1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Onwards to Adventure!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Holy crap! I feel beat! 2 1/2 hours of snow shovelling yesterday afternoon. I'm hoping to get my run done today but I'm afraid that 25 cms is a bit too much:(. Maybe tomorrow? Going to get out either today or tomorrow. Snow be damned. My schedule says I'm doing 10 km and I'm sticking with it!!!

2. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Well, either way, it's all fast to me! My goal is to get to a 5:45 pace but I'm quite far off of that, so I admire it either way. To even consider keeping up with 4:30 is amazing.

Good luck!

3. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

:claplow: Did my 10 km trail run this morning! It was a tough go in the snow and my pace was terrible but it was one hell of a workout. Took about 1 1/2 hours to get it done. Was trudging thru almost a foot of snow and had a blast! To be honest I didn't really want go and I felt exhausted from all the snow shovelling the previous day. Biggest achievement was just getting out the door.

Having friends over for dinner in a bit. Want a nap!!!

4. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

:claplow: is right. Nicely done!

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

It's been a pretty tough weekend and I'm thinking it would be prudent to make today a rest day. Saturday was supposed to be a rest day but I spent another 2 hrs moving snow around and now my lower back needs a break. I'll shift all the workouts along by 1 day and then compress it or modify at the end of the week. So tomorrow will be my outdoor park circuit day.

6. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Swapping an Upper Body session in to replace a playground circuit today. Too dang icy at the park :(. I still want the park circuits to get done twice this month. Will have to look at the schedule and shuffle a bit.

Week is now looking like:

Today - Upper body session
    Wed - Pullups, Abs, 5 km road run
    Thurs - Lower body session & stationary bike (20 - 25 mins)
    Friday - Pullups, Abs, 6 km road run
    Saturday - Trail Run 12 km
    Sunday - rest

#186 Sharv, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Upper body session = done. My back and the usual f'd-up shoulder are still pretty sore/tired from the stupid snow shovelling so I had to make a few modifications to the routine (and keep it reasonable) but it was better than doing nothing. So, 3x15 pushups, 3x10 upside-down pushups, 3x12 dumbell lawnmowers, 3x7 bicep curls, 3x15 tricep extensions and, for the hell of it, 1x25 weighted prisoner squats.

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

5 km done this morning. Was aiming for a sub-30 minutes but my calves are still killing me and my back is still unhappy - no whining just the facts on body status. Still...got 'er done in 30:52 with a negative split. Will do my pull-ups tonight.

Tomorrow = lower body session.

Pull-ups done 6-6-6-6-6. Form started to suck towards the end but got 'er done!

#188 Sharv, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Lower body session done this morning as follows (x3):

Prisoner squats (30)
    Lunge squats (15 per leg)
    Jumping Jacks (40 regular speed 10 fast as possible)
    Wide-legged jump squats (20)

No calf raises. Decided to give them a break :)

Tomorrow = 6 km road run session (& pull-ups). Reasonable pace since I'm hoping to run 12 km on Saturday. Hopefully on trails but we'll see what the conditions are like.

Ankles / calves are feeling quite a bit better today. That run last weekend in the snow was tougher on my body than I expected. The uneven terrain was alot of work for my lower legs. Not in too rough a shape tho as I've been able to continue with most of the scheduled workouts. Lower back also remains pretty grouchy after that silly snow shovelling. Again, it was tougher on my body than I expected. Getting better. Waiting on Abs sessions until its a bit more loosened up.

Trying to continue training smarter and not injure myself. I'm enjoying this new workout schedule (despite the minor adjustments I've made this week) - should be right on schedule next week tho. I've set up next month in draft and thought through April as well. It should work very well in building towards the May 11th Tough Mudder. I'll get my running distance comfortably up to 14 or 16 km which is the event distance. I think my fitness & ability-to-get-thru-the-obstacles should be pretty good as well. At this point, I've charted a path of slow and steady improvement up to race day. I was way too optimistic / agressive back in the Fall and needed to chart things out more reasonably. Will be doign the O Course in March which should test out fitness and obstacle abilities and I can tweak things accordingly after that. Will probably race with them on event day as well. :tu:

Hmmm..... I didn't actually plan to type this much today :lol:

10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

New toy update! :lol:

Picked up a new trail / hydration pack at MEC yesterday. Fits great and anxious to try it out this weekend. :D At a 10 km distance I'm not really 'dying' for water but as the weather starts to get warmer and the distance increases it would be nice to have the occasional sip. Heck, at 10 km it would be nice to have something to drink!!! Also picked it up for the occassional run to work with my clothes packed along (10 km fyi). Ive run to work ages ago with a regular small pack but things bounce all over the place and drive me crazy! It'll be good for biking too.

Anyway, I bought a Gregory Wasatch with a Platypus Hydration 1.8 l kit. Lots of pockets with various straps to synch it tight. Fits nice and snug to the body. Should work well - has lots of positive reviews anyway. So, we'll give it a test run this weekend. I'll load up the water and away we go.

Post-test review coming this weekend!

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

6 km road running done this morning. Brutal headwind for the 3 km out but a nice tail wind coming back. Done in about 37 mins working at slightly over 80% max HR. Will do pull-ups during the day. Tomorrow is 12 km trail run.

12. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

How'd the trail run go? I heard it was cold out there today. [I went golfing]

Nice pack. I'm thinking of getting a really slim style hydration pack at MEC but am waiting to see if I trail run enough to make it worth it. I have a couple of slightly larger ones that I use when cycling but, if running, I want it slim and fitted.

Good job on pushing through with your workouts. Do you think maybe your pullups are adding to your shoulder pain?

13. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Quite a bit of days missed here. Decided to go away for a few days over the family day weekend....

Saturday was brutally icy on the trails (and not much better on the roads or sidewalks) so had to switch up to a road run. Not really preferred by the sustained aerobic effort isn't really a bad thing. However the sustained pounding on the pavement isn't so great for my knees so NOT something I want to be doing very often. Anyway, knocked off 12 km at an average pace around 6 min/km. Hit a rough patch around 8 or 9 km and had to walk (unscheduled) a minute (or so....) but was ok afterwards.

I took the new pack along with the hydration unit loaded up and a few odds and ends in the pockets. Felt great and hardly noticed it was there. However..... since it was at least -5 the water froze in the spout so after about 4 km I couldn't drink anything :lol:. I wasn't that thirsty anyway. Note to self, hydration pack not much use in freezing weather.

I was hoping I'd still get my upper body workout done yesterday but got stuck in horrible traffic coming home and didn't get to it so I'll have to double it up today (Monday).

This morning did 5 km road run and very happily got in under 30 minutes. Was still feeling pretty tired from the 12 km on Saturday so I'm happy I was able to get the 5 km done in 29:40. 12km will be the 'longest' run for this month. Will cycle it back a notch and then work to 14 km for next month. That leaves another cycle to make the race distance of 16 km. As mentioned before, these long runs will 'typically' get done on the trails.

Will do Upper Body session tonight and Abs.

Tomorrow = Lower Body session and pull-ups 4-4-5-5-6-6-7.

#193 Sharv, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  14. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Well, as per my previous post, I couldn't hit the trails on Saturday. The temps had been hovering around freezing all week and had turned everything into a cruchy, icy mess. Had to hit the road instead. :( Golfing in Van would have been waaaayyyyyy nicer :)

The pack worked very well for the first time out. I look forward to using it when its hotter outside when the hydration unit is more useful. It was lightweight though and would probably work great when I'm either running or biking to work and carrying gear along.

Thanks on the congrats for pushing through with the workouts. I try my best but usually come up short on keeping with my weekly planned schedule. :(

I'm not sure if the pull-ups are aggravating the shoulder pain. I don't think they are. Generally, the shoulder injury seems ok with 'pull' exercises but not happy with certain 'push' exercises. This is fairly typical, I believe, with what has been diagnosed as a long head bicep tendon injury. Generally, it seems I can lift a dishwasher but injure myself reaching to turn off the snooze button. :lol: My upper body resistance work has to be pretty carefully tailored accordingly. At the moment its feeling pretty good which is probably related to recovery time from the big batch of snow-shovelling. In physio I've been advised to continue working the shoulder (then ice it afterwards) to build strength but to be careful. Some pain is apparently ok but the snow shovelling was totally overdoing it. :lol:.

#194 Sharv, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  15. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Dang, fell off the wagon and missed yesterday's workout. Woke up late and missed this morning's as well. Boo! Too many meetings at work so I can't catch up during the day. Will aim to get at least something done tonight despite other things on the 'to do' list.

16. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Hmm..... I'm a bit off track. Did some Abs work (2 sets) and body weight squats (1x75) this morning but that's it. Decided to skip the run and recover a bit more before launching into my next cycle-up starting on Saturday. Also easing up to let my shoulder fully recover from the snow shovelling. It isn't 'bad' but a bit of extra rest would be a good idea. I'll consider what to do this evening and tomorrow but will be back on the schedule on Saturday. I really should make Sunday a "stretch" day.

Chanting to self....'slow and steady improvement'....'stay injury free'..... :)

17. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did upper body resistance session this morning. Shifted things back a notch and did my 3 sets of pushups on an incline - shoulder felt fine. Other exercises felt fine. I'm going to keep the pushups on an incline for the next week or so and see how things go. Will try the pull-ups tonight (I've been a bad boy and haven't done any this week :mad:) and hit the stationary bike for a bit.

Tomorrow = 10 km trail run.

18. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I am a dumbass and haven't done my pull-ups in a week. I absolutely MUST do them tomorrow.

Did a 10km hill run session this morning. Actually 10.5 km which i managed in 1:09:09 - with 5 climbs. Great for the old ticker. Avg hr was 165 but with ascents and descents it was up and down like a yo-yo peaking at 182 and dropping to only the 140's. A total killer run and perfect Mudder training. The trails were an icy mess but in all honesty the hills run was a better idea. Will adopt this every other week or so. There were so many folks training in this spot it felt like I was at an event!

Tomorrow I rest....aside from the pull-ups of course ;)

#198 Sharv, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  19. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Did a 30 minute circuit at my local park. Laps around the field with 1 set of exercises with each loop - monkey bars x2, pull-ups, jumping jacks, prisoner squats and bear crawl. Didn't feel as strong as I thought I would...kinda tired and doggin' it to be honest. Ah well, it was likely better than I'm making it out to be but a bad workout is better than no workout at all.

Tomorrow = 5 km road run, Abs and pull-ups. Going to try and keep that 5 km under 30 minutes!

20. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

Tired after a 10km hill run?

:confused:

I can't imagine why... :lol: