1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

19XX and full or 17XX and hungry?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by GatorDeb, Dec 30, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Active Member

5'4" female, 170.5 lbs.

If I eat 19XX calories (1931, 1970, 1902, etc.), I'm full for the day.

If I eat 17XX I'm slightly hungry throughout the day but I meet by 7k caloric deficit for the week based on what I exercise (which I don't with the extra 1400 calories a week).

I tend to stay with fish, chicken, egg, all kinds of fruit. I try to eat low-glycemic (I try to eat 20% fat, 50% carbs, 30% protein and I pay most attention to how fast the food lets out energy into the bloodstream and not so much into carbs, so I'm not into a low-carb diet but I am into a low-glycemic diet... as soon as you mention LG people think low carb).

So hungry but with a 7k deficit or full with around a 5600 deficit? I do a full-body workout with heavy weights and short reps three times a week, and the other days it's cardio and spinning (only take classes at the gym, nothing else). I take about 15-18 classes a week (which I do for fun, so I don't want to decrease that... I enjoy it).

I started at 215 and these couple of weeks I stopped losing but I THINK I started gaining muscle because I went with heavier weights and took up spinning.

Thanks!! :)

2. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

Decisions, Decisions

GDeb,

FIRST of all CONGRATULATIONS on the 45 lbs (20.5kg) loss! :claphigh:

I don't have an answer that will break the horns of your dilemma. I do have some thoughts that will help you make a decision.

1) You need to know which calorie level is helping you accomplish your goal (you made that clear in your post)

2) You should make a choice that you can sustain and be successful for the long-term. ​

Thoughts on #1: Use a tape measure with (OR instead of) the scale. You mentioned that you know the scale doesn't tell the whole story. Pick a measurement (waist, bust, etc.) that you can use every two weeks and will tell you if you have lost body fat. Personal Example: I returned to lifting 11/29/2009 after a year off. In a month I have lost 1-1/2 lbs. My waist has gone down 1-1/2 inches. Obviously I've been loosing body fat (and gaining lean)--the scale is a poor measure of my progress.

Thoughts on #2: If you are always hungry (even slightly) you can't keep that up for the long term. Eventually you'll crash. It'll work for a few weeks (my own experience). Can you keep it up for six months? A year?

If you find (using your new measures) that you loose 1 or 1-1/2 lbs a week on 1900 calories that's great. If not you might try reducing your carbs a little and replacing those calories with fat. Fat satisfies better than carbs. You cals are still the same (17XX) but the fat holds off your hunger a little longer. Alternately try a compromise of 18XX cals or allow yourself 1 or 2 cheat meals a week (lots of folks on the forum do that)

:gl: Post what you decide and how it works out. I'm interested to know.

3. john_e_turner_ii

john_e_turner_ii Active Member

One suggestion, you might increase your fats and decrease you carbs. I recently switched from 40/40/20, to about an even 33/33/33. The extra fat really makes you feel satisfied and full much longer. Obviously, you want to focus on healthy fats.