1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

It was a beautiful day and I decided to skip my morning run yesterday and go at lunch with my ironman, marathon runnin' co-worker gal (I knew she'd push me). Perfect idea! It was fantastic outside and she pushed the pace (for me anyway :lol:). I knocked off 8 km in just over 40 minutes. That's at a faster pace than any previous 5 km's I've run so it all turned out great. I kept up and wasn't dying so I'm very, very happy about the outing.

I'm going to make today my rest day and then back at it over the weekend. This has been a very good running week for me. I did 12 kms on the trails this past Sunday, ran 10 kms to work (carrying my pack with clothes and lunch at -4 degrees) on Tuesday, and then yesterday's 8 km at a new, faster pace for me. I've kept up with 100 crunches each morning and did a solid upper body workout on Wednesday. Got to finish it off right and do my pull-ups tonight (which have been lacking). And that'll do it. Just awesome! :tucool:

Tomorrow will be either hills or trails. Probably hills.

Sunday will do a lower body session.

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

12.75 kms of hills on the road. Solid, exhausting effort.

Sunday off - going on a day trip with the family. Monday, upper body session is on the schedule but I'm feeling sick so I'm going to take a pass I think. Dang! Will get back on schedule as soon as possible. Hoping to run the O Course this weekend as well. Want another shot at those obstacles but need plenty of recovery / training time before the Mudder in May.

#242 Sharv, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Ugh. Been off training and sick with the flu since last Monday. Maddening!!! :mad: I should have been ramping it up and instead was sick as a dog. Finally got out for a lite 5 km run this morning. Didn't feel fantastic but it didn't suck completely either so I think I'll be back on track now.

I've been sticking with the daily crunches despite being sick. Did 100 each morning for the last 3 weeks and have now upped it to 200. Usually have to do it in several smaller sets like 30 or 40 at a time but its going very well and helping my core strength. I usually mix up the Ab exercises to get various areas worked. I used to only be able to do 25 at a go so I'm happy with this.

I haven't had the strength while sick to do the pull ups but I'll give it a go tonite and get back on track here as well. Less than 4 weeks until the Tough Mudder so this MUST IMPROVE.

I couldn't run the O Course last weekend as I was totally sick. I'm hoping to give it a go this weekend though. I'm holding off until Thursday night to decide. I did go down to the event last weekend with my daughter to show her what it was all about. I got a chance to monkey about on the obstacles without any pressure or people around. I managed to get the knack of rope climbing and knocked it off 3 or 4 times so I'm super excited to realise this isn't so impossible. :tu: Finally figured out to use my feet and clamp the rope. WAY less effort than trying to man it up using only your arms. Anyway, was fun poking about and trying different techniques on the obstacles. I was too dead tired to manage the monkey bars though.

Anyway, will do pull ups tonight. Tomorrow will hit the gym for an upper body session. Lite run on Friday and possibly the O Course on Saturday.

Yee haw! :claphigh: So happy to be bakc at it!!!

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Solid upper body session done today. Still not 100% yet but getting closer each day.

Tomorrow will be a lite and short run. Will do the O Course on Saturday or a trail run if I'm not up to it.

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, I felt a wee bit gross when I woke up but felt better and better as the first hours of the morning ticked by. I'm making it an easy day and will run the O Course tomorrow. Sadly its gotten cold again and will be only slightly over the freezing mark all day on Saturday. I figure this is my last chance to run the O Course before the Mudder (which is only 3 weeks away). :eek:

I figure the O Course is worth doing again for a couple of reasons:

(1) I want to do better than last time. I now have a better idea of what I'm in for (basically a complete and utter ass-whooping) and can pace myself better. Also, I couldn't do a few obstacles the first time and want to see if I can do it this time round. The first time I couldn't even get up the rope at all. Now, after monkeying around on it a bit, I know I can do it! All technique baby!!!

