1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

20 lbs by September 1st... Who's coming with me??

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by tensdanny, Jun 29, 2011.

1. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Hit the 70 lbs off mark this morning! w00t w00t!

Vacation time. See you guys in a week!

10 lbs away..

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Weigh in for today: 239.0 lbs
    Weekly change: +2.2 lbs
    Total change: -5.2 lbs

Bah. Check my fat loss journal for an unnecessarily in-depth rant about what is going on if you really want to know.

3. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

I don't even remember asking you to write my update for me. :lol: This explains me completely. weekend inconsistency, stress, lousy sleep.

My wife is due on 9/2 and probably giong to go early according to doctors. Once the baby is here the stress should reduce because she won't be in pain anymore. Or at least if she is she will be able to medicate.

My fitness goals are still a priority. Just contributing things making it a bit of a challenge. Bumps in the road, not roadblocks.

4. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

If memory serves me correctly, the stress I had during my wife's pregnancy was exchanged for a different kind of stress after the birth. :lol: I'll cross my fingers that things are different for you and yours, but rumor has it that couples should make a pact to not take any disagreements seriously or make any long term decisions in those first three months of having a newborn. :lol:

Bumps? I think we've got some regular turbulence here, cap'n. Just gonna have to buckle down and work our way through it... a higher altitude might help...

:lol:

5. iceman21

iceman21 Active Member

Weigh in today: 298.4 lbs
    Weekly change: -7 lbs
    Total change: -13.6 lbs

I am so proud to say that for the first time in 8 years I am below 300lbs! I was so stubborn getting myself to this point but I am so beyond stoked I can't explain it. I feel great, although I am beyond tired from all that is going on in life right now.

The diet is not my cleanest but I am eating much healthy and working out the most consistently I have ever. 6.3lbs from the goal with two weeks left, I think I am good. Just have to keep my nose to grind stone.

6. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

Wednesday, 08/17/2011:

Weekly weight: 182 pounds
    Weekly delta: +2 pounds :mad:
    Challenge total: No change

Well, that was unexpected! Once again, I saw a sub-180 weight over the weekend but on weigh-in day, I am back up to where I started 1-1/2 months ago.

Truthfully, though, my waist is smaller and my bf% continues to drop. I am hitting the iron very hard for the first time in 2 years and adding some lean mass. I am probably eating a bit more to support that effort, as well.

Not sure I should have joined this particular challenge, to begin with! :lol: OTOH, my workouts were just beginning in early July, so my focus has morphed into something different now.

Anyway, the mirror doesn't lie and I like where I am headed, it just isn't reflected on the scale. C'est la vie.

Good luck to all. I will make the last 2 weekly reports, just to be thorough, but anything below 182 would be a win at this point. :tucool:

7. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Weigh in for today: 234.6 lbs
    Weekly change: -4.4 lbs
    Total change: -9.6 lbs

Well, that was a better weekly result. Still no chance for 20 by Sept. 1st, but it is good to be headed in the right direction again.:tu:

8. tensdanny

Weighed in 8 lbs away with about 15 days left (I'm taking the extra week due to vacation).

Time to get after it extra hard. Today I did not lift because after my tennis match my body just felt like hell.

I'm feeling a little better now, so I'm going to go do some cardio on the elliptical.

Since I'm right around 200 lbs, I decided to take my body fat tonight. It was 20-22% based on a series of measurements with my myotape and some online calculators. I'm really quite happy with that and by the time I knock out losing 100 lbs, I should have very low body fat.

I have two vacation days to burn at work before the 31st, so I'm taking tomorrow off and going rock climbing at a local gym I bought a groupon for. I haven't done this in years, but it was a lot of fun the last time I went. I'm going alone (they have an auto spotting system), so hopefully it's a good time! The pass I bought online is good for 5 visits, so hopefully I really like it and make good use of the next 4!

9. LateStart

Wednesday, 08/24/2011:

Weekly weight: 178 pounds
    Weekly delta: -4 pounds :spaz:
    Challenge total: -4 pounds

FINALLY!!! I broke through the plateau.

Have been between 180 and 182 for the last seven weeks! Bodyfat is now around 16% and this is the first time I have been below 179 lbs since 1982. :jumping:

In the past, low-180's have been a natural setpoint for me. My body seems to want to hover there, if left to it's own devices.

I'm now within 14 lbs of my long-range goal (~164 lbs at 10% bf) and feeling pretty good about overall progress, even if I won't sniff a 20 lb loss during the challenge.

#69 LateStart, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  10. MMacG78

MMacG78 Active Member

Haven't been here in a long time but weighed in at 182.2 this morning. Down 10 pounds from when we started this. I just really started focusing on losing weight the last 2 weeks so I like the 10 pound loss.

11. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Weigh in for today: 231.0 lbs
    Weekly change: -3.6 lbs
    Total change: -13.2 lbs

6.8 lbs to go and about a week left? I think I moved a little closer, but it still seems a bit out of reach. I would say that I'm progressing pretty well, though. It's nice to have a goal like this.to help lend some perspective. :D

12. tensdanny

Today I went rock climbing after work for a little over an hour. The gym was pretty empty, so I was getting a lot of work in. Having said that, I tried a lot of harder stuff today and kicked up the intensity so my upper body was absolutely fried.

Later on, I lifted back. The bar on the platform at my gym was swapped out for a thicker variant. I didn't like it. I'll have to switch back for the next session.

3x5 Deadlift
    3x5 Shrugs
    3x5 TBar Rows
    3x5 Lat Pulldown

My grip was destroyed at this point, so I skipped seated rows.

Next, I swam 750m. I'm getting infinitely better at swimming. It's quite nice actually. I have a 5 length routine that I do. Freestyle, side stroke, freestyle, backstroke, breast stroke. I do this routine 6 times, for a total of 30 lengths.

Finally, I just wrapped up 30 min of pretty intense cardio on the elliptical.

My body is fried. I didn't workout at all this weekend, though, so I really needed to get after it. Saturday I was out of town with my fiance, and Sunday, well, I walked around a park for about 15 minutes but that's about it :lol:

I saw an 11 lbs drop in water weight today.

13. LateStart

FINAL CHALLENGE WEIGH-IN:

Wednesday, 08/31/2011:

Weekly weight: 179 pounds
    Weekly delta: +1 pound
    Challenge total: -3 pounds

Well, not what I set out to do but 20 pounds was probably never in the cards for me.

By my rough estimation, I am at ~16% bf, which is down about 3% from 2 months ago. IOW, I believe I have dropped around 6 pounds of fat and added 3 or so pounds of lean muscle during the challenge. The mirror and my trouser wardrobe seem to agree with that assessment. :lol:

At this rate, my long-term goal ((~164 lbs at 10% bf) will be reached by year's end. Progress, for sure, and the challenge has kept me focused.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's final results.

14. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Weigh in for today: 228.8 lbs
    Weekly change: -2.2 lbs
    Total change: -15.4 lbs

Missed the mark by less than 5 pounds, and I am happy with that. Moving on to the next challenge...

15. tensdanny

I finished 12 lbs down. I have gone up in weight the past few weeks despite eating 2000 cals or less 5 days a week and working out 2 hours a day. It's really quite strange. I think I'm holding a LOT of water.

Onto the next one.