1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2010: The year of awesome

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Zoetastic, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Zoetastic

Zoetastic Well-Known Member

OK So.. the new year is upon us and my calendar of fitness events for 2010 is pretty intimidating. I've never had a year of events that looks like this. As a former couch potato and athletic novice, I'm really nervous but I'm also very excited for this challenge :nod:.

The 2010 events calendar is as follows (subject to change):

May 16 - Chicago Spring 10k or half marathon (haven't decided yet) - (Removed 1/3/10 - i have a wedding to attend that weekend out of town)
    March 21 - Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8k (added 1/3/10) - COMPLETED!
    June 13 - US Women's triathlon series - Sprint triathlon - COMPLETED!
    June 19 - Warrior Dash - Obstacle race - 3.17 miles, 12 obstacles - COMPLETED!
    July 24 - Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 - 10mile trail race (added 5/18/10) - Cancelled due to weather!
    August 8- HRMS Sprint triathlon - COMPLETED!
    October 31 - MCM - full marathon - COMPLETED!
    November 14 - San Antonio Rock n Roll - Full Marathon- - removed per Philly's running guru-ness

I plan to use Jeff Galloway's training program for the running races as it should limit my risk of injury due to the walk/run focus. My goal for these events is just to finish. Time isn't a big priority to me.

On the sprint triathlons, my goal is to finish faster than I did in my 2009 sprint tri (which was my first one). I'll be working with a local women's triathlon training group for the 8 weeks prior to my first sprint triathlon.

I've also been doing boxing training lately and trying new things (snowshoeing, indoor rock climbing, etc) so I'm sure there'll be lots of non-event related shenanigans to post about :tu:.

Let the awesome begin!

#1 Zoetastic, Dec 31, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Looks like I have the honor of being the first responder.

It's not for everybody, but I've used Galloway's methods very succesfully. I really think it helps big time with injury avoidance and recovery time after a long run.

Happy New Year!

3. Zoetastic

Happy New Year everyone!!!

I woke up bright and early on this first day of the new year around 7am (on my day off? seriously? boo-urns!) and starting thinking about my goals and training programs.

In discussing this year's goals with people, I've received a lot of "um..are you serious?" looks or and more importantly, looks of concern because they are afraid I'm going to injure myself. It's frustrating to feel like you can do something and to know other people don't agree. :bang:

The way I look at it is currently, I don't think of myself as very "fit" but I can manage a 5 or 6 mile distance of walk/jog intervals (I just did one about 2 weeks ago in fact). If that's my starting point, I don't feel like I need to be concerned about finishing a marathon that's 10 months away. What do you think? Is it just me? Am I being overly optimistic?

Maybe there's just something to be said for being someone who is interested in active things compared to the everyday couch potato. I don't think "i can't" but rather "that's going to be tough" but it's never a question of not being able to do it. Completing last year's sprint triathlon really helped me realize that. I think many people don't realize what they're capable of because they don't even try. Many of us have a higher capacity than we'd expect. It's just making yourself sustain an uncomfortable situation for a long period of time than you'd prefer is how I look at it, lol!
    I'm a big believer in "doesnt matter how slow you go as long as you finish" mentality. You'll eventually get to the end as long as you keep moving :nod:.

Well...I'm off to research some more Galloway training info and then I'll be heading off to the gym for a run on the treadmill (Far too cold to be outside - weather channel says "2 degrees and feels like -12"! :eek:

As a side note, I hope everyone had a very happy and safe new years eve! I went to a nice fondue dinner with my roommate and then we watched "The Hangover" on DVD for fun (freaking HILARIOUS!), so it was a nice low-key and relaxing evening. I must admit, it was nice to be hangover-free this morning :cool:.
    We took a pic in front of the tree after our dinner so I thought I'd share!
    zoe and rachel NYE 2010.jpg
    (I'm on the left)

Hope everyone is doing well this New Year's day! I am looking forward to all the adventures to come in 2010!

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:nono: DELIGHTFULLY optimistic.

I love reading your journal. And I never doubt that you're going to do what you say you're going to do. I'd be more surprised to learn that you didn't complete something that you said you were going to. You have a very high degree of integrity, and that will take you far. :nod:

I keep hearing how great this is, but the trailer didn't appeal to me, so I've held off so far. I'm going to have to get to this yet.

Sexy boots! :madpimp: I'm beginning to think that you have some kind of filter on your camera that gives you some kind of glow.
    No, wait, it's this:

Conquer the new year. :flex:

5. Zoetastic

Just got back from the gym.

40 minute workout (including 5 min warm up and cool down walk)

today's running training workout details:
    • time: 30 minutes total
    • intervals: 2 min run/ 1 min walk
    • speed: 6.0 run/ 3.0 walk
    • distance: 2.5 miles completed (meh :blank:).

I'm definitely not used to running at 6.0. I'm a 5.0-5.5 speed person. I was paying attention to my strides compared to the girl next to me and my strides are really short. Not sure if it's my leg length (which are pretty short. my torso is long) or if it's just how i'm built :confused:.

Thanks Guava! That means a lot. I hope you're right!

I'm happy to say that I mostly agree with your comment that I'll do what I set out to do. The main exception is related to food. It's the one piece that I haven't gotten a handle on yet and it continues to pwn me.

The Hangover is hilarious. i saw it in the theater when it first came out and I laughed so hard and so loud. It's not as impactful when watching it at home but it's still enjoyable :nod:.

The boots are brand new :blush:. I'm in love with them. as for the "glow" , I'm actually just really photogenic. 9 times out of 10, I look better in a photo than I do in real life :nod:.

ok i'm off to shower and then head out to REI to get some cold weather gear for tomorrow' snowshoeing adventure into the wilderness! :tu:

6. Zoetastic

REI Trip- 1 hr and 220 bucks later, I had snowshoe rentals, snow pants, socks, buff, gloves, and emergency hand warmers.

Operation Saturday snowshoe adventure is a go!!!! :nod:

Snowshowing practice - I came home and realized I was still undecided on the right footwear to use with my snowshoes so I suited up in all my new gear and trekked out to the big soccer field near my house that’s covered in snow. put on my snoeshoes and i was off!
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

Played around a bit and listend to some music as I walked. It was nice :) . it took me a while to realize I had my snowshoes on the wrong feet, lol!! So I switched them up and then kept on going.

I was only out there 30 minutes and I was huffing and puffing. It’s cold so you’re sort of bracing yourself for that, and you’re working muscles in your legs I don’t think you normally hit since you’re lifting your legs because of the powder.
    snowshoepractice.jpeg

Looking forward to tomorrow! Wish me luck!

7. HalfGorilla

HalfGorilla Active Member

I imagine walking in snow shoes would be hard work? Even harder in the soft stuff.

Have fun on your adventure. :)

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Great first journal post Zoe!

You absolutely have enough time to train for a marathon and anyone who has run one would tell you that. Don't let the naysayers drag you down to their level.

Have a great time snowshoeing!

9. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Oh wow, that looks like you had some fun, great journal so far, zoe. :)

10. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

Awesome! Walking in snow is rough :tucool:

11. Zoetastic

thanks guys! :D

I'm soooo nervous. not because of the snowshoeing but because of the cold. Per the weather channel, It's currently -3 degrees and feels like -12. :eek:
    i'm going to die! LOL , holy crap!!!

Time to get some coffee and start bundling up. Wish me luck I come back with all of my fingers and toes :scared:. hopefully i come back with some good stories and a new activity that i love :nod:.

i'll hopefully post pics later!
    Z-

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

:gl: and have a great time.

13. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Best new journal title. :nod:

14. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I got a lot of that with the marathon. It was either "Why would you want to do that?" or "I could never do that." People that aren't into these activities just can't wrap their heads around them. So, I don't think it's that they don't agree that you can do it. I think they just can't imagine. They have no point of reference. The idea of running a marathon, to them, is as foreign as building a space shuttle from scratch and flying to the moon.

Exactly! People can do so much more than they give themselves credit for. It's a matter of realizing the possibilities, and pushing yourself further and further. You've definitely got the right attitude about this. Your goals are fantastic. No matter how they turn out, you're going to have a wonderful journey working toward them. There is no doubt that 2010 will be full of awesome for you.

:dreamy:

You're doing so many cool, exciting things! I love your spirit of adventure. :tu:

15. Zoetastic

Thanks for your post E! I appreciate the support. Having you guys believe in me always helps. :nod:

Thanks Choppie :D I can't contain teh awesome. :madpimp:

OK So... I survived my first snowshoeing adventure! :claphigh:It was soooo cold! I was ok for the most part but sometimes the group would stop and my fingers would get cold :(.

