1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2008 JSF/PDB Updated Cruise Information!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by causticmuse, Jan 20, 2008.

1. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

Want to go on a fun-filled, three-day cruise vacation to the Bahamas where the only thing you have to worry about is whether you’d rather go snorkeling or swimming with the dolphins in Nassau? Have you ever wanted to meet all of the great people who have become your online workout buddies and diet partners — in person?

Me, too!

I’ve been lucky enough to meet a handful of online fitness/nutrition friends from the central Florida area in person a few times over the past four years, and each time I always had so much fun that the event (usually just a single annual cheat meal dinner) would just fly by. You get a bunch of us together and nobody ever runs out of stuff to say, seriously.

The only bad part was that there was never enough time to talk to everyone and just chill out in the 3-4 hours of restaurant dinner we normally had. And with people often flying into Orlando from all over the country, a single cheat meal just didn’t seem to be worth it.

Enter the 2008 Fitness Cheat Weekend Cruise idea…

For 2008, I thought it was time to shoot for something a little more ambitious than a single dinner — like a 3-day group cruise! After all, those chipper Body-for-Life folks do a BFL-specific cruise every year in May…why not organize one for those of us who are getting fit using our own mix of programs, not just BFL?

I called up a local travel agent for details. All we needed to get a discounted group rate was a minimum of 10 dual-occupancy cabins. Where would I find 20+ people who would want to participate in group workouts, active excursions, a meet and greet party, lots of good eats, fitness/nutrition round table discussions, sunbathing, cheesy shows, dance lessons, onboard rock climbing, duty-free shopping, and nightly karaoke, AND be able to hook me up with emergency protein powder and fish oil caps in case I ran out?

Clearly we’d have to recruit from all over the online fitness community!

2008 Cruise Details

The cruise is open to members (and guests) of the Booty Kickers UC group at eDiets, the Pink Dumbbells women’s fitness community, and the John Stone Fitness forum community. Heck, if you are part of the greater fitness blogging community and a regular reader of my blog or Kyra’s blog, you are welcome, too!

[​IMG]

* Destination: Bahamas (Nassau)

* Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean

* Date: Friday, 8/15/2008 (Returns early Monday, 8/18/2008)

* Cruise Length: 3 Days

* Port of Departure: Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL

* Ship: Sovereign of the Seas (Photos - Overview - Activities)

* Price (Includes meals, accommodations, shows, port fees, taxes, fuel surcharge and prepaid gratuities. Transportation/airfare to port, excursions, and onboard extras not included.): $372.90 per person (inside cabin) or $417.90 per person (oceanview cabin)

* Deposit: $100 per person (Due April 15, 2008 in order to reserve your cabin, but fully-refundable through 5/30/2008 in case your plans change. The balance of the cruise fare is due on 5/30/2008, so you have almost 5 months to save your pennies!)

Itinerary and additional details at Royal Caribbean

Ready to Cruise?

Here is the travel agent’s contact information if you have any specific questions not covered here. To qualify for a group discount we need a minimum of 10 cabins (dual occupancy) and tickets must be booked as part of the “PDB” group.

Mary is holding a block of 12 cabins for us on this cruise. If you are ready to commit (remember, you will need to place a $100/person deposit by April 15, 2008 to lock in your cabin!), please contact her via email or phone as soon as possible and mention that you are with the “PDB” (or “Pink Dumbbells”) Bahamas cruise group. The cabins will be first-come, first-serve, so please get your name on the list early if you are interested. The sooner we know if we'll need to request more cabins, the more likely we'll actually be able to get them.

More Cruise Talk
    Check out the ongoing cruise discussion threads at Pink Dumbbells and JSF to see who else is planning to be there!

Passports
    If you don't have a valid passport, be aware that you WILL need one for the cruise in August. Processing time runs 4-6 weeks with regular processing, and 2 weeks for expedited. U.S. passport information can be found here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Flight Arrangements for Out of Towners
    For those of you who need to make flight arrangements, Orlando International (MCO) is the nearest airport.

I can provide a carpool for up to 3 riders (if we just take one car) or 8 riders (if we get my husband to drive his vehicle, too) from the airport to Port Canaveral and back. Bluestreak and some other locals might also be able to help out with shared rides.

- On August 15, please book flights that will arrive at MCO 12:00 pm noon or EARLIER.

