Thanksgiving dinner at my cousin's place. Back to the usual routine next week.

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did lite chest shoulder triceps workout. Had to modify the P90x routine a fair bit to work with my shoulder. Abs done. Pull ups later in the day. Tomorrow noon hour run. Going to follow up with physio later in the week.

14. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Yesterday, did manage to get to the pull ups. Staying with the program and going well. Every time I turn around, one of the recommendations people have in training for mud/obstacle type racing is pull ups, pull ups and more pull ups. Looking forward to see if I can complete this program as designed.

Today = 6 km tempo run at lunch. Biked in to work but with no extra kms - so 10 km in and then 10 km out - wanted to have as much as possible in the tank for noon hour run.

Tomorrow = Back & Biceps, Abs and Pull ups.

15. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

You might want to check out the November issue of Outside magazine. They have a good article on the Toughmudder. The first photo they show is from the Aug 2012 Toronto Toughmudder. That was the only photo with a caption of where the photo was taken, so I think that must mean all of the photo's were from that Toronto Toughmudder, especially since the article gave credit to just one photographer.

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks kindly! I'll have a look :)

17. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Change of pace for today. Yesterday's 'tempo' run was pretty tough on my knees (form was degrading due to the pace as well I think). No major pain but they got worked pretty tough since the pace was harder than my usual. Therefore, I'm going to step away from the P90X schedule today and just do Abs and Pull-ups today (and I don't want to cause an injury and set myself back).

Tomorrow is scheduled boot camp style run at noon too so I don't want to overdo it today either.

Friday will be some kind of upper body resistance routine and then Saturday will be the usual trail run. Will still run off-road on Saturday but may try something new to mix things up a bit ;)

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did pull-ups and Abs yesterday as planned. Did the Abs twice for good measure :) Knee was still a bit tweaky :( Brought my gear for a run today at noon but will be closely monitoring Mr. Left Knee.

I have no idea what's scheduled for tomorrow. This week hasn't been bad workout-wise but has not really followed the plan much. Regardless, some kind of strength work will be done tomorrow (along with Abs and pull-ups as usual).

I'm going to try and stick with the P90X 'conditioning' plan M W F as I've previously described but my work schedule is making it tough. If all else fails I'll switch to gym workouts M W F sooner than planned.

19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

For fun and as part of the overall training plan for next year, I'm signing up for a 9 km (5 1/2 miles) trail running race at the end of the month. Its hilly and technically challenging so it should be a good experience in its own right. I've really been enjoying the trail runs I do each Saturday so I'm very excited to give this race a go. I also think it'll be a good piece in the overal training plan. Its the last race of the 2012 season to a larger trail running series. Depending on my experience in a few weeks, I may consider throwing in a few of these next season. :tu:

20. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did an 8 km run at lunch today. Steady and slow. Was good for the first 5 km but knee started acting up here and there afterwards. Slowed things down more and all seemed well. Guess I'll keep an eye on it and consider Saturday's usual 10 km trail run accordingly. Gonna finish my lunch and then get the ice pack.