1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Apparently much more tired than I gave it credit. :lol: I struggled like hell on my 5 km run this morning and just couldn't pick up the pace enough to get it under 30 minutes. Came in at 31:05. I knew I was on the edge the whole time and just couldn't squeeze a little more effort. I felt wrecked at the half-way mark and walked for about a minute which gave me a bit more gas but only for about a block :lol:. Ah well, I beat the guy on the couch at least.

Will do my Abs and pull-ups tonight.

2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Tomorrow = Upper Body resistance session.

The rest of the week and taking us into March will be as follows...... Thursday will do Abs, pull-ups and an easy 7km run, Friday is Lower Body resistance, Saturday is 12 km trail run (which MUST be on the trails cause I've been spending WAY to much time running on asphalt!!!).

I was originally planning a cycling up for my running thru March to 14 km but the plan will be interrupted by the O Course on March 16th. I'm going to have to treat that 'work-out' as an event and will cycle things back on the week before and then start back up the week after. Will have to revist the plan thru to May to make sure I get the distance up to at least 15 or 16 km. Not too concerned, just have to make some adjustments.

After mid-March and the O Course event, I'll also be adding itermittent exercises back into my distance trail runs including pushups, dips, crawls, climbs, pull-ups, creek-crossing and carries to mimic race event conditions. With the crappy running conditions on the trails, I've accepted that's enough of a challenge (e.g. not wiping out) and haven't bothered with the itermittent calisthenics. Gotta bring these babies back in soon.

3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Got the Abs sets done yesterday but struggled with the pull-ups. I guess my little session in the playground on Monday worked my back muscles quite a bit. I figured those muscles got a good enough workout on Monday and just did one set of pull-ups last night. I'll take the pass and rest the muscles up so I can do a quality set on Thursday!

Today is Upper Body day. Didn't do it this morning (which is my usual routine) since I had to shovel some miserably heavy water-soaked snow! I'll do the workout tonight!

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:curses:

:barf:

The worst. I hate that snow. That's pretty much all we get (when we get any).

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Got more of it last night too :( That frikin stuff will wreck your back on the first shovel throw. Hate it!!! And, yes, it reminds me of home back West :lol:

#205 Sharv, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did an upper body session last night with the free weights. No calisthenics. Thought I'd do something a bit different.

Did 7.5 km run this morning. A bit of a slog in the heavy slushy snow we got last night. I was just planning an easy run anyway with no real stress about pace but it was a tonne of work in the slush. I think it was about 50 minutes. Will do Abs tonight. I haven't been on the stationary bike in a while. Might start doing that in the evenings as a bonus bit of cardio and to keep in biking shape in anticipation of Spring (can it be far _that_ far away?).

Tomorrow is lower body session. I think I'll do my pull-ups tomorrow as well.

Saturday = 12 km on the trails. Will re-introduce calisthenics and other odds and ends through the run.

Sunday = rest-er-oo

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Last night did 30 minutes on the stationary bike and stepped off a few times for Abs (4x25).

a bit pressed for time this morning but got half way thru my Lower body session. Will do the rest and pull-ups tonight.

Keeping my fingers crossed that a trail run is still going to be managable tomorrow with the crappy weather we've had over the last few days. Sadly the temp is creeping over freezing during the day and dropping below at night which might result in conditions that are way too icy on the trails. Might have to be on the road instead :(

8. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

We had a winter like that a few years ago. We got one big dump of snow and then it would warm up to 3 during the day and down to -5 or so during the night and so, for about two months, in the park where I run, the trails were just ICE. I ended up getting some YakTrax and that worked out pretty well (although they're a big uncomfortable.

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well.....the trails pretty much sucked. I tried my best but could only do it for about 5 or 6 km and then had to go back on road. Knocked off 11.5 km total. Trails were ok here and there but mostly ice. Bummer. Pull-ups remain outstanding ;)

10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I keep hoping it'll get better. The trail shoes are pretty good but some yaktrax or micro spikes would have been the way to go today. Only a few more weeks until it starts to warm up. :)

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Sunday I succefully did no training but sadly I partaked (partook?) in a couple of slices of the Costco triple layer chocolate tuxedo cake. I don't have the strength to resist its delectableness. God knows how many calories are in that stuff!!!

Today is Monday. I felt bummed out and possibly suffering a chocolate hang-over and just couldn't bring myself to do anything this morning. I know something must be on the schedule for today. I will complete whatever the 'something' is as the day chugs along.....ah, the 'something' is Lower Body session....

must have morning cup of coffee. Will think more later.

Tomorrow is interval running & Abs.

12. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Minor changes to the workout schedule for March will be the inclusion of a crossfit workout on Tuesdays (every other week) instead of the pure interval run. I'll do a variation on the 'Susan' which will be 5x 200 run, 20 squats, 10 pushups for time (not for time is the warmup and cool down). First one will be tomorrow with Abs later in the day. For the other Tuesdays it'll be 5 km run for time (goal to be under 30 minutes). Effectively, I'm making Tuesday a 'speed building day'.

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Achilles are still tight so I'm moving the 'Susan' to tomorrow. Going to do the Upper session at the gym today for a more fullsome set of exercises.

Thursday = 6 km easy-paced road run & Abs.

Friday = Lower body session & pull-ups.

Saturday = 8 km trail run (easing things back a bit for the O Course next Saturday).

Sunday is rest day.

Next week is continued easing things back for the event (training session? ;)) on Saturday.

Monday = park circuit day.

Tuesday = 5km road run (under 30 mins) & Abs

Wednesday = Upper session

Thursday = 2-3km easy road run & Abs & pull-ups (low and easy reps)

Friday = Lower sesssion (lite)

Saturday = O COURSE!!! :tu:

14. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Nice runs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Thanks kindly. Not where I want to be for distance yet and nowhere close to the pace but I'm getting there.

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Slept in today :mad:. Achilles still a bit tight so will do the Susan tonight and very likely will sub in the stationary bike for the running sections. No quite on-plan but no need to overdo the running since I'm out for a run tomorrow morning anyway. So, instead of the traditional Susan workout I'll do 4 mins on the stationary, 20 squats, and 10 pushups - repeat 5 times then cool down.

Tomorrow morning (come hell or high water) 6 km road run. Nice and easy pace.

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

What's going on with the achilles? Just tight? When did it start?

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Hey there Silver. Everything's is good. It just gets tight especially after running over icy, crappy trails. This past weekend was especially bad and it took a few days to loosen up. I decided to err on the side of caution and give it until today to rest up. It felt fine as wine and today's run went very well.

Despite the fact that I am a slow-learner :), I learned from past mistakes and now give it a bit of a rest if its tight instead of pushing it.

19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did a Susan last night but used the stationary bike instead of 200 m runs. So, maybe its no where near a Susan (for you Crossfit purists out there).

In a nutshell did 5 x

4 minutes on stationary bike (med/hard pace),
    20 prisoner squats,
    10 pushups.

Was sweating buckets from the firstset til the end.

This morning ran a good 6 km in 35 minutes. I wasn't breaking the sound barrier but my goal was to run it under 36 minutes and I did it. Did 50 crunches when I got home for good measure! Pull-ups tonight.

Tomorrow = Lower Body routine

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people would browse through threads here, such as this one, and think that you're nuts.

That sounds hard.