1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

191 by February 1

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by carguy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I mentioned this challenge in my journal that I am doing with a couple of guys at my gym. It all started with me asking a guy who was about my height (6') what he weighed because he had the kind of upper-body size that I was hoping to attain. I thought I need to know how much he weighs so I would have some kind of target. He said 201, but that he was hoping to lose about 10 pounds and lower his body fat. That day, I weighed 181 and I thought we have the same goal, only we're approaching it from different sides. So we made the 191 by Feb. 1 Challenge. We weighed ourselves on the gym scale the following week and got another gym regular to join us. The original guy, I'll call him Joe, actually weighed 206# so he has 15 pounds to go. I (Mike) actually weighed 179# so I have 12 pounds to go. The third guy, Bud, weighed 204 so he's got 13 pounds to go.

So, if this challenge makes sense to any of your goals, please join us. I know it is kind of specific and would probably only work for guys in the 5'10" to 6'3" range. Otherwise, it would be too much weight for a smaller guy to gain and would be too little weight for a bigger guy.

Naturally, we will be doing this as cleanly as possible and taking our lifts and cardio up a notch. I plan to start a new 4-day split I found in the latest MET-Rx magazine that they give out at the gym.

So, any takers? We can keep each other honest. If I succeed, this will be the most I have ever weighed in my life.:eek:

2. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I'm right around 200 right now. Weight is coming off very slowly right now. Strength is going up.

Time to buckle down and take care of business.

3. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hey Danny. Glad you're joining us. I wish you success. Any other takers? I'd love to get one or two more guys who are needing to do what I am attempting, to gain 10 quality pounds. Reeze, are you listening? You need this.:nod: Chic, are you happy at 200# or would you like to get back to 191?

4. TooMuch

TooMuch Active Member

I am five foot nine 182 pounds. I could use some extra muscle :)

5. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Cool. 191 pounds of mostly muscle on your frame will make you a beast. Good luck. Glad to have someone else hoping to gain weight with me.:eat:

6. TheThirdMohican

TheThirdMohican Active Member

I'm in. Before I left for vacation I was 6' 3'' and 187 lbs. Got sick and now weighing in at 177 lbs. Hopefully a lot of it is water weight and I really only have 7 or 8 lean lbs to gain.

7. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Good deal. I know how getting sick can derail you. When I was on my first bulk I got food poisoning, lost a bunch of weight, and almost gave up on it. But I kept going, did gain some more, but eventually lost it. So this is the point of this challenge.

At your height, 191# will look great. Start eating and lifting.:eat::bb:

8. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

OK 191 Group. Starting pics are optional but I decided to post mine so I have something to compare to on Feb. 1. My weight was about 180 this morning so I've got about 11 pounds to gain.

What was interesting was I was inviting some of my workmates along on this challenge and one guy was talking to me about BMI. So for the heck of it, I went to one of the sites that calculates this and put in my stats. Right now, I am in the normal range. Once I gain these 10 pounds, I will officially be "overweight". I can't really see that happening by adding 10 pounds to my frame. Actually, I could only gain 3 more pounds before I get into that overweight range. So much for BMI.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 1127.jpg
      1127.jpg
      File size:
      63.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Looking great CG!

BMI is not for people who are in good shape. I'm not cut like you, but am within a couple/few pounds of being "overweight". :rolleyes:

10. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

I agree that BMI is only appropriate for out of shape and overweight people. Quite frankly, I looked into this a few years ago and discovered that it was invented by a Belgian mathematician in the 1800's and it is basically a math formula based on a person's bodyweight divided by the square of their height. I don't think it serves any real purpose for most of the folks on this site. I've never used a certain BMI to define my goals.

CG: Looking great for a 60 year old geezer my brother. I can't wait to see what you look like with an extra 11 pounds of lean mass packed on. The great part about approaching your goal from below is that you get to eat like a horse.

11. TheThirdMohican

I look so soft compared to you carguy :lol:

Will get photos up as soon as I get a chance.

Weighed in at 182 lbs now that I am better hydrated.

12. tensdanny

Day 1:

Food:

1 scoop protein
    16 oz skim milk
    handful of berries
    banana

1 cup turkey chili

1 cup turkey chili

2 extra large eggs (I'm out)
    2 oz cheese

1 scoop protein
    16 oz skim milk
    handful of berries
    banana

Squats 5x5 @ 215 - Absolutely crushed these. Read some articles about form today and really tried to focus on the things they were describing. I'm definitely feeling really good right now.

