1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Plenty of folks that know me think I'm nuts but more based upon personality :lol:

It wasn't really _that_ bad.

To be honest, I've got the O Course coming up in just over a week and I'm completely terrified. Seems like half the class is made up of people 1/2 my age and working as cross-fit instructors or something. I'm trying to ramp things up this week and taper next week in the hopes that I don't get totally schooled in the first 10 minutes of the 3-hours. :eek:

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Today was Lower body session day. This morning's workout was kinda all over the place and not according to plan :( I did do 100 prisoner squats in one shot though so it wasn't all bad! Ah well, going to make tomorrow a 8 km hills session to get the best workout possible before tapering off next week in time for the O Course (I'm looking for a smiley face for "totally f'ing terrified".....:scared: - close enuf).

Happy to note I'm still feeling tender from my upper body work of the last few days. Good hard workouts :tu:

Next week workouts as follows:

Sunday = rest (I'm going ta need it!!!)

Monday = playground circuit session (lite to moderate) - monkey bars, crawls, tire carry/drag, box jumps etc. Basic intent to run my body thru as many things as possible in a mini-O course way.

Tuesday = Road run 5 km sub 30 mins + abs

Weds = Upper body workout including pull-ups

Thurs = Road run 2 km (EASY) + abs

Friday = Lite calsthenics + stretch

Saturday = The O Course 3-hour military boot camp obstacle course :scared:

Sunday = probably bed-ridden

3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

9 km hill training session done yesterday. A wee bit farther than intended but the weather was good and it was feeling good. Nice pacing and solid effort. Sunday is rest day.

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Playground / park circuit done this morning. 30 mins of running around the field w alternating exercises w each lap incl monkey bars (x3), 50 prisoner squats, 50 jump jax (x2), 20 wide leg jump squats, bear crawls and climb over the chain link fence (x4). Not a crazy pace but a good little workout. Will aim for some time on the stationary bike later today.

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Today was just a short tempo run - 4 km done in 23 minutes. I was previously thinking of knocking off 5 km but that didn't really seem necessary for this week and so I pulled it back a bit. Compared to most 'runners' out there my pace wasn't that fast. Jeez, Marathoners manage some absolutely unbelievable paces and I was only going 4 km :blank:. Easy to get discouraged when you start looking at others.... Anyway, I'm working to speed it up a bit but I also want to increase my distance and avoid injury (so I'm not going to push my luck). So for me, at the moment, I'm working hard to keep my avg pace under 6min/km (a sub-1hr 10 km) so my goal this morning was to complete the 4 km under 24 minutes and I was successful. So, I'm happy with that. It feels pretty tough so I know I'm working it. Its slowly getting better and for the last months no injuries. Baby steps!

Abs tonight.

Tomorrow = Upper body incl pull-ups.

Thurs = very short easy run (think I'll leave the Garmin at home!)

6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Damn.... Forgot to hit the staitonary bike yesterday. Since today was a short 4 km run, I'll hit the stationary bike and do Abs sets in intervals to break the monotony :)

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Boooo.... ran out of day yesterday and didn't hit the stationary like I promised I would :mad: Had to deal with a sick pet and the vet. Did get to the Abs (though not as many as I wanted). Will do the stationary bike and more Abs today!!! Also going to hit the gym for Upper Body session. Looknig for a solid session but no straining allowed!

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body session done at the gym yesterday morning. No craziness but a good solid workout.

This morning did a lite little 2km run. No thoughts on pace, no Garmin. Just out and moving. -7 degrees tho. :eek: Wasn't expecting that! Will do some pull-ups and Abs tonight.

Tomorrow = lite little workout and s-t-r-e-t-c-h. Limber up day.

Saturday = The O Course. 3-hour military obstacle boot camp. The O Course is designed and led by a former US Marine Corps drill sergeant and is modelled after the actual US Marine "O" training course. Oh my! I'm not going to even pretend I'm as fit as I'd like to be for this!!! Oh yes, I am worried. :eek: Most of the folks attending are half my age and twice as fit but I'm going to give it my best effort.