(2) I don't think I can beat the functional training that comes with doing this class. Its actually way more than is necessary to be honest. Great overall workout but great chance to try various challenges that are directly applicable to obstacle racing - running, calisthenics, wall climbs, tire drag, weighted sniper crawl, rope climb, monkey bars, etc etc etc....

(3) Its a great psychological boost. I felt great having completed it last time. I know I can do it again. I also feel better about doing the Tough Mudder after having run the O. A few folks at the last class I attended in March had run the O Course and done the Mudder and all of them felt the O was harder. More running in the TM but the O was physically tougher. That's an enourmous mental boost.

(4) All humilty aside, its bragging rights :lol:. No one I know puts themselves through this much of a beating. I'm a 44-year old running a miltary-style, 2 1/2 hour, Saturday morning, boot camp ass-kicking in freezing temperatures. All in the name of training. Hah in your face you slackers!!! Uh rah!!!! :lol:

Upon reflection, #4 is pretty much an extension of #3 which together raise my level of mental toughness. I don't consider myself tough in the least. I don't consider myself particularly athletic either. I never have. Likely a long-standing inferiority complex that's been my dark passenger since childhood. I'm not a big guy and often feel kind of invisible. I've been fairly physically active my whole life. I've accomplished some modest challenges but nothing epic or noteworthy I suppose - not that this is a requirement for everyone, like some kind of checklist that must be achieved before death. With all the training I've been doing I'm certainly stronger than I used to be (though not as stong as I might wish I could be). Most important, I'd like to think I'm getting stronger psychologically. I'm never going to be an imposing physical specimen - no matter how much I might wish for that - but it would be nice to become just plain mental-grit tough. Able to just keep on powering along through adversity. A rock. I've trained outside in snow, ice and rain and at temperatures as low as -12. I've run the O Course at -4 which would turn off a pretty substantial percentage of people. I'm not at the level I want to be yet and I don't really know what it'll take to ever get me there (if anything will other than a personal epiphany). But in some way I think I'm becoming a stronger person for all this. Notwithstanding the training and accomplishments, I'm still quite terrified of the Tough Mudder. Excited too but pretty terrified. It represents many things that I fear and would generally avoid. To be able to complete it will be a major event in itself and I hope a very big step in an exciting future journey of self-fulfillment. Onwards we go. Course correction laid in.

#245 Sharv, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

You're definitely tough. Tougher than...I'll go on a limb and say more than 95% of the population (including me!)

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks very much for the compliment Silver! I don't know if I'm 'tough' yet but I'm certainly more 'durable' than I used to be :lol:

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, at the moment things are certanily topsy turvy.

Maybe, it was a bad idea to run the O Course again this past weekend.

On the plus side, I finished it and did better on some of the obstacles like a had wanted to. Gotta think it all makes me stronger too. I got farther on the monkey bars (about 3/4 of the way) (or commando bars as the drill sergeant refers to them) but couldn't make it all the way - just so damn beat before I even got there. I gave it a couple of tries but just couldn't do it. Damn. I did make it up the rope though. I also learned that gloves are a pain in the ass for these things. They're fine for crawling in the muck but terrible for gripping bars and climbing. I had some coated gloves that would be perfect but found I could get a better grip bare-handed. That being the case, gonna have to train a bit more bare-handed to get the calluses good and tough. Just used to using gloves in teh past given the cold weather I've been training in. Now its getting warm and I guess I had better change things up.

On the negative side, I feel totally wrecked. I wasn't quite over the flu and now its hit me back with a vengence. I'm hoping yesterday was the worst of it and that I'll be back on track by Thursday. This flu has been a HUGE training killer. I've been off schedule for almost 2 1/2 weeks with only another 2 1/2 weeks until the Tough Mudder. I should be peaking as we speak and instead I'm recovering from a flu. What a bummer. It'll be interesting figuring out the training plan once I get healthy. Basically ramp up super quick and them taper - all in 2 weeks. Ha ha!

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Back at it today. Couldn't resist the improving weather.