Bench 5x5 @ 180 - Was getting pretty heavy near the end. Grabbed a spotter for the last set. Didn't need any help, though, so moving on up next week. The first three sets are always really easy, it's the last two that challenge me.

Deadlift 1x5 @ 305 - Ripped off the ground. Read articles on form today. I'm inconsistent with my form. When I keep my hips higher, I get much more push from my legs and I rip the thing up like it's nothing.

Swam 1000M. Hot girl in a tiny bikini swimming. I haven't seen that before at the pool. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

13. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

Amazing what a little motivation will do to make you swim faster and stronger. :lol: Did you unconsciously suck your gut in while swimming when you saw her? :confused:

If there's a Mrs. Tensdanny out there, better you keep your eyes in front of you. :lol:

14. tensdanny

Mrs. tensdanny was no where to be seen so we're all good! She also understands that a man's allowed to window shop!

Food:

1 scoop protein
    16 oz skim milk
    handful of berries
    banana

1 cup turkey chili

1 cup turkey chili

2 extra large eggs (I'm out)
    2 oz cheese

1 scoop protein
    16 oz skim milk
    handful of berries
    banana

2 hours at the rock climbing gym. My body is so frisking sore! Rock climbing is brutal!

15. tensdanny

I did not feel well at all today when I woke up, but after sleeping in for a good chunk of the day, I'm feeling much better now!

I went and lifted and it went fine. The squats were really tough as my legs were absolutely fried.

Squats:
    5x5 @ 220 - Last set was really rough. I know I'll get it on 5x5 @ 225 on Friday, though. It was just a rough day.

Press:
    3x5, 1x2 @ 115 - Overhead press is ridiculously hard.

Rows:
    5x5 @ 165 - Focusing on proper form and pulling with elbows. Felt really good, though pretty darn heavy.

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Good luck with the four big plates tomorrow. I'm feel the same way with the overhead press, but they are effective.

17. tensdanny

Thanks Seltzer, I've lifted more than that before so I have no doubt that I'll get it. The encouragement is great! Thanks!

Just wrapped up making some jalapeƱo burgers. I took some lean ground beef, through a little cheese in, chopped up 5 jalapeƱos and mixed it all together. Honestly the burgers don't have too much taste :lol: Was expecting a lot more heat and deliciousness!

Today:

1 scoop protein
    16 oz skim milk
    handful of berries
    banana

1 cup turkey chili

1 cup turkey chili

5 large eggs

7 oz lean burger patties

Activity:

Gym was crazy for basketball, so I walked on a treadmill at 4mph at 4 degrees for 30 minutes. Then I swam 1000M.

18. Mauidude

Mauidude Active Member

That's the way it works with lean (90%) ground beef. Its fat in most foods that give it flavor. The choice is to either buy the 70% ground beef or add fat. One popular way is to put chunks of butter in the ground beef patty before you cook it. Most will melt away when you cook it, but enough will be absorbed by the meat to add flavor (you can add any kind of fat such as bacon fat, but butter has a lower melting point).

In addition, don't work the meat too much in forming the patty. Most people pound the heck out of it, which compresses it and toughens it up. Finally, don't constantly press it down with the spatula when cooking. Once again, this just compresses it, squeezes out the fat, and leaves you with a dry, tasteless burger.

Looks like your compound lifts are going great. I agree with Seltzer on the overhead presses. Man, they are killers, but very effective. Keep it up.

19. TheThirdMohican

Rough week at work and battling a cold...but bring on the calories now that I feel better :drool:

20. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Hi Guys. To save time, I'll call you TD and TM. You can call me CG.

TM, I had the same kind of week for different reasons and also didn't do so well in the eating dept. so I have slipped back a little on weight. I'm also now determined to strap on the feedbag and get eatin'.

TD, you do a great job of listing your meals and workouts. Obviously very organized. Keep us the good work.

TD, I've got to ask you a question. I have tried to read your journal from the beginning but it is quite long and I never get through it. So, how did you go from an average guy on the small side to one who needed to lose over 75 pounds? I missed that part.:confused: