1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2012 - Kicking serious a$$

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Zoetastic, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

A recap -
    2010 - 2 triathlons and a marathon and various other shenanigans
    2011 - MBA started and finished in just 1 year, zero life outside of school
    2012 - enjoying my life outside of grad school and focusing on a huge part that i was missing - the enjoyment of being active! kicking ass and taking names!

Join me as I work toward hitting the following goals in 2012:

• Insanity
    • Shamrock Shuffle
    • Chicago Marathon
    • Size 8

(this list is a work in progress. I expect it to grow exponentially!)

It's not quite 2012 yet but I'm so excited to get back to my life and i only have 3 days left of grad school, so what the hell... let's get this party started! :nod:

2. Zoetastic

One of the ways I plan to tackle the weight loss issue is through meal replacement. I found this awesome stuff called Shakeology. It's only my second day of drinking it but I still can't believe it is jam packed with so much healthy crap it in yet tastes so freaking good. (it's so good i've even contemplating trying to use it in my ice cream maker for a guilt free treat).

Today is my first day of drinking it as a breakfast meal replacement. I'll be interested in seeing how long until i feel hungry.

I have one more day of grad school and then I get my life back so I'm super stoked. Gonna spend the day practicing my final presentation (which occurs tomorrow - then freedom), doing some chores, getting hair done, and i also want to ease back into a fitness plan. You dont use it and you lose it and that's surely the case with all the progress I made last year. It will be hard on my ego to start from scratch but we all have to start somewhere! Hoping to get a quick walk/jog in today to start things off.

3. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Sounds like you've got a great plan worked out with aggressive, but reachable goals.

I'm personally not a fan of "shake" diets, but having said that however, one of my friends wife lost 50+ pounds doing the insanity/shakeology combo. Whatever works. Just make sure that whatever do is sustainable over the long term. It gets expensive buying all the shake stuff.

Congrats on getting grad school finished. I remember those days (30 years ago) and never want to go back to them.

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I know I wrote it in your other journal, but it's worthy of another comment. Congratulations on getting your MBA!

Zoe, I think you're going to surprise yourself in how quickly you're going to make big gains. That said, go easy at first and give your body time to acclimate.

5. Zoetastic

Hi guys :wave:

Thanks! it was definitely a tough time and doing it in one year was INSANE .but i'm almost done!! light is at the end of the tunnel.

i am not a fan of "shake diets" either but i guess i dont consider replacing breakfast with a shake as an actual diet. I know I have a hard time getting a good breakfast in and it normally sets the tone for my day. Knowing that I'm making a good choice in the morning right away, AND that I'm ensuring I'm getting good nutrition in before anyhting else just makes sense to me. it's sort of like prioritizing my food intake i guess. there may be days where i have more than one shake due to convenience or laziness :) and in that event then i'll just be stoked about it being such a lower calorie meal than i'd normally have.

im trying to not get too caught up in my nutrition plan yet since it's often my downfall because i want to be super strict and then can't maintain it longer than a week. by easing into it like this, I'm hoping for moderation.. that's my goal here i guess.

Thanks :D words can't express how proud i am or how excited i am that it's over!

I am looking forward to making big gains. the cool thing is that I feel confident that I can do it! I know I've kicked ass before , it's just time to ramp it up again!

Any chance I can talk you into heading out here for the Chicago Mary in 2012? I've already got E ready to sign up. It's time for another JSF get together!! :)

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    E has already thrown it out there and I was non committal. I'm still deciding upon my race schedule for 2012 and I am giving Chicago some consideration because I'm planning on a fall marathon. The potential deal breaker has nothing to do with you, E, or the city; I've met you and E and I've been to the Windy City a couple of times and really enjoyed my time with you guys and my time in the city. The issues are more practical than that.

Assuming that wifey and dear son come with me, due to the distance, driving is not an option as it will necessitate taking too much time off from work and school. That leaves flying, which may or may not be prohibitive for the three of us, especially considering that we'd be only be there for about 48 hours since we'd be flying in on Saturday morning and leaving Monday morning. As of now I haven't ruled out Chicago, but given that I'll probably run three other destination races in 2012 I need to think about the big picture some more. About a month ago I was giving this a lot of thought, but not so much lately.

7. Zoetastic

Today might as well be January 1. Yesterday was my last presentation and I officially graduate next week. It feels surreal.
    Am so excited to re-start my life again. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before but last year I started my own Meetup group focused on health and fitness. I was able to spend a month or two hosting fun events like volleyball, rock climbing, kayaking, and the best part was hosting the walk/runs where we wouldget newbies. The best feeling was when I'd meet someone who "wasn't a runner" and with a little coaching would learn they are in fact a great runner! It was awesome:). Due toschool I had to have someone else host events this past couple of months.

So this morning I'm crashing their wallyball game:). (volleyball in a racquetball court where u play it off the wall). So excited! I missed my members and I sure missed being active. It's about 50 degrees out and cloudyso I might post a walk/run this afternoon.

Hope you all have an awesome Sunday!

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You must have posted about that group because I remember reading about it. Glad to see you're jumping back into the things that you enjoy now that school is over.

I also got my masters, all 72 credits of it, while working full time and decades later I can vividly remember when I was in the situation you are in now. All of a sudden there is lots of "free time" time. I still managed to exercise throughout, but one of the greatest pleasures I remember suddenly having time for post graduation was being able to read a book without a highlighter in my hand. :)

9. Zoetastic

I forgot to mention it earlier, but I totally understand about the Chicago mary, no worries!

the idea of reading a book for fun?! insanity! lol :). i can't wait!

Wallyball was freaking hilarious and a great workout - it's volleyball in a racquetball court. it feels like volleyball + dodgeball. you are allowed to hit the ball off of certain walls only. it was super fun. next time i'll wear my hrm to get an idea of calorie burn. i didnt have much breakfast so was shaking by the time i was done.

didnt have shakeology for breakfast (had a biscotti instead) so am having one now for lunch. gonna get organized and relax a little today :madpimp:

10. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Welcome back! :wave: Congratulations. And your goals are great. I can't wait to see you rock 'em.

11. Zoetastic

ended up meeting a friend from my meetup group for a walk/jog. we walked at a fast pace for most of it and threw in a few light jogging intervals. i was glad he was ok with taking it easy. i have to be very mindful of how i jump back into everything. im almost afraid to do insanity, it's been so long. :scared:.

so far i have to say im really diggin the shakeology. tomorrow will be my first day trying it at work. i blended it up and threw it in the freezer so i'll let it thaw while i'm in transit to the office tomorrow. may bring the mini blender into the office should i want to make a shake for the occasional lunch or something.

thanks! :D. i'm excited about my goals and the fact that i'm not done compiling my list!
    i may need to add some hashing on there!

12. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Cause she's great. Obv.

And you're excited because she said "Chicago" and "marathon."

13. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

damn mba in 1 year. :bow::bow: sooo proud of ya!!

14. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    MBA in a year--wow! Congratulations!

15. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Holy shit good for you on the MBA. I'm sure you will kick your fitness goals ass in similar fashion.

16. Zoetastic

Weighed myself yesterday. Not pretty. But not worried because I know I am going to make some serious progress. :nod:

Been drinking shakeology for breakfast, the occasional lunch, and occasional nighttime treat and I have to say I am so freaking glad I found it! Even without the awesome nutrition aspect, if you just consider the fact that normally I'd be pigging out on ben and jerrie's at night when I wanted a treat, now I have something with way less calories and way less health reprocusions... I'm stoked. I never thought I'd sign up to actually sell stuff like this but I have. It rocks my socks. that's how much I like it. :madpimp:

I am also going to be hosting a weekly group workout with my activities club. I'm thinking insanity every monday. kick them in the butt at the start of the week :).

Thanks everyone!!! :D I am stoked to be done. I'm also a little out of sorts because I've spent the past year completely insane . Now that I have time to breathe... it feels odd and uncomfortable lol!

I have been amped with adrenaline for a few days because of my final project. Finally came down last night and went to bed around 8pm. It was good to sleep.

17. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

We've been conspiring. This should come as no surprise. Now, it would be so much easier to plan if the rest of you would just accept the inevitable.

18. Zoetastic

:nod:

In other news... Happy Holidays (click the link!) :)

19. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I knew it!

C'mon E, you know that's not how it works. There's a whole process involved. First a ridiculous idea has to be floated, you know something like, "Hey let's run 26.2 miles." The next step is for swift and definitive squashing of the idea by others. Thirdly comes the persistent badgering by the originator and his/her cohorts which leads to capitulation by other JSF members. Finally, a meet up is arranged that involves a lot of food and beverages of various types with a short break to participate in the fitness activity.

20. Zoetastic

jsf just ate my post. ugh. why you so hungry jsf? are you on a cut? ;)

:bow: this is so true!

still working on my new website - www.zoelovesfitness.com. it's a work in progress as am I. I am totally looking forward to 2012. I'll continue to post here and blog there as I tackle Insanity, getting back into running, marathon training, and running my activities group. yea 2012!!!!!