1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

2 months progress. My best start ever.

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Blinkbear, May 1, 2010.

1. Blinkbear

Blinkbear Well-Known Member

So ya this isn't my first go-round here (more like 4th or 5th since '05, all catastrophic failures of course) but the point is I'm back... again. I ballooned up to my heaviest ever at the end of February this year, 287 freakin pounds at 6' tall. Just disgusting. So of course it was time to start anew. I bought a whole bunch of weight equipment because I've always just found it too much of a PITA to go to the gym, I was always just using excuses not to go. Of course wasting gobs of money on gym memberships in the process *sigh*

Anyway, I hit up craigslist. Picked up a nice recumbent stationary bike, a squat rack, a bench with leg attachments, an olympic bar and approx. 400lbs of plates (not all olympic size, I have a couple smaller bars, an EZ curl bar and dumbells that are adjustable to whatever I want using the plates.) I also picked up a Incline/Decline bench from Wally World because the wife and I work out together often and it helps to have the extra bench. Speaking of which I better throw a quick shout out to my wife who's lost about 20 pounds herself in the same period.

Cleaned up the diet, using somewhat of Fasted Interval diet loosely (ie. poorly) based on the leangains technique of an 8 hr feeding window and 16 hrs fasting, restricting calories pretty heavily (around 1500-1800 depending if it's cardio or workout day) but it's working for me and I haven't noticed any real dropoff in strength at all. So I'm not losing much muscle it seems, thankfully.

Anyway, I'm right around 255 now. I have a trip to Arizona with the wife to visit the inlaws in the middle of June and between now and then all I wanna do is maximize fat loss with the ultimate goal of getting down around 220 this summer, where I haven't been since I was probably 13 or 14 and I'm 23 now (ya I was always the fat kid). Then I'll go from there as far as deciding whether to keep going down, maintain, or try to put on some muscle. I don't really have any desire to be really lean. I'd just like to lower my bodyfat percentage and then probably put some muscle on so I can stop feeling like a weakling in the weight room heh.

I do have issues with my seemingly excessive bodyhair and that crazy dark skin pigmentation under my manboob (doc said its called Lentigo) that decided to just show up around my freshman/sophomore year in high school. I'll still probably never take my shirt off in public no matter how fit I get haha.

So... want to see some pics? Are you sure? OK, don't say I didn't warn you. :lol:

Feel free to fire away with any questions or comments.

#1 Blinkbear, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. kurent

kurent Active Member

I have one word for you: moderation. It seems like a day comes when you panic and start strarving yourself. After a while you just let it go and again you eat too much. Then another panic and the circle repeats. They say a donkey steps on ice only once. You stepped on it 5 times! Clearly you are not a donkey.

So my advice would be go easy this time. Slow and steady. Did you get fat in the last year? Were you skinny before? No? Then why do you want to get rid of all that hard earned fat so fast? Sorry, but it's gonna take a long time.

For a guy your size 1500-1800 calories is waaaay too low! You are loosing muscles also. Then you go back to your old habits and of course gain fat faster because you don't have that much muscles!

3. Rogozhin

Rogozhin Active Member

Good progress for two months!

4. Blinkbear

Haha, yes clearly I am not a donkey. But I do feel like one sometimes with the way people always like to call me up to help them move their furniture.

I do understand that the calories that I eat are probably a little low but I have seen people on here do very well on a calorie restriction that was lower than mine. If I'm not mistaken when Ca$on lost his first 100lbs he was eating around this many calories maybe even a bit lower but I can't remember for sure.

I dunno, it really is working for me and now I'm so used to it I can't even eat anymore I'm so full. I lift hard and heavy and I've been mostly maintaining in the weight room, even have gone up on a little on some lifts so the muscle loss issue doesn't have me too alarmed. I do appreciate the concern, though. These are all issues I've considered myself but for now I think I'm gonna go full steam ahead with what I'm doing since like I said, I've never done this well before and I'm feeling great. I'm extremely optimistic this time.

5. Blinkbear

Thank you very much

6. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Hey bud...

You're doing a great job...keep it up! Who the hell cares if this is the 5th, 6th or 20th time you've restarted? The important thing is that you did...way to go!

Nice going on the weight loss. I hear you on the calorie intake. Don't let others bully you into thinking you have to make changes. If it's working for you...keep it up. I'm in a similar situation as you, and find I'm much more successful with a caloric deficit greater than recommended...just as you've done. :claplow::gl:

7. Blinkbear

Thank you! :) I think also what is helping me greatly this time is getting away from the "You have to eat 6 small meals a day" myth that I've adhered myself to in the past. I would do it for a little while and then real life would start getting in the way and I would start missing meals and being in the kitchen all the time was always a major pain. Not to mention having mealtime roll around and just simply not being hungry after having eaten only a few hours ago.

The Fasted Interval approach I am using now is just really so much more easy for me to do. I get all my calories in during my 8 hour feeding window and I try to split it up into 2 or 3 meals depending on my schedule. I have no issues going 16 hours without eating. By the time the window opens up again, I want to eat. It's just working out great for me and I love it.

Thanks again!