It will hurt and I will want to quit but I will keep going. I won't be first. I might be last. I will make it through to the end, regardless of pace, and hold my head up!!!

Half a league, half a league,
      Half a league onward,
    All in the valley of Death,
      Rode the six hundred.
    'Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns' he said:
    Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
    Cannon to left of them,
    Cannon in front of them
     Volley'd and thunder'd;
    Storm'd at with shot and shell,
    Boldly they rode and well,
    Into the jaws of Death,
    Into the mouth of Hell
    Rode the six hundred.

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

That was, without any doubt, the hardest thing I've ever. 3 hrs of the toughest workout of my life. Boy do I ever hurt today. Not sure anything could have prepared me for yesterday's O Course. I'm not sure it would be correct to say I had fun but I'm really glad I did it. Made it thru which for me was an accomplishment all by itself. I'll give a rundown of the actual workout next entry. To be honest I was tired after 15 minutes lol.

#229 Sharv, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

The O Course

Well, Its Monday and I have a coffee in my hand and its time for a run down fo the O Course. As I speak I can barely bend down to tie my shoes or handle stairs but its all good :lol:

Warm up

The day starts off with getting your rifle (in this case a 3 foot piece of 4x4) which you will have on your person for about the next 2 hours. Learn to love that damn thing. Then its warm up time in a soccer bubble. Tony A, former US Marine Drill Sergeant, then takes the group (somewhere over 100 people) through an exhausting 45-60 min warm up. No talking! Jump lunges, presses, pushups, sit ups, jump pax, running in place etc etc. All while holding that 4x4 over your head. Within 15 mins the groaning and swearing begins as people start hurting. Often as one person breaks form the count starts again. Hold those rifles up high they aren't hats soldiers! It was all good fun but I was getting pretty damn beat 20 mins into it and the day hadn't even got started....

The run

Grab your rifle, get a sip of water, get together, then off for the run. About 7-8 kms carrying that rifle the whole time. About 6 times through the run there are places where you're required to stop and do various exercises under the watchful eye of the staff. So, 30 crunches, 50 jump squats etc. here and there. I noted a number of participants managed to get away with pretty poor rep counting and lousy form while I beat the crap out of myself doing everything as instructed. I was suffering by now and had to slow things down but I did it all and for that I feel a great sense of accomplishment.:nod:

The obstacles

As you return to the start area (still outside - by the way it was -4 and snowing lightly) you can finally dump that rifle then its pulling tires out of the lake on long chains, wall climb, over/unders, monkey bars (I could only get to the top and then lost my momentum and dropped - had to stop for a couple of minutes after that before continuing as I truly thought I wasn't going to be able to make it), sledge hammering into sand, rope climb (again I fail - poor technique, no strength and frozen hands) and running thru tires.

Sand pit

Well, this was the toughest of the day and I was just wrecked by now. Carrying cinder blocks, tires, dragging massive bags of sand, carrying ammo boxes, and plyo pushups. And the hardest of the day without doubt....sniper crawling with a ruck sack full of sand on your back. Tony supervised this one so crap-form wasn't accepted. I was absolutely done and dragged my sorry self for what seemed like 20 minutes on my belly. People tried to cheat and crawl which Tony got to pretty quick. I was so exhausted I couldn't even lift myself to cheat anyway. I got a fair bit of, "you done now! you need a teddy so you can have a little nap soldier!!! move it move move it!"

Summary

The warm up isn't timed but the remainder is. I don't know my time. I was so tired I didn't catch it. :lol: The top finsher, who's a college track captain, just killed the course. He's done it quite a few times and hats off to him. But really hats off to everybody that was there. It was a killer. I was sore during the event itself so needless to say I feel totally wrecked today. Everything hurts!!! But, I had such a great time. It was a real sense of accomplishment. After having done it once, I have a better sense of what to expect and know I could do it better the next time. I will absolutely give it a go again but we'll give my aching body a while to recover.