- On August 18, please book your return flight departure for 12:00 pm noon or LATER.

#1 causticmuse, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. causticmuse

I know there's still some time before the first deposit cut off on March 28, 2008, but if you are sure you will be going on the cruise, could you chime in on this thread with how many will be in your group?

It would be nice to get an estimated headcount and to help some of the single travelers find cabin mates. :)

I'll keep a running list here with all of the folks from Pink Dumbbells and JSF:

Original 12 Cabins
    ---------------------------
    1. Maggie + Chris (Hubby)
    2. M@ + (1 possible guest)
    3. Irene + Husband
    4. Cathy K + Husband
    5. John + Lisa Stone
    6. Phillydude + iceweaselsarecool
    7. Roger + Tanisha
    8. bballer143 + ** OPEN **
    9. jk0 + chicanerous
    10. Kyra + Chris
    11. Amyella (maybe) + ** OPEN **

More cabins should be available according to Mary if we need them.

Extra Cabins
    -------------------
    13. Jenny + Husband (maybe)
    14. Carmen + Husband (maybe)
    15. Ange + Husband (maybe)

#2 causticmuse, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  3. causticmuse

Me and my husband are both in for sure! :jumping:

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm in! :D

It'll be at least me but I might be bringing a guest. I'll ask Mary about a current reservation and potential addition before the deposit cutoff date.

Thanks for making all these arrangements! It'll be a great trip. :spaz:

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I wasn't going to come, but if M@'s coming.... :dreamy:

Count me and Lisa in!

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :o

I sent Mary an email and will get my deposit in as soon as I hear back from her with details.

7. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm was in... but if M@'s bringing a date... :(

No, I'm still in, and evidently looking for a bunkmate.

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't know what's up yet! Don't guilt-trip meeeeee. :cry:

9. causticmuse

I heard that if you slip the maitre d' a $10 bill, he'll arrange to seat you next to M@ at dinner.

10. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    There's nothing I would like more than to see you bring a "date" for this trip. Eyes on the prize, my friend... eyes on the prize.

11. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I'm in. [​IMG]

12. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Chico in 3...2...

13. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Count me in. What's the closest airport?

Crap I need to get a passport too.

14. iceweaselsarecool

iceweaselsarecool Well-Known Member

I'm so in it's not funny. Passport? Oh snap. Guess I should lose the Osama beard.:madpimp:

Edit: I'll bunk with Phillydude if he'll take me.

#14 iceweaselsarecool, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  15. causticmuse

Orlando International is the closest. Airport code MCO.

If anyone needs a ride out to Port Canaveral from the airport (assuming you are flying in on the morning of the 15th), those of us who live in the Orlando or central Florida area can probably arrange to carpool, so please mention if you would like to bum a ride out to port, too.

:)

Looks like the reserved cabin block is filling up fast, so please get yourself locked in with Mary the travel agent as soon as you can.

16. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

A carpool from the airport sounds spectacular! :nod:

17. jk0

jk0 Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Are there set times of departure and arrival of the cruise liner so we can book our airline tickets?

18. causticmuse

The cruise sails at 5:00 PM EST on August 15, and the web site says that all passengers must be checked in and onboard no later than 90 minutes prior to that, so assuming an hour and a half drive from the airport to Port Canaveral, maybe an hour to deal with pre-boarding stuff, and that 90 minutes hanging onboard waiting to sail...You probably want to get into Orlando by noon AT THE LATEST to be safe.

We are supposed to complete Online Check-in at least three days in advance, too, which should expedite things at the pier.

Here's the full Royal Caribbean FAQ page for more information on boarding procedures, what to pack, how to book excursions, and all the other things to expect.

19. causticmuse

Oh, and the cruise is scheduled for a 6:30 AM return on Monday, August 18. It can take a while to get off the ship, and you'll probably want an hour for airport check-in, plus the ride back to the airport from Port Canaveral, so book a return flight departing after 11 AM or 12 PM on 8/18 to be safe.

20. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I need to call the travel agent and get our booking in.

Since it's looking like people will be flying in the night before, we could probably provide accommodations to one or two people at our house overnight, then we'll leave before the ass-crack of dawn the next morning to get to the port (it's about a 45 minute drive from my house). We're taking the wife's truck, so we'll have plenty of room for an extra passenger or two.

I have to check with the wife and make sure she's cool with this.

-R