1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

20 lbs by Thanksgiving.... Who's coming with me??

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by tensdanny, Aug 27, 2011.

1. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

This 20 pound challenge is going to be a little longer than the last two to encourage more participation and hopefully have more success.

The challenge begins on Sept. 1st.

Who's coming with me??

2. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think I'm in. I want to be down to approximately 150 lbs, and within about 2 weeks of Thanksgiving was my goal. While I keep putting as my goal that I'm supposed to be at like 165 this week, I'm still basically at 170±1. So it may be approximate for me, but basically I want to lose ~20 lbs between last week and ~Thanksgiving. So long as you accept my "~" then I'm in. ;)

3. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Yeah. I'm in again. Achieving this will put me very close to my goal weight. Hopefully I can stay on point enough to be very close to my goal body fat percentage, too.

My official weigh in on Thursdays is going to work nicely here since September 1st is a Thursday. This gives us 11 weeks to drop 20 lbs. That comes out to just over 1.8 lbs each week. Definitely doable.

See you on Thursday! :tu:

4. astroguy

P'raps. For me, despite my caloric deficit, I'm still averaging now -1 lb/week despite the deficit being enough for -1.5. We'll see what happens. I'm contemplating waking up at 6AM so I can finally start to walk again in the AM before the sun makes it too hot (for my wimpy self) and then just go back to bed when done. :spank:

It'd be around 1800-1900 cals burned per week if I did it every day which is equivalent to something like a half-pound of fat.

5. MichaelT

MichaelT Active Member

I physically wont be able to achieve losing 20 lbs (I'm too small for that), but I am very interested in the idea of losing weight before the holidays. I'll aim for losing about 7 lbs, which would give me a BF% of 12%.

6. astroguy

With a start of tomorrow, figured I'd post my baseline now. Weighed in at 168.5 lbs this morning, though average for the week so far is 169.2 lbs. Bodyfat % is remaining a steady 18.5±0.3% (spread from the three methods I use).

7. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Starting weigh in: 228.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 208.8 lbs
    Goal date: November 17th, 2011

I am cutting the challenge down to 10 weeks for me. My wife's cousin is getting married on the 19th of November and following that we will be touring the great state of Wisconsin hitting such wondrous sights as the Mall of America. I don't expect to make any progress toward a weight loss goal between then and the weekend following Thanksgiving when one of my cousins is getting married. So I will be looking for a steady 2 pounds per week rate of loss.

Good luck everybody!

:claphigh:

8. tensdanny

Knock it out, fellas! I'm still wrapping up the last challenge... damn vacation. At any rate, haven't weighed in in awhile but my pants are loose to say the least, which is great!

9. astroguy

Average weight last week was 169.2 lbs. bf% measurement today was 18.0%. It's quite frustrating when the waist measurement does not change over the course of nearly a month. :(

10. tensdanny

Alright fellers, I'm starting out at 200 on the dot. Shooting for 180. We'll see what happens. My weight loss has really slowed down compared to how fast it went the past 6 months. What's strange is my activity and weight lifting frequency is at an all-time high.

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Are you still getting stronger? If you start to stall in the weight room or even see performance decreases, you might want to bump your intake up a notch. I have had to do that a few times in the last couple of months. Each time has resulted in rapid strength gains and sustained weight loss.

Just a thought...

12. tensdanny

Lenny, you very well could be right. I don't record my weight daily, weigh in at consistent times, or eat a very consistent diet. Because of these factors, my numbers are often inconsistent and the records aren't there to make a judgement one way or another.

I'm going to be more diligent in my measuring and recording from now until the end of September. If I don't see the changes I desire and deserve (I'm working ridiculously hard with all of the rock climbing, weight lifting, tennis, swimming, elliptical, etc), then I'll have to make some calculated changes.

13. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Weigh in today: 228.2 lbs
    Weekly change: -0.6 lbs
    Total change: -0.6 lbs

Oooookay... it's a loss, so I'll take it. It is really my own fault. My wiegh in
    yesterday was 226.2 which was 2 lbs from the previous 7 days. I didn't want to lose any more than 2 lbs in a week so I got smart(that's dangerous!). I decided to eat at maintenance for one day and try to hit 2 lbs on the nose for the challenge. Yeah...

I am pretty sure most of the extra weight is water(had about 50g extra carbs and a few hundred more mg sodium than usual), but it did take me by surprise. The bigger issue for me is that I blew a week of tracking progress and can't really make any logical adjustments based on last week at all because of it. So I've got my work cut out for me with a start like that.

:nope:

14. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Alright, count me in!

One year ago i was 232lbs. Back in March I had whittled that down to 189. I stopped dieting and exercising for the summer and put on a few that I had taken off, bringing me back around 199. On september 1st I weighed in at 194. I signed up with Mastover just a week ago to help me shed some more, and I think with his help I can knock this out of the park!

174.0 by Thanksgiving!! :bb:

15. astroguy

Weight is average of morning weights over Sunday-Saturday. BF% is measured on Sunday morning (though ideally it would be Wednesday, in the middle of the weight average).

Starting Week's Average Weight/BF%: 169.2 lbs || 18.5% (8/28-9/03)
    Week 2's Average Weight/BF%: 168.3 lbs || 18.1% (9/04-9/11)

16. madadsnt

madadsnt Well-Known Member

Im a little late but will do my best to catch up and lose 20 by turkey day!

I will have to get my weight tomorrow but I think I am at 205. I was at 242 a few years ago got down to 175 and stopped working out for the last year and a half so I am get fat again! I have been eating pretty healthy during the week and not so healthy during the weekends so I need to work on that. Lifting 3 times a week and cardio 4 days a week for a minimum of 45 each day. Definitely could use any advice anyone wants to throw my way. I have a spinal disease so I am somewhat conservative on what weightlifting I do but I think if I still with hammer strength type machines I am good.

17. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

Start: 194.0
    Today: 188.0

Got too busy to post yesterday, but i weighed in at 188. well on my way to that 20lb mark already! :claphigh:

18. madadsnt

madadsnt Well-Known Member

weighed in today at 201.6 so I am shooting for 181.

19. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Weigh in today: 227.6 lbs
    Weekly change: -0.6 lbs
    Total change: -1.2 lbs

Steady as she goes...

Same weight loss as last week, but my measurements show a gain of 0.4 lbs LBM this week compared to even steven on LBM last week. Not pushing me very fast to the goal for this challenge, but it is definite progress toward my ultimate goal. :tu:

20. astroguy

Weight is average of morning weights over Sunday-Saturday. BF% is measured on Sunday morning (though ideally it would be Wednesday, in the middle of the weight average).

Starting Week's Average Weight/BF%: 169.2 lbs || 18.5% (8/28-9/03)
    Week 2's Average Weight/BF%: 168.3 lbs || 18.1% (9/04-9/11)
    Week 3's Average Weight/BF%: 167.8 lbs || 17.5% (9/12-9/17)*

*N=1 for the average weight since I was on travel much of this week.