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Whoa. Why did you put yourself through such misery. I can understand the object to get in shape. But these people are SADISTS. :rolleyes: Great job for finishing. You're a better man than I. :lol:

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

As I sit here typing with aching shoulders, I wonder, "why did I do that to myself?" :lol: Its marketed as a training course for obstacle racing events but with the caveat that their idea is to train harder than the event itself. I also went into it to see where I was fitness-wise for the Spring races I want to do. I can certainly see a few weaknesses and I'll adjust my training a bit to address them as best I can. I'd like to try it again and see if I could do better now that I have a better appreciation for it.

Thanks for the kudos! I feel pretty wrecked but I went there with the idea I would finish it and try everything. I sure wasn't anywhere near finishing first but I had alot of fun.

Now.....to see if I can find some friends to go with me next time :lol:

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Got back to business this morning and logged 5 km on the treadmill. I was hoping to get outside for the run this morning but was just dead tired and opted for some more sleep (which was probably the better choice). I haven't been on the treadmill in ages. It was so damn easy compared to slogging away outside in sub-freezing temperatures.

Tomorrow should be either upper or lower body session. Frankly I can't decide which one to do yet so I'll wait until tomorrow to make a choice. Upper back and shoulders remain exhausted and sore today. Of course, so are my thighs.... :confused: One will be on Weds and one will be on Friday however it all works out. Upper body work will be at the gym though where I have access to a broader variety of weights etc. Lower can be at home since the routine is largely body-weight related. Both will likely have to be a bit easy until the body is back to normal. Thursday will be a run day and Saturday will be trail running day.

14. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Just about back to normal today after this past weekend's event. That's nice news :)

Lower body session done yesterday evening. Shoulders were still feeling pretty tired so opted for the lower half first :lol:. Did about 80% of my usual routine since I was aiming for a run this morning.

5 km run done this morning. About -5 and managed my fastest 5 km to date 26:55. Nothing amazing for the regular runners out there but I was aiming for a 27:30 and was happy to see I comfortably got below that. Maybe a sub 25:00 isn't so impossible after all? It would be great if that could eventually translate into a sub 50:00 10 km. One day!

Tomorrow will be upper body session. Will probably opt to do it at home. Higher reps with low weight. Satuday = trail run 10 km. Sunday = rest. Monday = playground circuit....

As an aside, I am now doing 50 crunches per morning and I usually thro them into most of my other routines so separate Abs routines won't usually get posted any more.

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Made Saturday the rest day and then did 10 km of hill training on Sunday.

Today was supposed to be my playground circuit train but I had a terrible sleep and didn't have time for it this morning. :( I'll do a lower body resistance workout tonight and do the circuit tomorrow.

Feeling a bit gross this morning....hoping a flu isn't coming on :(

#235 Sharv, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Flu hasn't settled in but I feel off and tired. Taking a break from training for a bit until I'm feeling better. Bummer :(

17. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body session done at the gym yesterday. Ran my quickest 5 km training run this morning in 26:35. Have upped the daily abs to 100 per day. Generally I'm doing 4x25 but I'm working my up to 2x50. Schedule is going to be a bit wonky over the long weekend w family visiting. Will try my best.

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Took yesterday as a rest day. Ran 12 km this morning on the trails. Great to be hitting the trails again. Been a while.

19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I've been keeping up with my daily 100 abs exercises but failed to do my Lower Body or Upper body session yesterday. Boo! :nono:

Ran to work today tho. 9.5 kms with my backpack full of lunch and workclothes. It was -4 with a headwind but I soldiered onward. :tucool:

Tomorrow will do Upper session at the gym.

20. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body session done this morning.

Tomorrow will be a medium distance run (according to the schedule). However, the weather is getting nice so I 'may' dust off the bike to ride back / forth to work. I say 'may' since tonight is a busy night and I'm not sure I'lll have the time to sort out the gear and give the bike a quick tune-up. If all else fails, I'll run and get a start on getting the bike ready and the garage cleaned up a bit. Despite the fact its warming up, its still pretty damn cold for bike-riding (for me) at 6 a.m. Its getting there though.