1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

200 rep body weight barbell squat challenge aka INTO HELL AND BACK!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by user786, Dec 22, 2008.

1. user786

user786 Active Member

Hey this challenge is simple in itself BUT it is by NO means EASY!..i would only suggest trying this if you have been squatting for a while.

Where did it come from???...well you can blame Foley for that one he gave me the idea when he attempted it a few months ago.

the challenge is basically to load up a barbell with ur bodyweight and then squat 10 sets of 20 reps.(squat depth should be at least parallel i tend to slightly below)

i am going to slowly increase my poundage and attempt it every once every 8 weeks .

OK i did this once 2 months ago and i used 60kg total weight and it was a killer ...i was literaly crawling out of the gym....my legs were on fire ...and the doms i remeber were heavy.

tips
    1.eat light before you do it as you could end up spewing otherwise
    2.get a good night sleep before you atempt
    3.dont worry about the time frame and rest well between sets
    4.i suggest you arrange for someone to give you a lift back from the gym as you may find it difficult to drive home!!
    5. make sure you go home and eat and drink loads..ur gunna need it to recover from the beating your body takes
    6.Start with body weight or the empty bar...and slowly work ur way up with ...this will shock ur body the first time you attempt it!!

#1 user786, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    Foley and dejavued like this.
  2. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Wow thats a challenge and a half. Do not blame me, blame Mastover. I got the idea from him. But this is insane. Bodyweight x 20, for 10 sets. Right now, I'd have to do that with 90kg. :madpimp: Maybe one day I will give this a go. :D

Good luck!

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

AWESOME challenge.

finally someone uses a number with respect to bodyweight instead of just some arbitrary number.

10 sets of 20 is freakin crazy. i'll definitely try to do this one sometime in 2009!!

4. user786

user786 Active Member

22/12/08 2nd attempt body weight 68 kg ( squat weight used 62.5kg) total time taken 39 mins

set 1 easy
    set 2 easy
    set 3 umm
    set 4 feelin it
    set 5 hard
    set 6 by rep 15 i was breathing like a madman and thought to myself wtf have i let myself into!! ..i thought i cannot do this ..but i mananged to squeeze the last five out
    set 7 this was a bit easier than 6th set ?? probably because i rested a bit more
    set 8 now the thought of picking up the bar on my back was frightening
    me:o..but i sucked it in and went for it....after rep 8 it was extremly agonising...and slow...i was trying to catch my breath and felt like passing out!!
    set 9 psychologically kept on reminding myself only 2 more sets but that didnt make it any easier!! by rep 5 i slowed down and was sweating like a pig...i could see the steam rising off my back!!...kept hitting them out nice and slow and nailed it
    final set it felt like i had the weight of the world on my back..after reps 10 i was screaming each rep out ...by reps 17 i was swearing loudly people in the gym must have thgt what the hell..but i didnt care...when the last rep was done and i came out of the hole and i
    placed the bar back on the rack ..i basically sat on the floor for five mins to recompose my self .......then it FELT SUPRISINGLY GOOD!!

PlainGreyT likes this.
  5. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Now go eat eat eat. :nod:

6. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member
    Bronze Member

ditto!!!

:claplow::bow: awesome work user 786!!!!!!!!!!!

7. user786

user786 Active Member

:lol: im eatin as i type !!
    Thanks Dejavued ....luckily im off work till Thursday as i suspect tomorrow morning im going to find it agonizing just walking around!!

then ive got to hit the dance floor on weds nite christmas eve party :lol:

8. Foley

Foley Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. I remember not being able to walk for 3-4 days after doing that workout.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Awesome job!

10. Big_D

Big_D Active Member

I'll give this a shot at some point, but I'd like to see how many sets it would take to get to 100, so 1x100 or 2x50 etc.

11. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I think I could get it in 2-3 sets. I did 1x30@185 (bodyweight 185.5) last night at the end of a workout and could have gotten probably 10 more reps.

You could probably easily do it in 2 if your endurance is what I think it is.

I'm assuming breathing style. If we're talking straight reps with no pause between reps, that's a whole 'nother thing.

12. dkmahkee

dkmahkee Well-Known Member

I just did 3x10@205 last night. thats pretty much my BW (a tad more) and I THINK i could have done one more set really, but IDK about another 60reps. LOL. I guess its something to work towards.

13. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I did 5x20x225#,4x25x225# at about 205# bodyweight once. Does that count?

14. user786

user786 Active Member

:tucool:Yep!! thats awsome work there!!:bow:..just out of interest how long did that take ? and u didnt have ur heart rate monitor on to check your cals burnt by any chance?

15. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Actually I did. Let me go check the journal. OK Here it is: February 11, 2008:

16. user786

user786 Active Member

i did break the 200 BW barrier today :claphigh: wasnt 10 x 20 though used a different approach

was as follows

20 sets x 12 reps x 66kg ( Current BW)= total 240 reps @ bw
    rest was 45 secs between the 1st 15 sets
    sets 16-19 was 60 secs
    and before the final 20th set was 90 secs.

a very intensive workout ...am gunna pay for this the next few days!!!:lol:

17. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You are a beast. :bow:

It's stories detailed like this that make me want to push harder.

Did you do 9x20 on this one, or complete the whole 200?

That sounds more reasonable.

By the way, I can't even do ONE bodyweight squat. I tried for six months and ALMOST got there. I am struggling right now to do one set of 50 unweighted squats. :lol:

Cool challenge. :cool:

18. KT Monahan

KT Monahan Active Member

INSANITY !!!!!!

But in a good way.

19. Will13

Will13 Active Member

Awesome! You nutcase! I thought my 15 minute sessions of squats were intense....now I have to try this - I wish my bodyweight wasn't 105kg though! Will make my attempt on Thursday! Thanks for the inspiration - I won't be saying that on Thursday, Friday, Saturday.....:doh:

20. user786

user786 Active Member

Thanks ... Zen and Foley kinda made me try this challenge....
    im paying for it today as im very sore!! :lol:

yep did complete the 200 first time ...u are right i found the 10 x 20 harder than the 20 x 12 ...even tho the reps are less...after rep 15 on later sets you wish u had never got under the bar and your body is screaming at you STOP PUT THE BAR BACK !! thats where the mental game of no i can do this begins.

one day i wish to do this challenge with 225lb on my back !!:mad:
    maybe a few years on tho.