Ran an easy 4 km first thing in the morning. Then hit the gym for an upper body session.

Energy level isn't back to normal yet...sadly. The run was a bit tougher than I expected but not totally miserable. The gym was fine except I still have a few tender ab muscles from all the coughing this week (who would have thought I was getting an ab workout while I had the flu :lol:).

Onward we go...I guess. I'll try for a longer, slow, steady trail run tomorrow. Sunday, hoping to work on my obstacle skills and run through some monkey bars, walls, hurdles and rope climbs. The weather is looking totally great for the weekend!!!

I'm still going to drop into the clinic and get checked out since this cough is still lingering. I'm not wrecked like I was but I'm not at 100% either. Given that the Mudder is now only 2 weeks away I'm going to take a bit of a gamble and get back into training. I really only have about 1 week to get back into things and then I'll have to be tapering back for the event. Probably not too dangerous of a gamble since tehe weather is improving in a serious way. Who knows (fingers crossed!!!). I'm not too happy how these last few weeks have turned with so much training for months previous. But still, its only one race and I can always run it again in the Fall. :tu:

10. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

What day is the TM?

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Saturday May 11th :scared:

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Took a rest day on Saturday.

Trail run 12 km on Sunday. Beautiful sunny day with some mud left from the previous week's rain. Felt exhausting climbing the hills and stairs but I pushed myself as much as possible. A couple 'fordings-of-the-river' (just to ensure people still thought I was crazy :lol:) and some dips on the park benches. Not much for pace but was aiming to just be out there and working hard.

Monday (yesterday) hit the gym for an upper body session. For added entertainment I warmed up on the stationary bike and the rowing machine and then closed the session the same way. Funny I didn't seem to have the same energy level on the rowing machine at the end of the routine as I did at the begininning :confused:...;)

Got up a bit too late this morning so will do a 5 km run for speed after work. Knocked off 4x50 prisoner squates while making breakfast.

Trying to really push myself and get back into shape after having been sick and off schedule for what seems like ages. I totally feel off my game. Also feeling a bit in the dumps that perhaps I haven't been pushing myself hard enough from teh beginning or perhaps haven't focused things quite the right way. I'm certainly fitter than I was 6 months ago but not kick-ass fit in the way I hoped I would be. There's certainly still work to be done. I aim to keep on training and improving, I only wonder if I was diong the best I could or doing the right (optimal) things. I know I've improved a tonne from where I used to be so I should be content and shut up now.

There's another TM in September so I'm going to keep on training thru the Summer, do some other sprint-type events and see if I can improve some more. I'll still do alot of the same I suppose but I'll add more functional strength and conditioning (e.g. calisthenics, monkey bars, crawls, rope climbs, carries, etc) as well as more interval/sprint work.

Onward (and almost healthy...lets say 85%)

13. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Had to google that term. :)

14. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I am bad and have neglected my training. :( Just too dang much going on and couldn't find time yesterday for a run. I can't miss any more days!!! I hereby shame myself. :nope:

Going for a run today at noon with my ironman runner friend. That'll kick my ass back into shape! Will go to the park after dinner with the kids and do some functional strength training and sprints. Lets call it playground crossfit.

Tomorrow = gym for an upper body session.

Saturday = hill run 10km (or non-technical 10km trail run)

Sunday = more functional training crossfit style

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Went for my run at noon about 6 kms. Good solid pace with some plyometrics and calisthenics thrown in here and there (box jumps, dips and squats). Damn warm outside. I'm so used to running in the early morning. Probably a good thing to get in a session under different conditions. :tu:

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Went to the park yesterday evening and did some calisthenics and sprint work. Not as much as I wanted but better than nothing. Experiencing a bit of pain in one of my feet so porbably best to take it easy.

Hit the gym this morning for a solid upper body session.

Will try and get some runnig in this weekend as planned. Got a few family obligations so it it'll be fun trying to fit it in. Also got to watch this ankle pain so may shift the distance run until Sunday.

