1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Very good attitude. At times that can be a real blessing. Like you say when it's -10 degrees and snowing. Great job man and keep on trucking as they say.

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks kindly leftyx. It ain't always easy to stay motivated and its easy to get in a negative rut but I'm trying my best. Cheers!

3. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Good attitude, with that kind of thinking you will accomplish many things :tucool:

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Lets hope I can actually maintain this positivity :lol:

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I'm off to see my physiotherapist in about an hour or so. Exchanged messages yesterday. Explained the pain and current issues and plan for an event tomorrow. She'll assess it but thinks its likely an issue with the peroneal tendons (as do I). Its still in some pain when in certain twisted/stretched positions. We'll have a look at it and see if there's a good way to tape it up and keep it reasonably protected for the Mudder tomorrow. Hoping I get a cautious go-ahead but I'm quite certain the event is going to make things worse and not better. I'm just going to have to really pace myself and bail out on anything that's causing (or likely to cause) pain (probably just about everything :lol:). I'll just grab my headband, t-shirt, and free beer at the finish line and go grab some ice from the med tent. I just can't bail out on something I've been training so hard for (and already piad for as well).

I'm thinking I should have had a jersey made up that said "Powered by Kinesio-tape and Ibuprofen".

6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Physio appointment done. Got the cautious go-ahead and all taped up for support. Got the trouble spot worked over pretty good. I got a vert detailed assessment and so I feel much better about tomorrow. Will have to be thoughtful in my event tomorrow (not the 20-year-old-guns-blazing-charge-without-thought philosophy I was considering previously :lol:). Talk to y'awl post-event!

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Post-Tough Mudder

Wow have I ever been delinquent in keeping up-to-date ;). I've been a bit sidelined on my training due to a sinus infection (which I am thankfully now on meds for) and my ankle (which I am in physio for) so haven't really been thinking about the world of physical activity (and have hence ignored my fitness forum). But I finally got back in the gym today and so here I am!

Well, I survived the Tough Mudder on the 11th. I'm so glad that I went. I really had no idea what to expect and subsequently paced it pretty easy. I felt pretty wrecked near the end but certainly could have gone at it harder. I was sore for a couple of days afterwards but pretty much recovered fully by the following Wednesday. It was a long haul but not as physically demanding as I had expected. This is likely due to me pacing it pretty easy.

The course was at a local ski hill and ran for 16 kms up and down the hill about 6 times. 20 obstacles were scattered throughout. It started out overcast, windy and about 8 degrees (about 45 farenheit) and then cleared up and warmed to about 11 or 12 by the time I finished. Generally the obstacles included climbing walls, rope/wall climb, ice water, crawling under barbed wire, crawling thru live electrical wires, more wading through water, mud, more mud, hills, more hills, crawling thru tunnels and pipes, monkey bars, more electrical, some fire etc etc. The infamous arctic enema (dumpster full of water and about 2 feet of ice cubes) was the second obstacle and I couldn't seem to warm up until at least kilometer 6 or 7. I bailed on the Walk the Plank (near km 6) since I was so wet and cold - for which I feel some shame since I also hate heights and wanted to tackle this one. Otherwise I tried them all. Happily made it over the monkey bars - motivated by a desire to not fall in the water and get wet and cold. I also got brutally electrocuted at the last electrical obstacle to the delight of folks watching the event. The shock litterally dropped me like a sack of potatos. I happily got shocked a few more times as I struggled to get up and move forward. Good times :lol:

Did I enjoy it and would I do it again? Well, it sucked being cold for almost the first half of the race. I attribute this to 2 things (not including the weather) (1) not running consistently afterwards to warm up and (2) poor choice of top. Always go with lite dri-fit or nothing at all. I now realize the shirtless choice isn't just a vanity move for the superfit but actually the best way to go so you aren't stuck with a cold wet shirt for the rest of the race. I had a dri-fit shirt but not as lite as my shorts. Anyway, I had a great time. And, yes, I'd do it again. Heck, maybe this September. It couldn't possibly be any colder and I'd like to do it a bit faster and with authority. :lol: That said, I'm not too keen on getting electrocuted again :confused: Ok, I'll have to think about it and there are other races yet to try too...

I got pretty cut up and bruised but nothing too tragic. So, I'd stick with shorts. Also to avoid the wet cold tights. I took along some fingerless gloves which were great for all the crawling and carrying. I took them off for the monkey bars though (since they were so mucky and wet) and all went well. It seemed about 50-50 on folks with gloves versus none.

So there you have it. I survived to tell the tale. Its a funny feeling now that its done. I started this journal really with this event as the end point but oddly enough it doesn't feel like an end point at all. At this point, I'm thinking about the next events. So, in a way this Tough Mudder was more the motivation to get started and now here we are on this new path.

Next up, Spartan Sprint in June. 6 km and 15+ obstacles on another hilly course. Again, running with the O Course Team. Looking forward to kicking ass and taking names :tu:.

#267 Sharv, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Road the bike back and forth to work on Monday. Hit the gym for an upper body session on Tuesday. Hit the treadmill and the rowing machine yesterday (getting the ankle back into running). Road the bike to work today and hit the gym for an upper body session. Getting back on track....:tu:

#268 Sharv, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Friday. Rode the bike to work with some extra kms on the way in. 26 kms to work and then 10 kms home again.

Will try and get an actual outdoor run done this weekend. Nothing major but gotta get the ankle back to work.

Going south on vacation next week. Lots of fun in the sun planned. Hope to get some 'workout swimming' done each morning too. We'll see how that goes.