1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2 protein shakes a day - good/bad/neutral?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Prodigy, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

I have been eating MUCH better the past month or so, but I am really starting to look at it over the past few days. I have done alot of reading and have an idea what numbers I need to hit.

My question is can I have 2 protein shakes a day? I have noticed that my protein intake is a bit low and this would be an easy way to increase it til I learn more.

My stats: male, 5'10, 188 lbs with 24% BF. My goal is 170 lbs with 15% BF. Once I reach that I'm sure I will want to keep going :D

From reading I have figured 2100 calories (to lose 2 lbs per week) and want to do the 40/40/20 split.

Thanks!

Prodigy

2. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

Whether or not they are good for your plan totally depends on, well, your actual plan. What that is I've no idea, so you may want to list all of that.

~SC~

3. MikeAndLiz

MikeAndLiz Active Member

Sure 2 protein shakes a day is good even 3 or 4, they are there to help when you cant eat foods. Foods are alot better, well actually it depends what kind of protein shake it is, if its whey it's quick absorbing and that's good right after a workout. Mix your proteins, lol that's kinda funny coming from me the chicken eating king but seriously if you can get slow and fast proteins in your diet your body will thank you for it. For example, I like chicken because your muscles slowly absorb it throughout the day but after a workout when your body needs protein the most it's good to go with whey cause it goes right to the muscles.
    A word of advice though, if you do take 2 shakes a day which isn't bad, be sure and take them with a good carb source and fat because to get the right macros together keeps your body anabolic. Good luck.

4. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes.

But, as SC said and I agree, it depends on the rest of your diet.

2 protein shakes a day plus 1 whole-food meal a day would be a horrible plan. But 2 protein shakes a day plus 4 whole-food meals a day would be fine.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

More info

My goal:

Get from 188 lbs with 24% BF -> 170 lbs with 15% BF.

My plan on how to get there (under construction):

- fasted AM cardio 5 times per week
    - weights 2 times a week in evening (circuit training)
    - good nutrition (2100 calories, 40/40/20).

I am pretty happy with 5 of my meals, but not the afternoon meal. For some reason I can't figure that one out. This is why I would like to add another protein shake for the afternoon.

Today was not an ideal day (very early morning training a fair distance away) but I will post my meals anyhow:

6:00AM - 1 cup Cheerios (whole grain) + 1/4 cup wheat germ
    1/2 cup soy milk

9:00AM - Banana

12:00PM - 4 slices turkey breast (extra lean) sandwich meat
    4 slices whole grain Weight Watchers bread
    4 thin slices cheddar cheese
    lettuce, cucumber, tomato

3:00PM - Special K Bar

6:00PM - 1 chicken breast (no bone, no skin)
    1 cup garlic mashed potato (white, switching to red)
    1 cup carrots

9:00PM - Protein shake

As I said, not a typical day. My typical breakfest is an omlette (4 egg whites plus 2 whole eggs), 2 slices wholegrain weight watchers bread, 4 slices turkey bacon.

I hope I have provided enough information.

Thanks guys,

Prodigy

6. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I'm about to hit the sack for the day, but wanted to say that your nutritional approach needs some major over-hauling IMHO. Cereal, soy milk, bars, breads, etc., can all be replaced by much better choices to easier lead you to your goals.

Read around and see what 1fastgtx has offered to others, he has some good advice.

~SC~