There were about 9 of us that went (pics to follow once they're uploaded). Lucky for me, many of the people in the group had never gone snowshoeing either so there was a nice mixture of experience level. Funny enough.. I was at the front of the pack (and sometimes leading!) almost the entire time! When it was done, one of the leaders said I had a "brutal pace" so I was quite proud. :D
    I don't lollygag nor do i support other's lolligagging tendencies. ;)

We were out there for about 3 hours taking various paths/trails. and it was really nice to be in nature. my heart rate never got very high except for when i ran up some hills. I only burned about 1100 calories. Overall, I would say that snowshoeing is a really fun way to spend time outside (specifically in wooded areas like forest preserves or state parks) and enjoy the sunshine. However, I wouldn't necessarily call it a workout unless you're on some crazy trail (or better yet, you're off the trail!!).

20142_1075199856308_1715576511_134274_7825129_n.jpg

(this is my "omgmyfaceisfreezingtaketheeffingpicturealready" look)

I was driving home and it hit me how exhausted i was. All i was doing was walking but I think being outside, the sun, and the insane cold really wore me out. By the time I returned my shoe rentals and got home I was ready to get into bed, stat. I slept a little bit and just woke up and feel sooo much better. Now time to freshen up and then I'm off to see Avatar in 3D:cool: Catch you guys later!

p.s. in case you're wondering... 7 degree wind makes it feel like a brainfreeze but on the outside of your face. srsly.

16. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

:dreamy:

hawt look for ya! :nod:

enjoy! it's an awesome flick!

17. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Anti lolligagging. Pro shenanigans. That's a platform I can support! :tu:

Glad to see you had a good time, and that you made it back with all your fingers and toes.

18. Zoetastic

just saw Avatar. I enjoyed it! It wasn't the best movie evar! but it was pretty entertaining. seeing it in 3d was really cool.

I am so exhausted. my legs were sore throughout the movie. Partially due to sitting, and partially from today's adventure and the cold. Gonna hit the hay pretty soon here.

So.. it's january. I just cant believe it. ok so...Goals for this month:
    1- volunteer at least once (i have an appt to check out a local food pantry next weekend).
    2- read one book (i got "tender at the bone" and have already read chapter one)
    3- marathon training - following Galloway's principals. I'm not totally sure I understand them besides the basic concept of walk-run. I'm used to doing the walk-run thing but I'm pushing myself by running at 6.0. it is not a comfortable pace for me. it's faster than i'd normally go if i wasn't training. i may do some mixing up of things... but i'm not sure. i really need to get a better game plan on this but i feel sort of overwhelmed with the options and knowing that my own personal body capabilities are different from other peoples.. i almost wonder if i should consult a running coach?
    4- drink 2 liters of water a day (5 out of 7 days a week). i'll continue to try to make balanced choices when it comes to food. sugar will be a challenge most likely, but if i can get the water in, the balance seems to come easier.

Thanks honey bunny :madpimp:

sigged :nod:

19. Zoetastic

Good afternoon! I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday.

I just got back from the gym. Holy busy! It was jam packed. I almost couldnt get a treadmill. New Years Resolutionists everywhere, lol. Best of luck to them. It's sad to know most of them probably won't be there in a month or two from now.

Today's running training -
    40 minute workout total (including 5 min warm up and cool down walk)

Galloway training -
    time: 30 minutes total
    intervals: 2 min run/ 1 min walk
    speed: 6.0 run/ 3.0 walk
    distance: 2.51 miles completed (meh ).

I had a few blips on this workout. Somewhere in the beginning I accidentally did a 3 minute run at 6.0. And somewhere in the middle I accidentally walked at 2.0 instead of 3.0. near the end I walked at 2.0 for 1 minute on purpose to try to get my heartrate down so I could finish up the workout.

I have to say that it surprises me how challenging running at 6.0 is for me. It really is not comfortable. I mentally have to push myself to hang in there during the discomfort knowing that I'm doing it so that eventually.. 6.0 will be a regular pace (i sure hope so!).

I'd like to continue to sprinkle in some 3 min running intervals here and there for the next few weeks as I continue to train and then eventually jump it up to 4 min, 5 min, etc while maintaining a 1 min rest walk in between. I think it's a good plan but I need to remember that I can't jump up too fast or I'll regret it. It needs to be a slow increase over a decent period of time.

This winter weather is sort of bumming me out. As I was driving home I thought it would be so nice to run outside in the sun. Then I remembered the wind chill (shudder).

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

You've sure packed a lot into your last few posts. Glad you had such a good snowshoe experience and you got to see some real world evidence of all the fitness work you've been doing lately. Your year of awesomeness is off to a great start!

Regarding Galloway, I haven't been on his site in a while, but I do remember him somehow correlating one's running pace with how the intervals should be taken. I don't think you need to be that rigid. Find a pace and run/walk interval scheme that is comfortable for you via experimentation. You have plenty of time to dial into something that will allow you to complete your desired distance.