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Feeling good? Less than a week to go!

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

:eek:

Well, the virus from hell is almost gone. It seems to be doing the rounds in town and it just stays around forever. Thankfully I'm probably at about 95% now and should be 100% by the weekend. Just in time :lol:.

Unfortunately, I had a bit of a flare up in one of the tendons in my right ankle :rolleyes:. I've previously had a flare up in the left so this isn't something new....unfortunately. So, in bad news, I've been avoiding running the last few days to let it cool down by race day - and icing it and taking anti-inflamatories when needed. The foot beds in my trail running shoes have worn right down so I didn't have much arch support (I have brutal high arches). High arches can compound problems with this particular tendon which ties into the arch and runs outside the foot. Anyway, got new foot beds which I'll take for a test drive on Thursday & Friday - a couple of little jogs before race day. I've switched to riding the bike at the moment to keep the cardio up and I went swimming last night as well (exhausting). Also will see my physio ASAP and get some instruction on taping it before the race to give it some additional support.

Anyway, the ankle feels a bit better today so I'm confident it should be back to normal in another day or so. Cutting it pretty close :lol:

I'm feeling better today mentally. I've been up and down like a yo-yo with this stupid flu and now my ankle. Its wrecked my training for the last month. I've been pretty bummed that I'm not going to do as well as I hoped. Now that I'm starting to feel healthier and the weather is nice, my attitude is improving. Maybe my physical condition won't be as I'd hoped but the mental part should be ok. I've just gotta remember I've run the O Course twice and trained outside all Winter long and that I can soldier on through it!

Assuming this experience isn't absolutely horrible :lol:, I'm already thinking of the Tough Mudder that's running in September. The race this weekend will be my first obstacle race - oddly its also dubbed the toughest :doh:- so I'm going to try and just have fun and treat it as a bit of a recon mission for future events. The weather looks pretty much perfect - clear and in the upper teens. I'm just going to pace myself, do my best and help other folks out wherever I can. The main goal is to complete it and get that damned headband. No coming home without the headband!!! :nono:

Time to go hit the gym for an Upper body session!

19. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

So you're doing 2 TM's this year?

20. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Sure, why not? :lol:

They've got 2 weekends of the TM running up here in Toronto due to demand. This coming weekend and then again in late September - basically a Spring and then a Fall session. I'm quite grumpy about how last month has gone and have some regrets about things I could have done a bit differently in my training. September is a ways away so why not do it again? Assuming this Saturday doesn't kill my enthusiasm (which I doubt) or that I get totally wrecked (possible and I am a bit concerned for my wellbeing but I'll try and be careful ;)), I'll sign myself up for it again. Hell, I've heard of folks doing the TM back-to-back in the same weekend and even the same day!!! Not a chance of that for me but I think (hope) I'll be ok with a 4-month break between races :lol:.

Despite my earlier comment, I'm not altogether unhappy with my training over the last several months. I've really enjoyed the highly varied training. Never a dull moment which has been great in keeping me motivated. I can foresee new and exciting challenges and I'm increasingly motivated by the many people I've already met and their amazing stories and abilities. Nowhere to go but up.

I was on-and-off physically active over the last 10 years (or so...) and these last 8 months have been the most active I've been since my early 20's. Its taken a bit of a toll and my body is probably wondering wtf is going on. I've learned some important lessons about training my 40+ year old body (and much is left to learn) but I have also come to believe that many things are possible. Things I would never have dreamed of doing before. With time and training I believe that I can do almost anything. Anyone can :nod:.

Some folks seem impressed that I'm running the TM. And honestly that feels nice but I'm really not going to be dominating it the way I would like. I'm just hoping to complete it quite frankly. It'll be my first time and I hope that it will be the first big step in an interesting journey of future accomlishments.

I've become a very big fan of the motivational saying, "I will do today what others won't so that tomorrow I will do what others can't." An especially good thought when you go outside at 4:30 a.m. for a run while its -10 and snowing :burr: